Getting to Know You (Introduce Yourself!)

dafduc

• Members

I guess I'll jump in, as I'm sort of new and never really introduced myself anyways...

I'm 21, and am currently attending the School of Visual Arts as a Graphic Design and Motion Graphics major. No wife or kids, don't plan on those for a long, LONG time, but have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for over a year, so that's always good...

Within the next week or so I plan on starting my new job as a House Engineer for "EMG".

I also make short films and moving graphics, usually utilizing math, basic chaos theory (a new found interest), and am influences by abstract art.

As far as music, I started about 8 years ago with an "Old Navy" pocket memo recorder and Windows "Sound Recorder", making samples and noise. Eventually I got into Midi, and new music, and sound recording and sound design...

Anyways... Now I create somewhat abstract music, in what I think is referred to as the "IDM" genre. A lot of weird "random" or "glitched" beats, pads, noises. I'm a big fan of pretty insane sequencing, and utilize everything from random sequence generators, to hand written randomized formulas.
I've even began work on a new form of writing music (loosely influenced by the 12 tone system), utilizing numbers and basic shapes (lines mostly, probably squares too), with pretty good results. It's sophisticated enough to notate any particular note on the keyboard (the very particular note, as in not even a little general, but entirely specific). I've yet to create a system for rhythm within it, but that's pending.

One of my biggest (and most current) influences is "Autechre". They utilize everything I really enjoy about music, and do it in a very interesting way (usually). I just love the ideology, the idea of "remixing" over and over beyond recognition, creating things over time and destroying them, filtering things through several different parameters and just this total "Modular" idea... I don't know, I think I just got carried away by it and made up some of it myself, but this is sort of how I see it, and I'm running with that.

I've also been inspired by countless bands, the most important probably being "Aphex Twin", "Sonic Youth", "My Bloody Valentine", Alan Moulder, "Atari Teenage Riot", "The Curve", Brian Eno, "Godspeed You! Black Emperor", "Nine Inch Nails", "Portishead", "Sigur-Ros", "Squarepusher", most of whom I have studied or read about in pretty great detail.

Currently I'm sort of uninspired to actually write and record music, but I've been listening to a lot of classical music, mostly Wagner and Chopin, the latter of which influenced me to finally plunge in and take piano lessons for the first time, and I just started today! So far it's going great but I fear I will have to by a new weighted keyboard... you bastards!
I've also been creating a lot of sounds with my studio as is. Currently it features:
Mac G4 Dual 1.25gHz, 1.28gig Ram, 120gig HD, 200gig HD, a 17"LCD and 15" CTR. Running Digital Performer 4.
Tannoy Active Reveal Monitors, MOTU 828mk2 Audio interface, MOTU MicroLite Midi interface.

Akai MPC2000xl (32mb sampling, ext. zip), Clavia Nord Modular Keyboard (G1), Nord Modular G2 Engine, Ensoniq ESQ1 (needs repair), Korg MS2000, Kurzweil K2000r (16mb sampling), Yamaha TG55.

Alesis MicroVerb4, Re'an 24 point Patchbay, misc. guitar pedals, Panasonic Reel-To-Reel, Rode NT1, Shure SM57 (x2).

All that is working fine for me, and so far the only thing I'd like to add is an analog modular system for effects, and another multi-effects unit.

As for any hopes or future endeavors, I plan on showcasing my video work, and eventually do some installation work, hopefully play a few shows, but that's about it. I don't plan on getting signed, and I don't plan on gigging enough to make money off of that. I figure the combination of some engineer work, and my design and video specialties should get me around enough to make a living... maybe...

oh and I'm a HUGE sports fan, that is, Football (Baltimore Ravens) and Hockey (New Jersey Devils and any good defensive team).I do participate in fantasy leagues, and play ESPN NHL online when I can... dare to challenge me... :cool:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

real name: also Roald, 25, girfriend Judith, mechanical engineer, work as a PhD researcher on deep drawing installations, which produce sheet metal car body parts

After the basic music theory course, when I was something like 7 or so, I wanted to do some kind of brass instrument, because I was fascinated by the Music School Big Band. I was also excited by the then 'space age' DX7, M1 and things like 'memory slots'. As my sister already played piano, my parents decided it was better for me to start with piano before changing to synthesizers. So, that's what I did, practised quite a lot and had to play etudes and Mozart stuff, which wasn't what I wanted but I did it.

Then my old piano teacher made a mistake and let me play 'the maple leaf rag' by Scott Joplin. From then on it went downhill haha, I started to play all kinds of pop songs, switched to another piano teacher who didn't teach me anything but kept me playing..otherwise I would have quit, because I was 16 and anti everything :)

Then, finally, in '97 I bought a Roland Soundcanvas from my hard earned (car polishing) money and started recording and composing songs with my PC. Finally a 'synth' after all these years!

In university, things got rolling, jazz-wise. I got into the bigband, I could play any song directly from the sheet music but didn't even know what a C-chord was! There were two contestants: a guy with no feel for rhythm, but experience with jazz anc chords, and me, tight timing but no chords at all. Then the other guy said 'well I am quite busy at the time'. That did it! With the bigband I learned quite a lot. We, the rhythm section, decided we wanted to do less serious music at student parties and set up the 8-piece soul/funk band 'Groove Phenomenon'. In the meanwhile my gear had changed to JV1080 and the God-awful Roland D10. I discovered that Rhodes and Hammond were my thing, not synthetic sounds, or background strings. I played one of the first Nord Electro's and after 1 hour on the first preset I decided I HAD to have it! There went -all- my other gear for one 61 key instrument with 6 sounds!

Played with Groove Phenomenon and bigband for 2 years, more and more professionally, sometimes more than one gig per week, until I had to go to Berlin to finish my study. We did a 'goodbye tour' and holiday with GP in the south of France, a great experience. In Berlin, I was all on my own, had an old piano in my house. So, then I started to dive into jazz theory and more complicated chords.

Back in Holland I found my dream instrument, the Rhodes, bought it from a dad who was going crazy with his daughter's practising, he got my (also nice, like upright Yam CP70, dearly miss it!) Kawai EP608 electromechanic, I got his Rhodes! OH YEAH!

I now live in Berlin permanently, bike to jam sessions with the Electro. I play in some 'bands' but that is more recreational, we're all to busy to do gigs. I do record a lot of music though. Latest acquirement: the ARP Prosoloist, another classic I love so much!

influences: Scott Joplin :D , Paul Simon, Genesis, Hancock, James Taylor Quartet, Sade, Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies, all kinds of great music that Orangefunk introduced me to

• Members

Do you by any chance know my brother, David?

Hi, Geoff! I'm pretty sure that I don't know Beth, but "David Grace" sounds awfully familiar. The Film department wasn't very big, so I'm guessing he was in Radio/Television, which I also had courses in.

He might remember me from doing a cheapie flick, called THE BLACK CRYSTAL (1989). Anyway, tell him I said "Hi."

Speaking of Graces, I also worked with a cinematographer, John Grace, on a movie called DEAD RIGHT. Any relation?

PM me, if you want to talk more.

• Members

I'm Bill...58...currently living on my own. Used to live in Seattle where I played live locally, toured, and did studio work. Now live 200 miles east where things are a different pace. Still gig several times a week, sometimes for hire in bands, usually as a one man band in baby boomer bars, occasionally doing cocktail piano or piano bar jobs.

The only equipment I have left from the old days are a Yamaha CP-80, Hohner Clavinet C, Roland Jupiter 6, and Korg Maxi-Korg...everything else got sold for one reason or another. My usual gigging boards today are an expanded Roland Fantom S with a Studiologic SL-880 MIDIed to it, but I have a variety of stuff from the 1990's scattered around here somewhere.

Been an HC member for close to 4 years now....don't like mrcpro...it was just something I grabbed at the moment...now I'm stuck with it unless I want to start over.

• Members

Real name is Mike, I'm 25 and currently living with mom (recently single after a 7 year relationship), but it's great because when she bought this house I built my studio out of what was a woodshop, and I must say I'm quite pleased with how it all came out. It gives me a place to play all my instruments without being in people's way.

I'm currently recording an album, in the mixing phase right now. The link in my signature is aMySpace page I started which contains some of the material I did at home. Check it out of you want. I'm a guitar player first and foremost, but I have been playing piano by ear since I was 9, so I would rather say piano and keyboards are my main instruments. I'm pretty much a hack though...I can make things sound nice but I can't get too intricate. I finally decided to buy a synthesizer in 2002 after getting tired of continually purchasing {censored}ty casio and yamaha portable keyboards. I ended up getting a DX7 which I eventually sold, but it was a great starting point.

Other than that I'm pretty much a home guy, like to spend time at home and working around the house, riding my motorcycle, writing and recording any new ideas. The people here at KSS have been great help for me in understanding synthesizers and glad to be a part of the group!

• Members

Jaydubz AKA John Warren. I turn the "Big 5-0" in a couple of months, and live with my wife & two cats in the Laurel Canyon area of Los Angeles above the Sunset Strip. I work as a controller for a computer telephony company in Hollywood, and have been doing bean-counting for the past 25 years.

Born and raised in Pasadena, I started playing piano at 7 and flute at 8. In '64, I discovered The Beatles...and a real love of music. I fooled around in some garage bands in high school (John Muir, Class of '72) and hung out with David Lee Roth, who kept insisting that he was "gonna' be a BIG rock star!" Deciding I wanted to score film, I studied composition at Chapman University in Orange...after which I starved for a few years playing in bar bands and driving an ice cream truck during the day. In '79, I went back to school and eventually found myself crunching numbers for a living.

Since the day gig pays the bills, I'm left to create whatever I please - which is always nice! On the music end of things, I'm primarily a studio-rat (with a fairly virulent case of G.A.S.), but I think I've reached a point where more gear is just overkill and I just need to focus on really implementing what I've got. I like to think that what I'm writing has a fair amount of sophistication, then again, that too is relative! My musical model is based on an amalgam of Steely Dan, Zappa, Todd Rundgren, Joni Mitchell...with a dash of modern jazz and Russian romanticism thrown in there. My studio revolves around Sonar PE 4 and a Roland VS-1880, with a 32 channel Mackie board, Mackie 626s and a variety of outboard stuff. I compose using an Electro 2/73, Karma, WX-5 & a Roland HPD, complemented with the usual rack stuff: Motif, XV-5050, QSR, FSR, Akai 2000, MSR-2000, and a bunch of Emu mods. Acoustic gear includes: flutes, clarinets, saxes, guitars, bass, electric sitar, mandolin & theremin.

When not doing music, I focus my creative efforts on photography, digital video/editing, digital graphics and 3d. I've been shooting vert/pool skateboard photography for "Concrete Wave" magazine out of Toronto - the lastest issue features some of my shots of skate legend Steve "Salba" Alba. Working with a Nikon D2h 8 frames-per-second digital SLR, saving my nickels and dimes for the new D2x 12MP 8 fps offering.

Being a "Spicoli-like" overgrown California kid, I also love to surf, skateboard and snowboard. Here I am, kookin' out at the new Santa Monica "Cove" Skatepark, as "Dogtown and the Z-Boys" director Stacy Peralta waits his turn on the deck (in the blue)! :D

http://photobucket.com/albums/v22/Jaydubz/Cove07042005/?action=view&current=jaydubz001.jpg

• Members

Hi. I'm Andy, 44, single, no children but I have been adopted for the last 6 years by a nice American family. My card says "Andrew the Piano Whore" so you got both "the Pro" and "the Ho".:D

I earned a Business degree but I hate working in an office, I'd rather play music so I do :) and have for the last 14 years. I'm proud to be in a country band but also play alot of solo piano and blues gigs. I'm a blue-collar musician and I like to play for blue-collar people. Thanks to everyone for putting up with me (my brain does strange things after too much caffeine.).

• Members

I traned as an electronics engineer, migrated into computers which I did for 35 years and had a brief fling as a commercial pilot. I played in jazz and dance bands in the 50s on sax, clarinet and piano, and moved into a classical chamber group in the 60s. Nowadays I just amuse myself with two Yamaha keyboards, a grand piano and a pair of clarinets, doing the occasional gig just for fun.

Bryan

• Members

Well, like a lot of others around here, I'm a 50 something making house music -- well, music @ the house I mean.

I started life out as a drummer, but always wanted a synth ever since I saw my first one in a Monkees TV show video. We won't talk about how long ago that was....

After 30 plus years of chucking drums around to just about every dive bar in Florida, my back and my patience have run out.

I took a stab @ keyboards a couple of years ago, but it didn't stick after I got offered a drumming gig with a blues group.

As most anyone knows who's been in music for any time knows, things have a way of working out the way they should. Since the day job that pays the frieight won't allow me to gig anymore, I'm back to loving and playing synths -- PLUS I have my drums. It's the best of both worlds.

I'm about half way done with a little Synth.Com modular, and just got a Voyager to go with an Ion I've had for a couple of years now. I never thought in my wildest dreams I would ever be in a position to have either a Moog or an Arrick -- now I have both. Life is good!

My sincere thanks to everyone here who patiently puts up with the endless questions and BS. I've been an off and on contributor now for a while and this is a great group of people and musicians.

Everyone is welcomed -- even old burnt-out basket case drummers like me. :D

-bruce

studio1.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by Geoff Grace

Hey
Mike
, it's good to see another Arizonan here. (I'm an Arizona State University alumnus, class of 1980.)

Wow, I can't believe I didn't mention the name of my college. I'm an ASU alumnus too, class of 2004 Winter. :)

Kiru

• Members

Hello everyone,

Some of you know me pretty well, but it looks like we have a lot of new people so I'll try let you know a little about me.

I'm 35 (next week) and as of a few weeks ago am now living in Naperville, IL (outside of Chicago). I recently changed jobs to move back to this area of the country, I'm now a District Manager for Yamaha. The past few years I worked at Yamaha HQ as the Marketing Manager for Digital Musical Instruments.

Some of you may remember me better as "Kurzrep" which was the name I used on these forums a few years ago. Before Yamaha, I was a District Manager and later a Product Manager at Kurzweil.

Before Kurzweil, I worked at Sonic Foundry for a year and also had my own Sample CD-ROM company called KeySolutions. I began my career in the music retail business from a store called Sound Ideas in Columbus, Ohio (worked there 8 years) where I also went to school at Capital University.

I'm married and have a 5 year old boy. My goal is to get a CD of my own music done this year.

Take Care,
Mike Martin

• Members
Originally posted by Kirumamoru:

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Hey Mike, it's good to see another Arizonan here. (I'm an Arizona State University alumnus, class of 1980.)

Wow, I can't believe I didn't mention the name of my college. I'm an ASU alumnus too, class of 2004 Winter. :)

Kiru

Kiru, how cool!

It seems then that we had a similar education. Even though our enrollments there were almost a quarter-century apart, I wonder if we shared some of the same professors. I suppose the younger faculty members of my time, Glenn Hackbarth and Randall Shinn for example, are now the old guard. Perhaps, like me, you watched the Presidential debate at Frank Lloyd Wright's Gammage Auditorium last fall and told your friends, "I performed there!"

Here's a little trivia for you. I went to elementary school (Payne Lab) in the 1960s just to the east of where ASU's music building now stands. The music building land was our playground, and we sat outside on the grass there, as an art assignment, to sketch the construction of Gammage Auditorium. Ah, Tempe memories... Good times... :)

Anyway, it's great to see a fellow ASU alumnus online! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Another member of the KC invasion here.

My name's David, I'm turning 20 in August, and I'm going into my fourth year of a Bachelor's of Music, Jazz Performance at McGill University in Montreal. I'm originally from Toronto, and had the good fortune this year to attend the Banff Centre Workshop for Jazz & Creative Music, led by Dave Douglas. Other faculty included Vijay Iyer, Jeff Parker (Tortoise), Don Byron, Misha Mengelberg, Greg Osby, Mark Dresser, and many others. My main project is my jazz piano trio, but I also put a big band together in February of this year which I hope to revive in the fall. I had the honour of arranging Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" for her convocation at McGill in October, which also got my mug all over CBC Television. (The piece still airs from time to time, apparently.)

In addition to jazz, I also have played keyboards in funk/rock/hip-hop bands, and have done the odd gospel gig as well (some interesting experiences, being Jewish and all...). My rig, such as it is, is a lone Alesis QS8, Midisport 2x2 to a Toshiba M30 Satellite laptop running Tracktion, SampleTank & Sonik Synth Free, and a bunch of other free VSTis. (As you can see, I'm a neophyte in terms of technology.) My piano is a Boston upright. For this funk record I'm contributing to, I'm using a Roland Juno-106 and a Nord Electro 2.

Quick list of influences and favourites: Billy Joel, early Elton John, Herbie, Chick, Jarrett, Bartok, Dave Douglas, Beethoven, Mingus, Ellington, Shostakovich, Stevie Wonder, Brad Mehldau, Fela Kuti, Medeski Martin & Wood, Bruce Hornsby, Fred Hersch and many more. I have a soft spot for Cuban music and recently I've been on a Brazilian music kick (Gilberto Gil, Jorge Ben, Djavan).

I first met Dave Bryce when I was 9 years old at a trade show in Toronto. He showed me how to play the intro to "Angry Young Man," and I was sold. :)

David

• Members

Hi, I'm Amos -

I've been hanging around for a while...

I work in the industry as a service tech (and all-around, fill-in-for-anyone-who's-on-vacation man of many hats) for a synth manufacturer.

I have been making electronic noises since my Dad brought me home a battered old Casiotone when I was about 12 yrs old... although I think I was doing digital wave editing even before that, using SoundEdit 1.0 on a beige Mac Plus. I still love digital wave editing, although I am more focused on analog electronics these days.

I used to be in the only live techno/industrial "jam band" in the Southeast (that I ever heard of) -- we were called the Veterans of Future Wars. We should have toured more, but most venues were just kind of confused by our whole concept. We were really pushing the technological envelope at the time, using a PC to cut up and process live guitar in "realtime" before there were low-latency sound cards in the affordable range... we just used a delay time calculator and adjusted the buffers to give us an 8th note of latency. :) I won't miss gigging with a full-tower PC and 17" CRT monitor though. And we played outdoors in parks and on city streets with that rig!

Anyhow, I'm about 26 now and in school for an engineering degree, focus on mechatronics (robots and "smart" machines) - although it's probably going to take me another 6 years to finish because I love my full-time job and wouldn't trade it for (much of) anything. So, I just take as many hours each semester as I can without going under 35hrs a week at work... which can be a very hectic existence.

Nice to meet all of you.

PS) I am not posting in any official capacity as a **** employee; I'm just another synth geek over here. :) Peace!

rocker_avatar2.jpg
-Amos

• Members

An introduction seems approriate.

Hi KSS. My name is Jeff, and I'm part of the wave of immigrants who are overflowing the shores of the HC nation from MusicPlayer. Although this is my first post on HC, I've been an occasional lurker here on the forums for a long time.

My association with HC goes back, actually, to the very beginning, when Scott Lehman and his partners first started the HC site. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I've worked in the music/audio products industry for about 15 years, and have been a musician for nearly my entire life. I started on piano at three, guitar at seven, violin at eight, cello at 11, and bass at 13. My main instrument is NOT keyboards; I'm a hack player at best with an embarrassingly bad left hand. I'd call myself a guitarist who happens to play a little keys.

However, keyboards, synths and samplers have been a part of my life since I was a teenager. I'm pretty adept with most Mac-based sequencing and audio apps, and have used keys professionally as a player and composer, which is why I hang at forums like Keyboard Corner and now KSS.

Anyway, your new mod Dave Bryce and I worked together at Alesis. I was there for about 7 years, and left as the director of advertising/communications to go run marketing for TASCAM for a few years. I now have a little company of my own, doing ads, web sites, PR and so on for a variety of companies in the industry.

What else? Um... I have a bachelor's in music, so I'm pretty good at chatting about theory and such for those so inclined. My emphasis in my major at school was in both audio recording and music synthesis, which started me out using patch cords on an ARP 2600 and using an editing block to splice analog tape.

I still play and gig a lot, both on my own and in bands.

I'm in my mid 30s, which are zooming toward my late 30s.

I have a son going into 1st grade.

And I live near a beach.

I guess that's all. It'll be good getting to know the HC gang... at last glance, I'm the fifth highest poster at MusicPlayer (mostly full of silliness and sports talk, but still...), so you'll probably see me pretty often.

:)

- Jeff

• Members

My name is Wout Blommers and I live in The Hague, The Netherlands aka Holland.
I'm 53 years old now and I'm working as a teacher.

In the 60'ties of the last century The Hague had a blooming pop music community, in which I tried to be active also playing some guitar notes. Synthesizers were rather expensive these days, so we build our own, up to three machines. In these years (around 1968) I received my first lessons in electronic music.

After being graduated as a teacher my musical activities became more classroom orientated and I graduated in photography at the Royal Academy of fine Arts. I became again interested in electronic music and bought my first synthesizer (not building it myself): the Clavia NordModular Classic. Again The Hague is a good city to be, because a rather large group of users lives here. Besides a new large community pop artist (and some old ones) this town also has a large electronic music producers and is sometimes called the European capital of Electro, partly due to the activities of the Royal Conservatory, but mostly delivered by the underground movement, like Creme and Bunker.

After organizing some meetings over here, the Gemeentemuseum The Hague asked me to become an external adviser to the collection electronically music instruments of the music department. A wonderful thing, to play those old Moogs and SCI synths, just to keep them in order.

See:
http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/010_NordModular/014_Interesting_Threads/Folder/NMD2001/NMDay2001.htm
and
http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/010_NordModular/014_Interesting_Threads/Folder/NMD2001/PicturesInstrumentsGemeentemuseumDenHaag.htm

The 'The Hague group' has good contacts with a Swedish manufacturer of Digital Musical Instruments and we agree red is a beautiful color. I am a real fan of their concept. In view of the collection they are innovating.

Wout

• Members

I'm Chet, an amateur musician and synthesist. I'm a trumpet and trombone player, really, but I liked synths so much that I took piano lessons until I could play the basics. I'm still pretty klutzy on the keys, and probably always will be.

I'm 45, with a wife and 2 kids. I'm a self-employed computer programmer.

• Members

Humble also - Chet hs created some amazing Physical Modeling patches for the Nord Modular! :cool:

Originally posted by ChetSinger

I'm Chet, an amateur musician and synthesist. I'm a trumpet and trombone player, really, but I liked synths so much that I took piano lessons until I could play the basics. I'm still pretty klutzy on the keys, and probably always will be.

I'm 45, with a wife and 2 kids. I'm a self-employed computer programmer.

• Members

music stuff: home studio (how unique!)
Kurzweil K2000
NI Komplete 2 (amaaazing package)
OASYS PCI
FS1R
Guild acoustic guitar
Roland M-BD1
Roland 1680
Emulator X Studio (hey, this is a pretty good unit)
Sonar 4
various and misc

personal stuff: (minimal disclosures)
Texan - Lance's home town (go Lance!!!!)
family guy - first kid about to go off to college in the fall
day job - boring but necessary
my kids think I'm an old hippie, sort of
overeducated liberal arts major employed in the business sector

obsessions:
about 500 hours of music on my PC (all legal!)
record something, learn something, read, pray, do something loving and uncalled for every day

musical goals:
well, too old to be a rock star or dj, too young to just be hobbyist
would like to put out about a dozen albums of material and see if anyone in the world is interested - maybe recoup some of my investment in gear....

regrets:
depth sacrified for breadth
taking negative advice too seriously, positive advice too sceptically
not thinking enough for the long range in just about everything

successes:
enough people like me (if I don't talk too much)
family is pretty tight
food on the table, cars run, prefer not being rich
after gigs, I get the usual number of "good work" comments (the comments you can't tell if are just people being polite or if they really got into the material) and at least one super-enthusiastic response (these keep me going)

musical style I'm straining after:
would like to channel Medeski, Martin & Wood, Meat Beat Manifesto, Peter Gabriel, Thomas Dolby, and Weather Report somehow into a big glob of brain-putty that I reshape into something unique......

oh, yeah, I'm also a KC immigrant, albeit with a different name in that incarnation.....

nat whilk ii

• Members

Originally posted by Mintbeetle

btw, just wanted to say hi to BluesKeys. It's nice to hear from another synth guy from around here. I've heard about Slowhand and i think my brother maybe saw one of your shows. welcome to the forum!

thanks Mintbeetle for the welcome. I haven't gotten into the habit of checking this often. I take it you are in NC somewhere?We are based out of the Triangle area.

• Members

Allo?

Another MPKC alumni reporting in.
I'm 39, live just north of Montreal, married with 2 daughters.
I've been puttering on piano & keys since I was 7.
My first synth was a Univox mini-Korg when I was about 12, and then I added a Crumar Stringman shortly after. I used to have an old Hohner Pianet T (I think because Tony Banks had one..)
My older brother used to have tonnes of gear like an original issue Rhodes Stage 73, Roland SH1000, Arp Odyssey, Korg PS-3100, so I was usually surrounded by cool toys when he wasn't gigging.
These days I have a Roland D70 & JV90, Yamaha S80, Korg Micro-Preset (+ the aforementioned) for keys, and an Emu Proteus 2000 (ZR & Vintage roms), Roland XV5050, Alesis D4, & a Kurzweil Micro-Piano rounding out the modules.
I also have an old Starck 1956 baby grand upstairs.

I run Cubase VST32, Gigastudio3 & Acid Pro5 via Rewire, and B4,
Kompakt, Pro-53, PPG2.5, LM4 & Absynth2 for soft synths.
All the hardware runs from a Mackie CR1604 into a Delta66 audio card, then into a AMD Athlon64 3200 with 1gig ram. Midi is routed through a MOTU Micro-Lite.
Monitoring is via a pair of Adam P22A's.

I play in a Friday night band which does the occasional gig, for which we sometimes actually get paid.
I have a CD out with a former band called Group Therapy, and I am working on a solo CD which is taking a helluva lot longer than I ever thought it would.
I think I need a sabbatical.

Dan

• Members

Stefan, living in a small town in Germany.

I had piano lessons from the age of 6 until 14.
After that I took a rather long musical break, actually more than 25 years - no money, no time, no opportunity and so on - until I decided to buy something with keys again.
Nowadays I enjoy to catch up all that stuff that I dreamt about during high school time. I am still staggered about all the possibilities that modern technique offers.

Meanwhile I am 47, married, we have a 17 year old son, I work as an oral surgeon.

It seems that in terms of music I'll never grow up. I am not eloquent in my native language, it's even worse in a foreign language. So please forgive me if my attempts to write english sentences not always succeed ;)

Archived