Anyone up for a BT jam?

mosiddiqi

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Is anyone interested in doing a take where there's a "no shred" rule?

I'd love to hear what people come up with when it's all about a few notes and how they fit together and fit in...

I was trying this (because I can't shred, lol
:)
). Sort of "what might Gilmour do?".

GaJ

Here you go Jade, mellow, melodic - for me anyway!
(couldnt resist doubling a part with a harmony cause it was just drippin!)

http://www.box.net/shared/rc8u0bk9pq

• Members
That's sweet Jon!..I like the double stop licks and the first single note line you do..which I think is D,E,F,E,D,C,D..or something captures the "mixo" flavour really well against a G chord..
:thu:

Thanks Mo - that's what I was after (that and the temptation to throw too many notes in ;)).

• Members
This should qualify for the "no shred" rule. I just got a one take done quickly and it does have problems..but as I'm among friends, I don't mind sharing my mistakes
;)
...it's certainly
not
"what might Gilmour do?" though..it's more "what would Mo do when he's told to play less notes?..and he thinks "
less
notes?? WTF??!!"
:o

http://www.box.net/shared/k87q53ipc8

Forgot to comment on this take Mo - sublime playing and great tone too. I much prefer these slower takes over this backing track, BTW :thu:

• Members
Thanks Jeremy, that's really good advice and much appreciated. I'll work on it

As an exercise try doing a take with ONLY chord tones. Hit EVERY chord change. Its tricky - do it all over the neck. Map out a G chord every where, do the same for the other changes and look for the closest steps between the changes. This is where the cool motion stuff lives.

Once you are confidently doing that then start adding back in your "licks"

Try it if you get time

then repost! :thu:

• Members
As an exercise try doing a take with ONLY chord tones. Hit EVERY chord change. Its tricky - do it all over the neck. Map out a G chord every where, do the same for the other changes and look for the closest steps between the changes. This is where the cool motion stuff lives.

Once you are confidently doing that then start adding back in your "licks"

Try it if you get time

then repost!

I'll certainly give this a go - hitting chord tones more regularly is definitely something I need to improve on. I feel slightly embarrassed to say that when I recorded my take, I actually didn't bother to work out the underlying chords :eek:, I just played over the backing and posted what was only my third attempt. Maybe I need to get the progression sorted out first eh?

Many thanks for the advice though, that's what I love about this forum, everyone really tries to help each other out :love::thu:

• Members
I'll certainly give this a go - hitting chord tones more regularly is definitely something I need to improve on. I feel slightly embarrassed to say that when I recorded my take, I actually didn't bother to work out the underlying chords
:eek:
, I just played over the backing and posted what was only my third attempt. Maybe I need to get the progression sorted out first eh?

Many thanks for the advice though, that's what I love about this forum, everyone really tries to help each other out
:love::thu:

Not honestly surprised Jon, many (i'd say most) players do it that way. You CAN do that ... but it has a certain sound. Chord tone soloing is another sound - one we should all have some command over.

You commented on liking some of my note choices - this is where they come from. The track is going essentially between G, Dmin, C, F. Even if you just resolve onto the root notes as the chord changes it is going to result in some "new" sounding ideas.

When you know where they are you can then choose to address them or play over them. Way more freedom.

Yes I love this forum too. For the same reason. It's a nice place to put up a take and not worry about it. Nothing improves you more that constructive criticisms. Glad you took my comments that way. Some people get pissed!

• Members

I'd love to hear what people come up with when it's all about a few notes and how they fit together and fit in...

GaJ

I'm at work, but I'll try to knock one out tonight for you.

• Members

GaJ

When I get time to do mine, it will definitely not be shred. I'm too lazy to play too many notes, but I'll try may hardest to hit some chord tones.

• Members
Struggled a bit to find something that fits. Not sure I did.

I realized, as someone said, that I am a slow starter. So envision the shred that was to come! Awesome!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9703661

Thanks for the jam Mo!

Very cool! Nice take skratch. Some really different looks in there... neat way to express that. Very original. :thu:

• Members

Struggled a bit to find something that fits. Not sure I did.

I realized, as someone said, that I am a slow starter. So envision the shred that was to come! Awesome!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9703661

Thanks for the jam Mo!

Skratch..man..I REALLY enjoyed that. You've got a pretty distinctive touch for sure....I loved all the long notes you milked..really cool...gave it a nice plaintive feel...excellent. :thu:

• Members

Now I know where to come for backing track lead playing feedback. These threads tend to drop like rocks in other forums without much constructive input. It seems as though you guys are constructive without being mean about it. That's hard to find on the internet.

I'm new here so I'll start off by saying that though I've played guitar off and on for years I don't play guitar more than a couple hours a week on average since I've had children. I need to spend more time here in the LL and learn some theory so I can play with more confidence. My leads tend to get too "wordy" due to my lack of confidence. I feel if I hit a bad note I can move on quickly and call the bad note a transition note. :lol:

I ran through it twice as I couldn't seem to find a groove before it was over. Sorry it's so long and repetitive.

I'm outclassed here but here it is warts and all. Thanks for listening.

http://www.box.net/shared/e42cp7qzjq

• Members
Now I know where to come for backing track lead playing feedback. These threads tend to drop like rocks in other forums without much constructive input. It seems as though you guys are constructive without being mean about it. That's hard to find on the internet.

I'm new here so I'll start off by saying that though I've played guitar off and on for years I don't play guitar more than a couple hours a week on average since I've had children. I need to spend more time here in the LL and learn some theory so I can play with more confidence. My leads tend to get too "wordy" due to my lack of confidence. I feel if I hit a bad note I can move on quickly and call the bad note a transition note.
:lol:

I ran through it twice as I couldn't seem to find a groove before it was over. Sorry it's so long and repetitive.

First off, definitely hang for a while. There's some real monster players here and the cool thing is that they're all looking to help others get better. I've learned a boatload in the year I've been here and vastly improved as a player because of it.

As for my take on your solo. To me it kind of felt like you listened to the other people's takes, got intimidated and then played it really safe. There were a couple of times where I really liked the lines you had going on and they sounded like they wanted to "go somewhere" but then you just fell back into the same pattern again.

My advice would be, don't worry about the other players here. Do a take and go for it. If you miss a note or two, so be it. Lord know I miss my fair share, and I have no illusions that I'm anywhere near one of the better players on this forum.

But it was a good first effort. :thu: Stick around, it's a great place to share ideas and learn

• Members

I'm new here so I'll start off by saying that though I've played guitar off and on for years I don't play guitar more than a couple hours a week on average since I've had children. I need to spend more time here in the LL and learn some theory so I can play with more confidence. My leads tend to get too "wordy" due to my lack of confidence. I feel if I hit a bad note I can move on quickly and call the bad note a transition note.
:lol:

First off dudeman, welcome! It's great to have new minds and experiences here. Make a habit of it.

Your track,
in the interests of helping you let me point out the good and bad side of your take. Lets start with the bad (its always nice to leave the good stuff to the end!). Your playing seemed somewhat tentative and lacked any real momentum. It just kind of stayed in this sort of "down" kind of tone. There really was no drama to it. I suspect you have a touch of "red light syndrome" (fear of recording) I suspect when you ply this when you are not recording you are far more adventurous. Get LOUD then quiet, play high then low, play a phrase, repeat it (call and answer) get creative with it.

Now the good stuff - I really liked the way you set up a motif and seemed to work off of it. Your take had a theme and although it didnt move you should be happy that you made something pretty cohesive. Secondly, I really liked the little overdubbed bits. Very cool.

Overall more good than bad. Was enjoyable to listen to.

• Members

My wife had a little surgery this morning, but she's down for the count now (gotta love oxycontin). Anyways, I took a whack at GaJ's play slow challenge. It's alright - couple of missed notes and repetitive lines, but here it is:

Still pretty speedy for a "slow take" there Yngwie : )

Overall nice stuff Jay.

Some very cool bits, although I will echo my earlier refrain about your vibrato. In the first half I found it too fast and it took me out of the mellow place I was sinking into as a listener. It's frantic.... NOW during the second half I loved it! Your notes said "intensity" and the vibrato added to that and made a convincing statement.

Were I you i would spend some time working on different speeds of vibrato. Think about the tempo of the song and try to sync the shake to match a subdivision of time (try it on 8ths, triplet feel, 16ths) you already got 32nds mastered! This is a tough thing to change and we all have default settings but awareness of it is the first part. I went years without ever really thinking about the PACE of the vibrato... I just thought it was ... vibrato. Never occurred to me that it maybe should move with the song. It's another trick for the bag. One the big boys have.

Cheers!

Archived