Getting to Know You (Introduce Yourself!)

dafduc

• Members

Hello, I'm Chevy Chase and you're not!

Okay, actually I'm Geoff Grace; but you probably figured that out. I am also part of the Keyboard Corner wave (although I signed up here as soapbox back in 2001).

Thanks for the warm welcome from KSS members!

My info: I'm a working musician with a degree in composition. I cut my teeth playing in bar bands and then spent a fair amount of time in the record industry in a variety of capacities: as a keyboard player, a programmer, an arranger, an orchestrator, and as a producer and writer. Lately, I've been transitioning into composing for film and television.

December 7th will mark the 40th anniversary of my first piano lesson. (I was six when I started.)

My favorites:

Favorite keyboard: piano

Favorite band: Gentle Giant

Favorite composer: Igor Stravinsky

Favorite computer: Macintosh

Favorite DAWs: ProTools, Digital Performer, and Logic Pro

Favorite sport: football

Favorite team: the Green Bay Packers

Favorite time: the eternal moment of now

Favorite woman: my wife for 15 years, (stage name) janedoe

Hello to both old and new online friends!

Best,

Geoff

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lot of KC'ers are chiming in, so I'll keep this short:

Dave Pierce, 40 (ouch). Married, no kids. Two bands: Ritmo (Santana Tribute Band) and That Seventies Band (really cheesy but fun casuals band).

Played keyboards and other instruments since I was a little kid. Mostly taught by my mom, an ear-trained Southern Gospel pianist. Some formal lessons, including public school music programs (on trumpet). Did the all-original hard rock band thing in the 80s, then took the 90s off from live playing.

I'm heavily into groove, and I love to slap pop and smear, Hammond-style. My piano chops are strictly hack-level. I love the blues, and have done a couple of blues bands, including a failed attempt at starting an all-original funky blues band.

My live rig:

Roland RD-700

Nord Electro v2 61-key

Alesis Micron

Speakeasy Vintage Tube Pre-amp

Motion-Sound KBR-M

Looking forward to hanging out with you guys here!

--Dave

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Hi everyone.. yet another KC alumnus reporting in.

My name is Phil O'Keefe, and I'm not a "proper keyboard player" - I'm more of a two fisted hack.
:D
I've been "playing" keys since I was about 16. My keyboard rig is probably pretty laughable compared to some of yours - for example, I'm jealous of dB, who has a killer rig.
:cool:
I've got an old Fatar 88 key controller and a ESQ-1, and we also own a JV-30, a Kurzweil SP88X and a bunch of modules and softsynths, Gigastudio, etc.

My "day gig" is producer / engineer. I'm 42 years old and bald. I'm married. I live in California. I have three dogs and three cats. I like BBQ and a lot of different musical genres. I think that covers the essentials.

I'm looking forward to participating over here. You'll probably see quite a bit of me... right Dave?
;)

You mean 62 right? 52 maybe?

:p

And eric - you forgot to mention one of your crowning achievements, the one I am hopelessly trying to emulate ;)

• Members

Hi, I'm Jerry Aiyathurai.

I live in Texas and will be moving to Connecticut next month.

I've had a dual citizenship with KC and KSS for awhile. KC is where I got the habit, and I felt at home at KSS since I first found this place. With KC I got to know Dave and his friends, participated in three excellent CD projects and learned more about synths than I thought possible. I also have had the privelege of meeting Dave and Steve (another forumer) in the flesh and they were way cool.

I love synths and programming. Particularly the noises that make people say " What the @!#$%$# was that?". Currently the Nord Modular is my favorite machine for "What the @!#$%$# was that" sounds. I also enjoy the performance side of keyboards. Simple things like slapping a keyboard silly with a B3 patch. Doesn't take much to make me happy. :D

Looking forward to hanging around. Maybe lurking a little less and posting a little more.

Jerry

• Members

Hi, I'm Jerry Aiyathurai.

I live in Texas and will be moving to Connecticut next month.

I've had a dual citizenship with KC and KSS for awhile. KC is where I got the habit, and I felt at home at KSS since I first found this place. With KC I got to know Dave and his friends, participated in three excellent CD projects and learned more about synths than I thought possible. I also have had the privelege of meeting Dave and Steve (another forumer) in the flesh and they were way cool.

I love synths and programming. Particularly the noises that make people say " What the @!#$%$# was that?". Currently the Nord Modular is my favorite machine for "What the @!#$%$# was that" sounds. I also enjoy the performance side of keyboards. Simple things like slapping a keyboard silly with a B3 patch. Doesn't take much to make me happy. :D

Looking forward to hanging around. Maybe lurking a little less and posting a little more. Are any of you from CT?

Jerry

• Members

I've been around for a while, but I don't think I've said much about myself.

My name is Dave and I currently live in Chesapeake Beach MD and work in Washington, DC as a graphic designer/marketing associate.

I'm 28, have a girlfriend, but no kids marriage etc. yet.

I started playing music at age 9 or 10. Started with piano lessons for a few months, but then quit and started playing electric guitar.

Depeche Mode, Joy Division and The Cure got me into synths and I moved over into that realm because no one was playing synths during the grunge era and I liked how versatile and different they could sound compared to guitar and other instruments.

I've played in a couple of pretty sucessfull bands over the years. Had the pleasure of opening for such acts as Santana, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe (he plays all the sax on Lenny Kravitz's "Let Love Rule" album and is highly respected for his work with Robert Walters and the Greyboy Allstars).

I've recorded an album of mostly my own material in a first class studio and got lots of critical acclaim and even some interest from EMI.

That band fell apart because of people's having kids, getting married etc.

These days I focus on writing and recording hoping to shop some demos around to some labels.

I record on a ProTools LE system.

You can see my gear list in my sig.

Long live KSS!! :)

• Members

Originally posted by jazzed

Dave Brubeck ... Paul Desmond

The genius that is Dave Brubeck... and the dry martini sax that was Paul Desmond. I miss Desmond now that he's gone and I know I'm gonna miss Bru when he goes-- and if there's any justice in the world, the world will miss him too.

• Members

Hi everyone, I'm Kiru Mamoru (23/straight male). My given name is Mamoru but everyone calls me Kiru 'cause that's how I sign my messages. Only my real name isn't actually Kiru Mamoru. So I suppose that technically, Mamoru is my taken name, and... ah, screw it, that's a lame joke. :o

My real name is a loosely guarded secret. I'll clear up a surprisingly common misconception by stating right now that I am not, in fact, Japanese. I don't understand why people would think that ( ;) ) but they do, so anyway, now you know. I have posted a picture of myself before but since my university took away my server space when I graduated, I don't have it online anymore. People keep telling me I look like Sir Elton John, but he doesn't have my 8" long ponytail. Also, I've lost like 20 lbs since that picture so I really should take a new one.

Anyway, I was raised as a classical violinist since I was five years old, but I've always had an affinity for keyboards and synthesizers. I majored in Music Composition in college (after a year as a Japanese Language major) and own or have owned five or six different synthesizers... I have a Yamaha Motif ES and a Yamaha FS1R right now, with a Yamaha P-250 that I've given to my mom on an extended loan. Truth be told, I don't use them much right now. I've actually started playing violin again, after setting it aside through much of college, though I still love synths (and pianos; I'm rather passionate about pianos). Problem is, I pretty much suck at actually playing keys.... :o

The high point of my college career was pretty much the semester where I had ready access to a Roland System 700. I... like big modulars, and I cannot lie... you other brothers can't deny.... I also worked as a sound technician while I was in school (best job ever) recording concerts and running live sound. I've had the full course academic training: theory, counterpoint, orchestration, jazz arranging, history, and I've also studied orchestral and choral conducting and done some voice lessons and I sang in a chorus.

Now I work at a health center called the Kushi Institute, in Becket, Massachusetts, doing office work and helping to run our Summer Conference, which is in Vermont in a few weeks. I'm trying to eat healthily to fix all the damage I did to my body with my rather amazingly unhealthy college lifestyle.... When I'm not working, I spend my free time these days practicing violin and hanging out (and falling in love in what are probably hopeless relationships :( ). I think I am gonna start composing again sometime soon... maybe after the Summer Conference madness is over. I'm also thinking maybe I'd like to go back to school, but I am not going to do that until I'm sure I know what I really want to do... I'm not gonna do it just because I have nothing better to do. Conducting is a dying art, but one I find compellingly attractive.

Basically, when all is said and done, I love music of almost every kind. I'm even started discovering music I'd never had an interest in before, whether it's James Taylor at Tanglewood or a proto-country singer named Lefty Frizzle (though my affinity for asian pop music remains unabated). And that's pretty much that. :)

Kiru

• Members

Hi all - I'm Dr J.

That's originally my fearsome gaming nick;

"You're sentenced to fragmentation - KABOOOOM!!!".

Some might say I'm too old to play, but in some respects

I refuse to grow up :)

I was born a geek. Learnt binary before decimal.

Then I learnt to play the flute and the trumpet.

Been heavily into synths since the start of the 80s

and I'm part of a strictly electronic band.

I'm on the forums to hang out with fellow synth enthusiasts

and to share knowledge about synths and electronic music.

I don't play keyboards well and I'm not into american football.

In sports it's racing that gets my heart doing just that.

So my cheering call would be "Go Petter! Go! Go! Go!".

DJ

--

• Members

Very cool thread.... In my 3-4 years of coming to KSS I don't think I've ever participated in a thread like this (if I did I can't remember). Welcome to all KC'ers.... I feel a new dawn approaching!!!

Moniker is wheresgrant.... name is simply Grant. The name evolved from a pretty successful cover band that I was for 6 years. I simply never made it to practice on time and the name just stuck.

I'm 35, single living with girlfriend and two overfed felines. Started playing organ at 3, trumpet at 8 and guitar at 16. Outside of 6 years of trumpet lessons, 4 piano lessons, two three credit class on written and aural theory everything I've learned, I taught myself.

My first association with synths was listening to my babysitters copy of "The Cars". Greg Hawkes mono and poly synth lines gave me hope even at an early age that things didn't always have to be hit , picked or strummed to make good music. I quickly gravitated toward any music that contained synth textures... Yes, Genesis, Rush... even Gary Numan. My first experience with a synth was on an overnight ski trip was in 1985. The resort we stayed at had a Casio CZ5000 in the lobby (a weird model that had a wood furniture stand and base). Shortly after that I used my summer savings of two jobs and $ gigs playing trumpet in a fireman's marching band to buy a Korg DW8000. At the time it was amazing, and still is my most favorite synth I've ever owned. I took it to college with me and for four years I played guitar and keys in a progressive rock original band called "Mischief" After college, we broke up and all went seperate ways. I sold my DW8000 with the intention of buying an M1. I never did. Instead the $500 went toward a new guitar and rent.

Even though I continued to play in various original and cover bands I was without a keyboard for a good six years. I would stop in stores, play with the latest synths but never follow through on any purchase. Then in 99 I purchased a Korg N5. I fooled with it for a few years until I saved enough cash to get a Triton LE. A workstation was completely new ground for me and was a class in itself on programming and tweaking. I slowly began programming, writing and recording. About 2 years ago I was approached by some ex-bandmates to rejoin their cover band on 2nd guitar. I made the suggestion to incorporate keys. Since then I have been in acquisition mode for both hardware and knowledge. Since Sept 2003 I've owned EMu Pk6 (since sold), another DW8000 (since sold), Roland XP30, Korg MS2000B (since sold), Korg X5Dr, Alesis Micron, and finally a Yamaha EX7, Spectrasonic Atmospheres, Sonar 4, Karmalab's Karma Triton Software, Absynth 2, and Garritan GPO. All financed through gig $, of course. Recently, I've formed a side progressive/ambient instrument recording project with a few local musicians. I'd like to add another keyboard player or even two. ;)

DCP04536.JPG

• Members

Hi everyone - I'm Mark or Markyboard. I'm mostly a 45 year young smart ass from KC but have ocassionaly posted here on HC.

I grew up(almost) and went to school on Long Island, lived in LA for 15 years working for Hughes Aircraft and now work for Boeing in N. VA as EE.

I started piano when I was 4 - my dad taught me classical for 12 + years. Joined a few top 40 w/originals thrown in type bands out of college and broke into a most unsucessful part time solo career for several months doing all Doors and originals. I gave up gigs and made demo songs for many years but stopped doing anything productive once we had my 2 wonderful kids. My wife is the best and still puts up with me.

Home personal use studio:

I'm into analog (like many here) , big Moog fan ( have Memory+, Mini and Voyager), don't care for sample playback except for Wavestation (I have A/D and Legacy, and soon possibly an S90ES for mostly controller), A6 (refuse to call it Andy), Z1, CP-80, CX3 (mostly as controller for B4) and FM-7 (big DX fan). I have PC with SX3 - was a Logic user before the big screw. I bought a mint B3/122 last year(living room) and I have a 147 w Speakeasy Vint Tube Stereo pre for my B4/CX-3). ADAM 2.5As/ Genelec 1031APs and Mackie 32x8. Waiting for Ivory on PC.

Mostly I noodle around. I love to program my own patches (exclusively so far but S90 may change all that). I like to play as opposed to triggering arpegiators, sound effects, noises etc. Trying to learn a little jazz(its difficult coming from classical) and I have perfect pitch(whoopee).

I work on my house/yard,watch football(Jets/Cowboys fan), all the kid type stuff(9.8 year old girl, 11.5 year old boy) , recently gave up video games, working out (currently), drinking beer and hanging on this site and KC.

Life is good.

• Members

Hi again, guess I'll say a little more than "Hi," again...

You can call me Birdie, my moniker comes from Peter Seller's 1967 film "The Party". I am 48 tonight at midnight. I have a 17 year old daughter and a lovely wife, been married 25 years. I work in Hollyweird doing music notation, for individuals recording demos for them, and for publishers notating songbooks. I used to use pen and ink, now it's the Finale music program.

My father was a noted (pun) composer and I grew up with a nice Steinway and access to nice synths like the EMS VCS3 ("Putney,") SC Pro One and in college (Cal Arts) a Buchla. I do write a lot going back to my teens and consider myself a "Sunday composer" and hope to have my material published (and promoted) sometime. Then I will be considered a "late starter" like Janacek. ;) My stuff ranges from contemporary classical to rok whatever that is with a dollop of world and American folk. I am shy and don't post my stuff online but will tear off my clothes and reveal my true secret identity someday (hint: I wear one large glove, am very pale, my nose is a mess, and my initials rhyme with "BJ").

I don't pretend to be a synth expert but I enjoy programming as well as playing and composing with them, and also with piano, percussion and acoustic guitar. I love guitarists, my daughter plays (and is into Pink Floyd and Yes, bless her). I am currently learning Logic which replaces my ADAT recording which replaces my TEAC 3440 which replaced the 3340. My main influences are my father, Beethoven, the Beatles, Frank Zappa, Peter Paul & Mary, Wild Man Fischer, Anna Russell, Mrs. Miller, Tiny Tim, Spike Jones and the twin gods of singing William Shatner & Leonard Nimoy. I am a happy fellow and very glad to be alive. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Still Learning

Happy B-Day Birdienumnum
bday_cake_e0.gif
Have a great night! I'll bet your daughter liked to see the Pink Floyd Reunion on Live 8. I saw Floyd back in the 70's at Milwaukee County Stadium for the Animals tour, boy that was a long time ago!

:othank u

• Members

Hey all, I'm also among the new wave of immigrants from MP, following dB's lead. I've known DafDuc (virutally) since, what, VS Planet? Or was it HR? :D

Anyway, I play keys mostly, bass sometimes, and guitar and percussion occasionally. Once in a while I even try to sing, but right now I'm in a Latin jazz/instrumental band, so ears everywhere are happier.

I've been playing bass and keys since my early teens ... my first synth was a Juno 106, which I bought with my own money (that plus the Cube 60 amp were like $1,000 ... big commitment for a 15-year-old). I studied piano (jazz and classical) at university, first as a major, then I changed my major to English and minored in music.

Through school, I got hooked up with the Gamelan (Indonesian orchestra) there, first taking classes and then being invited to play in the professional Gamelan of Lou Harrison, who was the college program's founder (the class teacher was his music director in the pro group). That resulted in my getting to play a bunch of concerts, perform a national live radio broadcast, and record a couple of CDs with them. The coolest gig I ever did was with them: we played in a telescope (the dome, not the tube aiming at the sky :))

I've also played in originals and cover bands, dabbling in just about every kind of popular music (folk, country, jazz, R&B, blues, grunge, punk, metal, alt rock, etc etc etc) as bassist and/or keyboardist. Recorded on some sessions for local singer/songwriters ...

But I always had a thing for the Latin sound. I spent amost 10 years off and on co-leading and originals-based Latin-rock band. From there I met some of the people who originally created that sound, and I met the guitarist I've been playing with for almost 3 years now. That project is Latin jazz of sorts (uses authentic rhythms, but also has elements of funk and blues). We released a CD earlier this year ... we're working on more tunes, always. For me, it seems to be about the writing and composing most. Because of that I don't see me going back to playing in a cover band anytime soon, but, ya never know ...

My keyboard rig is simple: Nord Electro 2 and Kurzweil PC2 through two Motion Sound KT80s for stereo.

I freelance as a writer and editor too. I use my editorial experience and skills and music knowledge to co-write a music book with a music teacher a couple of years ago ...

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now. So, ... HI! :cool:

PS: dB, too bad we don't have the little "wavey" emoto-guy here ...

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

I also do voice over stuff - mostly commercials and the occasional video game (anybody ever play Star Control II: Masters of the Ur-Quan? I'm a bunch of those voices).

That's way cool Dave!

Right now I'm looking at my copy of Star Control II for the 3DO. There's no credits printed in the manual - only we at KSS have gained this unique knowledge :D.

Too bad I no longer have a console to play it on....

Edit: found a separate credits sheet in the pack. And there you are, David Bryce as:

Kohr-Ah, Ilwrath, Shofixti, Fwiffo & other Spathi.

DJ

--

• Members

Originally posted by DrJustice

That's way cool Dave!

Right now I'm looking at my copy of Star Control II for the 3DO. There's no credits printed in the manual - only we at KSS have gained this unique knowledge
:D

I am the voice of four aliens. The standouts for me were the Ilwrath and the Ur-quan (I loved doing both of them - especially the Ilwrath).

I was also the Spathi and the Shofixti. :cool::D

dB

Archived