Getting to Know You (Introduce Yourself!)

dafduc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi, I'm Jerry. The first keyboard I bought was a Moog Opus 3 in 1983. This was followed by a Roland Jupiter 6 (I still own this one) in about 1986 or 1987.

I played throughout college but took a 15 year layoff after graduate school.

My wife volunteered me for a band about four months ago, playing mostly 60's-80's rock.

I now own a Yamaha S08 and a rackmount Novation A-Station in addition to the JP-6.

I reside in the Houston metro area.

• Members

Hi my name is Ben.

I'm a sound engineer working on the national radio station in my country. I'm also a musician : I play percussions in a band with bouzoukis, didgeridoos, flutes etc.

I'm also a composer of electronic music. I have a project with a choreographer, creating a small company for our productions. We're also creating a show involving, well, dance and electronic music, where we have almost 12 tracks ready.

I work on cubase (mainly) and protools, with a G2 engine, a remote 49, an Emu E5000 sampler, a roland pad and an old roland R-5, and various softsynths (reaktor and v-station).

I don't post often (my track count suggests it quite well), but read regularly and have learnt a lot in the past.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hallo,

My name is Sioux and I live in NC. I met David Bryce a few days ago when I bought the P11A monitors and discovered that he named the Andromeda. So I'm here to help fill up his groupie jar. :)

I love the Andromeda and Tangerine Dream. I'll be releasing my first cd this year. Pretty excited about that. During the day I'm a graphic designer and mess with video stuff in my spare (ha ha) time.

:wave:

cya around...

Cheers,

Sioux

• Members

My name is Gilberto Strapazon, 44, I live in Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil. No childrens and only one girldfriend :thu:

I play keyboards as a try to be a second activitie. I like progressive rock, and I compose instrumental (near orchestral).

I have done scores to TV documentaries and some music for meditation and others.

I am also a writer on '.'ocultism.'. and I like to use humoristic aproaches when I write. I also write something about music and computers.

I don

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi, all. I'm Brett. I'm 38, and live in Sacramento, CA. I've been playing keyboards for most of my life. I'm primarily self-taught, and started playing by ear around age 3 or 4, according to my parents. Never actually learned to read music. Started playing in bands around age 12... primarily all types of rock and also blues. As you can guess form my user name, I'm playing in a Styx tribute band right now (I've been a huge fan since I was 13). Before that, I was in a Blues Brothers tribute band for 5 or 6 years. I recently also started booking other tribute bands. My current live rig with the Styx tribute consists of a Roland JD800, a Hammond XB-1 through a MotionSound Pro-3T/LowPro leslie, a Roland A-37, and a Kurzweil SP88. My rack contains a Korg Triton Rack, an Oberheim Matrix 1000, a Digital Music MX-8 MIDI patchbay, a TC Electronics M300 effects unit, a Rolls 19x2 mixer, a BBE Sonic Maximizer, and a Juice Goose power conditioner. I also have a Waldorf Q Rack and a Novation A-station at home, which haven't been worked into my live rig yet, although the Waldorf may soon. My guitarist also uses my Yamaha CS1x and MicroKorg on the other side of the stage (the MicroKorg just as a vocoder). For my "real job", I work as a respiratory therapist.

• Members

Hi Daf! Welcome in this great family. I've been lurking in this forum since 2002. Now I decided to come out. I think that this is one of the most interesting keyboard forum in the world.

I'm also with the same opinion ad you: if we are not gear junkies it doesn't worth expencive gear. I think it's time to wait few years and buy the same keyboard at 2/3 or 1/2 the price.

:D

• Members

I've been here for a month and just saw this thread...I'm bored so why not write out something about myself that nobody will read? ;)

I've played the piano for I think 7 years now, with the first 4 or 5 being the typical child's play stuff and not being serious etc. etc. etc. My background is in classical though...I've played stuff like Rach's Prelude in C#m (my favorite amongst my repetoire), Chopin's Rev. Etude, a couple of his waltzes, a few Bach peices, working on Beethoven's "Pathetique" right now. So on and so forth.

Despite that background I'm hardly a classical guy though...I don't have it in me to be a concert pianist...at least as my primary performance idiom. Actually I am more of a jazz guy (or I try to be ;)).

Also dabble in prog rock and all that good stuff. My favorite music is fusion jazz though. Like some of Scofield's electronic stuff (Uberjam, Up All Night, A Go Go), Allan Holdsworth, Herbie Hancock. All that good stuff.

I guess you could also say that I am a "professional" player because of paying church gigs. But I will refrain from referring to myself as such until I get a quality jazz gig (with good pay) someday (I hope ;))

Current synth gear:

-Roland JX-8P

-Roland JV-1010

-Roland Juno-106 (for sale)

-Casio WK-3500

Other gear I have owned:

-Roland JD-800

-Alesis QS6

-Korg Trinity

• Members

Im a newb too!!.Anyway,I may be out of my league here, but Im a 53 year old piano player with a Casio digital at home which I love (time out for laughter from you pros) My gigging days ended years and tears ago with my Vox Contintal and Farfisa Combo Compact!! Im content to just sit and play oldies and some blues at home for my own head. I would like to know how I can add some pizzaz to my playing,like these 1 man band gigs you see everywhere. I purchased a drum machine,but it really doesnt do what I want. Are these purchased backing tracks,like cheesy karaoke or are they produced through MIDI and software? If you have patience with a lot less than a tech head Id appreciate some help

• Members

Hello :)

I'm usually over in the backstage and guitar jam forums, but am starting to develop a worrying (for my bank balance) taste for vintage keyboards. :o At the moment I only have a Moog Prodigy which I'm having a lot of fun with, but now have my eye on a Vox Continental, which I shall post about in just a minute.

Personal info: I am female, was born in the 70's, originally from northeast Pennsylvania, but transplanted to London, England, where I've been for about 10 years now. I live with my lovely boyfriend and cat, and play guitar in a very silly all-girl band in my all-too-rare spare time.

:wave:

• Members

OK, why not?:)

I'm 50, and have been playing for 40 years or so. My first instrument was drums. I took up guitar in the mid '80s, and I've been working with synths since the mid '70s.

Some of you may know me as one of the Native Instruments forum moderators, or you may know me from places like KVR or the Yahoo Absynth group. I spend way too much time on forums, and hardly ever get any music done:confused:

I haven't been in a gigging band in over 10 years; my non-music job and other responsibilities take up most of my time. Hopefully that will change soon. I've spent most of my life here in the Twin Cities, and don't see that changing in the near future.

ew

• Members

I just turned 42 this summer. Originally from northern NJ, 15 minutes outside of NYC, now live outside Philadelphia working in pharmaceutical industry. Was either going to be a musician or a scientist, but chose scientist because I liked it and would make enough money to buy synths. Played old Kimball home organ and piano, until brother brought home an ELP album. Spent rest of my life on a quest to own a Hammond organ and synthesizers. Bought the sheet music to Tarkus and that was it. First owned Crumar T2 organ, and a Moog Rogue, then graduated to Korg BX-3 and Leslie 147 with Korg Mono/Poly and Polysix, then moved onto a big rack (MKS-70, TX-802, D-50, Korg P3 piano module, Akai S950) with a Yamaha KX-88, and a Mac SE running Digital Peformer (vers. 1.0), and then I finally got my Hammond when I was 35!!!! Synths have come and gone since then, but my Hammond has been with me ever since (see current gear below).

Play jazz, prog, blues, some techno and industrial stuff for friends films when I have time.

• Members

It's 5:33 a.m. I'm a vampire composer, who unfortunately hasn't been playing keyboards for hundreds of years.

I started in 2000 -- after having the family piano and a consumer Yamaha synth from the 80s. I had written/directed a feature film called WHEREINTHEHELLISNORTHTONAWANDA? and that's when I found out even though I had tons of great original electronic/pop music from a very talented local composer, I still had to gaps to fill in, as my feature-length movie turned out to be wall-to-wall music. Well, it was a musical action-comedy about the end of the world set in Buffalo, NY.

That's where I'm from, and my film premiered about a month after 9/11, appropos of nothing, that's when I decided to not make another film (imediately) and instead concentrate on music.

Film is so collaborative. To shoot a great scene, you need weeks, maybe months of preparation, with maybe a 100 people involved -- or not -- and so many egos it makes being in a band seem like eating an Oreo.

Or there's this. Composing. In my studio. Giving myself tinnitus. I just recorded a track called "Can you hear the ringing?" Gotta love skip-back sampling. Eveything I do now is chunks of 40 seconds or less. Not really, but you get the point (maybe).

So in 2000, I bought a 76-key PSR something at GC, which despite the fact that I never want to see that keyboard again -- why oh why are consumer keyboards so HIDEOUS?!*!? It was actually pretty good, and helped establish an appreciation for Yamaha that will someday be repeated, no doubt. I would have chosen the Motif if the interface wasn't so one step above punch cards.

So I got a Fantom X7. Love it! Obviously see beyond it now that I'm actually becoming a synth collector. Devil! An Alesis Micron, new laptop (PC: Reason, Storm, Cubase, and a Novation X-Station. There's a woods in my backyard that just begs for some insect music to be made there. (Antmusic returns. I always find it odd to listen to Adam Ant and the lack of synth before 1984 is stunning, but also endearing, I guess.)

I've been posting here at Harmony Central alot more since I quit at AutoWeek's Combustion Chamber which changed it's format and just found the endless discussions of Civics vs. A3s or ricers bashing domestic lovers who're creaming for the Camaro to come back tomorrow.

I'd much rather interact with people salivating over the next addition to their rig or why the Motif or Nord this or Kurz that is the one to have. It's actually fun to a point ...

I guess I'd just rather talk about sounds and how to make them and the great machines that do it. I also like discussing the psychology of music, too.

Personally, although my music is a sort of Amerilectrikraut, I try to inject it with some humanity, whatever soul Ive been accussed of not having. Ooh! That's personal. A story from my movie-making days.

Anyway, softsynths are on the horizon to take advantage of the X-Station's front panel and the synth simultaneously.

When I start performing live again, it's going to be .... hmmm ...

I actually want to start an electronic-focused band. Locally would be preferrable, but in its absense, a virtual venture would be welcome, too. But solo's been working fine for the past four years or so of recording.

Even though I find the whole notion of interacting with people over the internet creepy, here we are with common interests, looking for ... well for me, I need to take breaks during music making ... and from writing, which if you can believe after reading this drivel, I actually get paid to write news stories and take photographs. I'm also a personal trainer. And I still crew on films from time to time.

But other than that, music is my beyotch, and I'm hers. :thu:

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hi, another newbie here! My name's Geoff, nickname Geoffo (the aussies like to end names in O for some reason!) Im 38 yrs old, married with 2 young boys. Recently moved to Sunny Queensland, Australia from very cold Wellington in New Zealand.

I don't know much about American Football so I don't support a team, however I am a keen Rugby Union fan, and the last captain of the New Zealand All Blacks used to live just down the road from me! Now that I am living in Queensland I am making an effort to try and understand Aussie Rules, a game that is only played in Australia (to any great degree). The aussies just love it!

I started learning piano when I was 4 and when I was about 8 my teacher made me stop telling me that I would never be any good at it. I started again with another teacher about a month later. I remember her well, she used to hit my knuckles with a plastic ruler! when I was about 12/13 my mom decided that I needed to learn how to play in church and so I went to another teacher to learn how to play the church stuff. I started playing piano for church from 13 and did so for the next 20 or so years. at age 23 I moved to Sydney to do my music studies at what is now known as Hillsong School. I got to train under some of the finest gospel musicians around. After that I moved back to new Zealand and back into the local church scene. At the same time trying to rebel from the system and get into Pub Bands. didn't really work for me, so I set myself up playing piano/organ for wedding ceremonies. Used to play up to 3 ceremonies each weekend, and was lucky enough to travel all over New Zealand doing this.

Formed a small covers band about 8 years ago as well. Then got rid of that and joined up with anothe band that was really struggling and got them going. Managed to have then gigging twice every weekend. Up until this time they were gigging about once per month. August last year my family and I moved to Queensland where i caught up wioth an old mate of mine and we have put together a fully sequenced 3 piece. We play all over the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and Gold Coast of Australia. No I don't do the church gigs any more. Sunday is a day to sleep off all the lates nights with gigging.

Life is good, especially in sunny Queensland!

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

Where to start. ....

LMAO - the result of some finance dood who been powdering his nose too much?

No I didnt read all that bollox - have to wonder if anyone actually did tho - lol

• 3 months later...
  • Members

*Bump* to a thread that should be stickied, IMO. :) I'm a longtime member of KSS, but I'll post an introduction for the heck of it.

My name is Chris Martin, I'm 16 years old, and I'm very well known here at KSS (just do a search on "p120dUdE", and you'll find out why). ;) I'm a classically trained pianist, and I've been playing for about 5 years. While it's purely a hobby, I do enjoy gigging every now and then. My favorite styles of music are classic rock, classical, jazz, and blues. One thing you should know about me is that I HATE rap with a passion. :thu: If I was forced to either watch 5 hours of "Arthur" or listen to rap, I would immediately run to the TV playing "Arthur".

I also have a passion for web development (which I've been involved in for at least 7 years). I'm currently studying to become a professional web developer, and I'm always on the web, whether I'm improving my website or creating a new style for vBulletin.

Chris

• Members

Okay Chris, me too.

I'm a 51-year-old bum. Married stay-at-home dad with children 5 and 7.

Took piano lessons from 6 to about 17 and achieved my conservatory grade 8 after which my teacher (poor soul) decided that I should expand my repertory and get off the examination treadmill.

I took up guitar at 17, much to the distress of everyone but me and carried on with that for a long time. Did the bar circuit as singer/guitar for a while in my twenties and thirties while I was working as a counsellor and gadabout at kids camps during the summer. If you google "Douglas Gifford" and "Canoe" you'll find out more.

Studied music at university off and on and have a Masters degree in Ethnomusicology and half a Ph.D. in whatever that I dropped out of because of the arrival of children and waning interest.

Moved to Gananoque from Toronto about five years ago because we wanted to live in a small pretty town where we could afford to buy a home--a move we've never regretted. When we finally bought a house, I managed to scrape up a piano for $400 and have been re-learning that for the past three years or so. I design databases and web sites for spare change (my wife is the primary wage-earner) and am slowly getting involved in the local music scene. I'm also fairly active in local do-gooding and belong to the Rotary club.

I'm a Virgo and my favourite colour is blue.

• Members

I wouldn't lament your church gig's pay scale. The reward for this comes after this life.

I'm Henway, 44, married, two daughters, two grandsons. I've been playing since the early seventies. I bought my first synth, a moog satellite in 1977, a rhodes 73 and white faced Odyssey in '78 and untold scores of gear ever since....

My day job is manager of instrumentation technology for local government

I've wasted a lot of time playing covers in clubs. Mainly lots of prog rock .

I've played Piano, Organ, and keyboards at church for the last 6 years. Choir cantatas, special services, praiseband etc...

I just recently quit my cover band because it was stifling my creativity.

I haven't written or recorded anything worthwhile in ten years...

I have all of my gear at the ready just in case my writers block disappears....

I still enjoy playing, and laying down tracks on friends demos.

Enough about me...:bor:

It's a pleasure meeting most of you....

Especially you dafduc....

Welcome aboard....:thu:

• Members

Like your new avitar, Henway!:thu:

I'm Dejavoodoo, 46, married, 3 kids (2 sons & a daughter), wife who puts up with my GAS. I teach English at a local high school, and I'm the music director for our church. Like Henway, I recently quit my cover band because the guitarist was a jerk.

I'm working on my first CD of new age/ambient jazz. In addition, I'm also working on "The Way of the Cross", or the Stations of the Cross set to music.

Also working with a wonderful singer on dinner music/wedding gigs - more upscale folks (and pay), less "FREE BIRD!"

I've really enjoyed meeting all of the interesting folks on here. It's been a good experience, in that I realize I'm not the only gear-obsessed nerd in the cosmos. I've learned I can count on you guys for straight-up answers, and that I can count on Diametro for an excellent photo collection.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived