Getting to Know You (Introduce Yourself!)

dafduc

• Members

Hi, I'm Ben, another displaced KC'er.

I live in Providence, RI - soon to be headed to Charlotte, NC. I have 2 year old daughter and another due any day now... I'll be 30 in January.

Sportswise, I'm into all things Boston - the Pats consume my weekends.

I play an S90 and an Electro 73 through a KP200S.

Looks like this is quite a diverse forum, I'm excited to be here! I especially like that you can attach photos to your post instead of having to host them somewhere else indefinitely.

:cool:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Er, I'm Mookus. The nickname I got cos I get hayfeaver bad!

I like synths. Drum machines, samplers too. So I don't have alot to say about organs, pianos, arrangers and that O thing! :p

Music is a hobby. I don't know it properly - just come up with a groove and make patterns on the keyboard! I'm an EE during the day.

Sports - I like football. You guys in the US might know it as soccer. The rest of the world knows it as football. ;)

I've also got a poor sense of humour...

Looking forward to a new era here at KSS!

• Members

Looks like the intros are going both ways, so I might as well toss my hat into the ring.

'Names Proteus, most people call me Joe though. I'm an EE by trade but I also run a small tracking and composition studio called Detachment 3. I spend a 70/30 split of my time between designing new audio gear and playing with it, and another 30% of my time goes to my family.

I've been here for quite some time, but I lurk most of the time, adding comments when someone has an extremely technical question about some obscure feature of really unknown synthesizers or theory.

I'm looking forward to seeing new blood in this forum, considering we've been short on serious technology discussions for some time. :-)

Welcome, one and all.

• Members

Originally posted by SumDumGuy

Is Red Winger or Phil B in the house yet?

That's gotta be you, FBJ, right? How ya been? Phil's probably tied up with work, as he hasn't posted over at KC or SSS for a while now, but I'm sure he'll find his way over here eventually now that Craig, dB, Phil and Lee are all coming here. Looking forward to rejoining our old discussions again.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. Thanks to all the HC regulars who are dropping by to say "Hi." The welcome is definitely appreciated.:)

• Members

Hello,

My name is Steve Force, and I also followed Dave Bryce, Phil O'Keefe, Lee Flier, and Craig Anderton over here from the other place.

I am 49 years old, married, 3 kids, 2 granddaughters, and currently working in Metro-Detroit as a global IT project manager on a global project at a Stuttgart-based automobile manufacturer.

Computer Science and MBA-degreed. Music has been my passion forever, but decided not to try to make a living with it. So now I am at a stage in my life where I can really enjoy all aspects of music, especially gigging.

I play several instruments, and have been a bassist for many years. fairly recent photo of forceman playing his beloved fretless

However, now I am focusing on keyboards and wonder why I really didn't discover them earlier!

Here is a link to my stage gear: forceman's stage gear

And here is a recent photo of myself: at a gig this past Saturday.

Am looking forward to meeting new people, confident that Dave will continue his quality moderation here.

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm from Amsterdam, the city which most of you will know from the green leaves one can smoke... Amsterdam has more to offer than that - come and visit it if you can. Born in 1961, married with Tanja.

I'm one of the KC movers, and yes, I am with you that the KC has lost some of it's rock 'n roll. Luckely enough we have brother Dave Bryce whom is one of the greatest rock 'n roll guys I have ever met. He has sheer attitude - not for sensible persons. (altough, according to Tanja, he can be quite cute...) ;)

I use the classic analogue stuff like a Minimoog, Andromeda etc. I did and still do factory sound design for Alesis (Andromeda, Ion, Micron, Fusion) and in the past for Hartmann (Neuron).

I play the guitar (Les Paul Special Jr. - Line 6 POD XT) a lot.

I ride a Triumph Legend TT motorcycle. I earn my money every month by making ad's (and websites) for a company which distributes and sell pro audio gear and musical instruments.

Nice to meet you guys! :)

• Members

Hi folks, I am another newby from KC following our mentor DB over. I needed a way to kill more time anyway. I am known as Dream over there.

I am 40+ and have been playing keys since I was 8 yo. I have worked in many different styles and configurations from solo to 7 pcs swing band. Started performing when I was 12 yo with my older brother and his friends cause they needed a keyboard player for their high school garage band.

I am currently in an ERIC CLAPTON tribute band called Slowhand doing a large mix of Eric's catalog. And I play in a band called Trick Bag which is a classic soul and R&B cover band. These happen to be the two best bands I have ever played in. I don't know how I got so lucky, but it is great. I also play at church from time to time.

My gear consists of my lovely 6' 10" K. Kawai which is my favorite.

I am currently gigging with

Roland RD 700

Yamaha Motif 6

Roland VK8M

Roland KC500

Rehearsal gear

Ensonic KS32

Kawai K4

Roland VK8m

Roland KC350

Fender Rhodes Stage 73

Recording and mixing with n-Tracks and my Toshiba laptop.

I look forward to making new friends.

• Members

Hey new keyboard friends,

I live between Cincinnati and Dayton ,Ohio. I'm 46 and started originally on guitar when I was 9. I switched to keys after bieng a lead guitar player in bands when I was 40. I have played mandolin, saxaphone ,accordion also. Currently I have my first job in a Party/Dance band as a keyboard player. I also play lead guitar for a 12 piece church band.

I will be looking forward to shoring up my weak spots on Synth and sampling.

I make a living as a trouble lineman (Hi voltage )and My wife and I sell industrial machinery and do a lot of traveling in the Midwest and Canada,,We are opening a studio in August . So If I get to know you ,I'll ask if your playing when I'm near your town and take in a show.

Greg (a.k.a. as Trill at KC):cool:

• Members

Originally posted by TheProteus

Looks like the intros are going both ways, so I might as well toss my hat into the ring.

Fair point :). So will I then too.

I'm Marc. I've been playing classical piano since age 4 or 5 (I can't actually remember not playing the piano), got into jazz by discovering a compilation CD in the house around age 7. I've been writing my own music since...always. My family on my mother's side is full of well accomplished professional (mostly classical) musicians.

At home I play a beautiful grand-sounding Nordheimer upright that's been with the family longer than I have. I got into synths/keyboards at age 13 or so, but I made a horrible purchasing choice out of ignorance; a Yamaha PSR-2000. At the time of writing this, I'm going to sell it as soon as I have the money (working for it this summer) to invest in new equipment, namely an M-Audio Prokeys 88, a Novation X-Station 61, and a number of softsynths (B4, Atmosphere, Oddity, Lounge Lizard, and as many freebies as I like). In the MUCH more distant future, I'd like to one day own a Steinway grand piano, a real Rhodes, a Korg Z1, a Yamaha EX5, and a Mac (full of softsynths). I've played with various jazz combos and bands in (and a bit out of) school, and am working on a few musical projects at the moment.

As my moniker just might suggest, my playing focus and musical interest is around all sorts of jazz and jazz-related music. My musical heroes include people like Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Miles Davis, Theloneous Monk, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, George Gershwin, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, J. J. Johnson, Dave Brubeck, Dave Weckl, Paul Desmond, Scott Joplin, and MANY other people.

By the way, Dave Bryce, reading some of your accomplishments...I'm impressed. I never had any idea of all that; now that I know, I'm very glad you've come to KSS, and look forward to the coming changes. :)

• Members

Hello everyone. I too am from the Keyboard Corner. I'm 57 years old, which probably makes me one of the older members around.......maybe! I have a wife with two kids from her previous marriage. We also have two shelties, two cats, and one cocatiel.

Played professionally back in the 70's in and around the Chicagoland area for about 7 years. Judged numerous talent competitions, received my bachelor's in Instrumental Supervision, Music Education from DePaul University in Chicago. Also taught privately in various music schools.

Current keyboard of choice is the Kurzweil K2500XS, which I simply still love. Haven't done anything professionally for a very long time. I have a small studio at home for my own personal enjoynment.

Currently I work as an inside salesperson for an electrical distributor.

So.......hello to everyone here :D

• Members

Hi!

I am Steve and I am a keyboard player (needs to be sounded out like I just stood up and introduced myself at an AA meeting).

I am 48 and have been playing professionally since I was 14.

I live on a horse farm in Lithia, FL which is outside of Tampa. Have 3 sons and 2 granddaughters.

I currently play in a band which specializes in rock music from 1964 to 1974. Nothing like getting back to your roots. I play a Roland VK8, Alesis 7.1 and a Roland F30 stage piano all through a PA rig.

Cut my teeth playing the bar scene in Boston. Still a huge Red Sox and Pats fan. The Lightining have however replaced the Bruins as my favorite hockey team.

Peace...

• Members

Originally posted by jazzed

By the way, Dave Bryce, reading some of your accomplishments...I'm impressed. I never had any idea of all that; now that I know, I'm very glad you've come to KSS, and look forward to the coming changes.
:)

Thank you, sir!

Since you're a jazz guy, you'll get a kick out of this - I was lucky enough to work for Miles Davis for a little while as keyboard technician on his tour crew during the '80's. That was fun... ;)

dB

• Members

Originally posted by BluesKeys

Hi folks, I am another newby from KC following our mentor DB over. I needed a way to kill more time anyway. I am known as Dream over there.

I am 40+ and have been playing keys since I was 8 yo. I have worked in many different styles and configurations from solo to 7 pcs swing band. Started performing when I was 12 yo with my older brother and his friends cause they needed a keyboard player for their high school garage band.

I am currently in an ERIC CLAPTON tribute band called Slowhand doing a large mix of Eric's catalog. And I play in a band called Trick Bag which is a classic soul and R&B cover band. These happen to be the two best bands I have ever played in. I don't know how I got so lucky, but it is great. I also play at church from time to time.

My gear consists of my lovely 6' 10" K. Kawai which is my favorite.

I am currently gigging with

Roland RD 700

Yamaha Motif 6

Roland VK8M

Roland KC500

Rehearsal gear

Ensonic KS32

Kawai K4

Roland VK8m

Roland KC350

Fender Rhodes Stage 73

Recording and mixing with n-Tracks and my Toshiba laptop.

I look forward to making new friends.

A big, hearty welcome to you, BluesKeys :)

Glad to see a fellow blues player in these parts.

I've been playing with a local blues band called Steve Grills & the Roadmasters here in the Rochester, NY area for about 12 years now. Over the years, we've opened for several major acts, like Leon Russell, Johnny Copeland, Shemekia Copeland, and Robert Cray.

To share a little of my background, my name is Jon. I'm 38 years old and really didn't start playing keys until I was 17. I'm originally an artist and have been drawing/sketching since I was 2(although my music is keeping me away from doing any art for a while). My keys playing life first began as a interest in synthesizers that later grew into more of a focus on technique and theory. My main styles are jazz/funk, Chicago or delta blues(like Johnny Johnson, Otis Spann, Pinetop Perkins) with a little N'awlins(like Professor Longhair, Dr John). I can play some jazz standards fairly well(more like OK), but my straight-ahead hard-bop sucks eggs.

Alongside the blues thing, I also play with a prog rock band(the band's website is in my sig) and a soul/r&b band. I also write/compose experimental jazz/funk music(check out my material in the soundclick link in my sig). My main weapon of choice for the blues gigs over the years has been the Hammond XB2(connected to a modded Leslie 25), but the piano(love my Yamaha S80) has become more dominant in these past few years. I've recently upgraded my studio with a new PC and Reason 3.0(controlled by my Korg X2).

I'm also a devout Steelers fan

GO STEELERS!!

:D

• Members

Hiya,

Another KC invader here.

I'm a thirty-something aussie who IRL is a nurse (albeit a desk jockey nurse now).

I also do freelance writing on music technology for a couple of mags, which means lots of freebies and no time to use them because I'm writing the next article :mad: I've decided my kids will have to be the ones that become the stars.

Nice to be here

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

Thank you, sir!

Since you're a jazz guy, you'll get a kick out of this - I was lucky enough to work for Miles Davis for a little while as keyboard technician on his tour crew during the '80's. That was fun...
;)

dB

:eek:

Are you SERIOUS? That's absolutely incredible! You'll have to tell me about that sometime :cool:

On which tours did you partake?

• Members

Hi people, I'm another KC'er joining in on the fun. Unfortunately I'm a B-3 guy without a B-3. I had to sell the B-3 because it wouldn't fit into the new house we bought. I suppose I could have brought it in upstairs & used it to play Christmas Carols at Christmas time, but that just wouldn't do. Played live in bands for the last 28 years & have ventured in the recording end of things. Live rig Alesis QS-8, Roland VK-8, & Korg MS-2000. Studio stuff Digital Performer 4.6, Reason 3.0, Waves 4.0, B4, Amplitube, & a couple of Alesis M1 Actives. I look forward to getting to know everyone!!

• Members

Originally posted by Postman

my real purpose in being here is to hassle DB about his embarrassing allegiance to the Oakland, no, L.A., no wait, Oakland Raiders.

Randy Moss.

LaMont Jordan.

:cool:

Enjoy Geri...ummm, I mean Jerry Rice. :p

Hi, Dave! Thought you could sneak out on me, eh?

It wouldn't be football season without you, my brother... ;)

BTW - I've got tix for the DEN/OAK game this year. :D

dB

Hi everyone.. yet another KC alumnus reporting in.

My name is Phil O'Keefe, and I'm not a "proper keyboard player" - I'm more of a two fisted hack. :D I've been "playing" keys since I was about 16. My keyboard rig is probably pretty laughable compared to some of yours - for example, I'm jealous of dB, who has a killer rig. :cool: I've got an old Fatar 88 key controller and a ESQ-1, and we also own a JV-30, a Kurzweil SP88X and a bunch of modules and softsynths, Gigastudio, etc.

My "day gig" is producer / engineer. I'm 42 years old and bald. I'm married. I live in California. I have three dogs and three cats. I like BBQ and a lot of different musical genres. I think that covers the essentials.

I'm looking forward to participating over here. You'll probably see quite a bit of me... right Dave? ;)

• Members

Cool thread. I've been around on this forum awhile, reading more than posting and also a regular contributor at the KC Forum. I had never seen an Introductions thread here, so I guess this is now my chance! I'll borrow some content (with minor updates) from a 3 year old post on KC:

I'm 35 and began playing classical piano at age 8 after being inspired by my dad, who kept me entertained by playing through the entire Dave Brubeck book from when I was still in diapers. I was more or less a classical guy until high school. I then happened into a production of the musical Godspell in 10th grade. I landed the gig as the onstage keyboard player, sort of a Paul Shaffer kind of gig in which I did interact with the actors and so forth. I played the school's Fender Rhodes and Hammond M3/Leslie 145 combo. This was my first real exposure to rock keyboards and I was hooked. Prior to this, the only real fame I received playing keys was knowing "Fur Elise" and "Linus and Lucy" in the 5th grade (a popular time for Charles Schultz and one of my early idols, Schroeder).

During Godspell (c. 1984), I began dating one of the makeup girls who happened to be an aspiring yet amateur keyboard player. She wanted to be Nick Rhodes and her dad bought her a Roland Juno-106 and Cube 40 amp. She used it a little bit, but it was collecting dust for the most part. She let me try it out and this was the first time I had really played a synth. I had this Juno on loan for awhile until I talked my parents into getting me my first synth. I actually agreed to delay getting my driver's license for 1 year in exhange for my first rig: Roland JX-8P, Peavey KB-300 amp, Ultimate A-frame stand. I still remember going to Chuck Levin's and getting this rig, which I still have to this day (minus the A-frame stand). I had friends that drove me around, so the keyboard rig via trading off the driver's license was much more useful to me than driving a car.

I started playing in several high school bands, doing a lot of different music. I was in a couple of 80's style bands doing The Cure, U2, INXS, etc. and then a classic rock band doing a lot of 60's stuff like the Doors, Animals, Beatles, etc. This band actually played UVA frat parties when I was a junior in high school. I was hopelessly addicted to playing live rock music by this point.

I went to college as a piano student, but then become more involved in the live music scene. I joined a band called Boy O Boy in 1988 and this band took off playing 4-5 nights a week up and down the east coast. Needless to say, I was getting my music fix outside of school, so I switched over to get an English degree with a music minor.

Boy O Boy changed names to Fighting Gravity and I was a member until 1997. We recorded 7 independent CDs during my tenure and the band is still in existence touring regionally and recording occasionally. We had a couple of close calls with record deals, but were never in the right place at the right time. We were featured in Rolling Stone magazine, which was cool. We were also on Star Search once (start mocking me, but it was actually a good experience). I have continued to sit in and also record with them since then, as they did not truly replace me on keys. I decided to leave the band after my wife had twins in 1996. I continued to do it part time but then decided to be a full time family man for a couple of years.

After the kids grew up a little bit, I started dabbling back into the music scene on a part-time basis in 1998. Since then, I have become a regular member of a couple of part-time groups and I also sit in with regular touring bands when I can. I have had a day job all along (even when playing 20+ nights a month), so the weekend warrior thing seems easy now. My wife doesn't always dig it, but when we were first married I was pretty much gone all the time. So the fact that I am out several days a week is usually acceptable to her.

My main gig these days is a 70's funk band doing general business gigs. I'm a major gear junkie, buying and selling on eBay all the time. I do remain loyal to a certain core set of instruments and have some "collectables" at home (Hammond, Leslie, other stuff) that I'll keep forever. My current gig rig is:

- Yamaha S90

- Nord Electro 2

- DSI Poly Evolver KB and Rack

- Stereo Motion Sound KT80s

Wow, that was pretty long! :D

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Hello to all. My name is Barry, I'm originally from the New Orleans area, now firmly settled in Friendswood, TX, and am 40 with a beautiful wife and two kids.

I don't do anything with music professionally, it's just an all-encompassing hobby for me. I've got a CS degree and sell visual simulation software to pay the bills. Music and gear pic here: http://mabacaza.com/page_barry.html. Comments (especially improvement ideas) much appreciated. I write everything in Reason, so I'm not sure why I have all those synths. Maybe it's because I wanted them when I was younger, but couldn't afford them.

Huge sports fan. Allegiances: Saints, Astros, Rockets.

Archived