Anyone up for a BT jam?

mosiddiqi

• Members
Hah - snap again! I have that one in my sights, in fact I was thinking "If I can't do the Texas Flood one, 'cause it's too fast in places, maybe I can fill with that rhythmy thing he does, like he does, and perform it anyhow".
:)

I even started exploring this with iefranged in his "lessons" thread, he started with some suggestions about what that thing is.

But ... Yeah right ... as if. It's just as hard to make that rhythm thing sound good as it is to do the fast solo, so I've gone back to learning the solo, painstaking slow progress as it is
(and thanks to benzem for his lesson on this, it's gold).

GaJ

Wow thanks!

:cool:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mo: Whoah! Great touch. Love the sweeps. I am a fan.

Jeremy: Killer takes! I may have liked the 2nd one better, but wow great solos!

Catscurl: That was tasty. Great slide work!

AND thanks so much for the kind words Mo and Jeremy!

Awesome thread. Glad to be in the company of such players! Humbled. But inspired!

Now to listen to the rest:)

-skratch

• Members

Trickyboy: Woohoo! Sweet shredding man:cool:

Dudeman: I really liked the mood you set from the start. Caught my ear right away!

GaJ: I liked the 1st half:) Haven't been thru the thread to see if you posted the whole enchilada yet.

:thu:

• Members

Just did it in about the last 1/2 hour from first listen to completion. It is 33 guitar tracks though. Really only improvised the last 20 seconds. Just hit chord tones with harmonies for the first 2/3rd's. (G13, G9, Dmin9) a couple with bottleneck.

• Members

Just did it in about the last 1/2 hour from first listen to completion. It is 33 guitar tracks though. Really only improvised the last 20 seconds. Just hit chord tones with harmonies for the first 2/3rd's. (G13, G9, Dmin9) a couple with bottleneck.

Crap!!! After 30 years of playing I'm going to have to finally break down and goof with a slide. However you did it, I really liked it!

• Members

So because it's Friday night and I don't have a gig, I was bored and decided to go back through and listen to all the takes basically straight through. Damn Mo, you really set the bar high with that original take, and it's really how many good and different takes there have been over the same backing track.

GaJ, I missed your take the first time and wanted to comment on it (I think I missed it because you posted it as an attachment vs. as a link).

I really liked the melodic ideas that you incorporated into your solo. Lots of interesting stuff. My main criticism, more so than a pitchy bend here and there is that it really sounds like you over think this stuff. You probably know more theory than I do, which is a good thing. My problem is that it sounds really apparent that your hands are better than you think, but your brain keeps getting in the way. It's like golf. You learn all that technique on the practice range, but once you get to the course, just grip it and rip it. Especially on a track like this that has minimal changes, forget all this mixolydian crap. Grab the G min Pent scale and let her rip. Just go. You can always go back and refine it later, but I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the results if you just went for it.

• Members

Thanks TrickyBoy, this really rings true.

I'm sure my head is in the way at the moment, I experience it trying to record and performing as well. Getting past it though... it's a challenge!

I'll certainly do some more letting it rip, with the mic on, just to see if I can get more relaxed about it...

GaJ

• Members
My wife had a little surgery this morning, but she's down for the count now (gotta love oxycontin). Anyways, I took a whack at GaJ's play slow challenge. It's alright - couple of missed notes and repetitive lines, but here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/8bx8729iy9

Great take - starting at the 33rd fret wasn't what I was expecting at all ;)

Nice one :thu:

• Members

I've been reading these but haven't yet taken the time to really listen yet. I'm going to do that right now. Meanwhile, I did a take of my own. It was one take. Sometimes, it's good to try to "really get it on the first try". It's something I aspire to. Sometimes I get close, but never perfect.

Hope you enjoy!

Mo's cool jam track with Jon's senseless meanderings over it

Archived