Anyone up for a BT jam?

mosiddiqi

• Members

Now I know where to come for backing track lead playing feedback. These threads tend to drop like rocks in other forums without much constructive input. It seems as though you guys are constructive without being mean about it. That's hard to find on the internet.

I'm new here so I'll start off by saying that though I've played guitar off and on for years I don't play guitar more than a couple hours a week on average since I've had children. I need to spend more time here in the LL and learn some theory so I can play with more confidence. My leads tend to get too "wordy" due to my lack of confidence. I feel if I hit a bad note I can move on quickly and call the bad note a transition note.
:lol:

I ran through it twice as I couldn't seem to find a groove before it was over. Sorry it's so long and repetitive.

I'm outclassed here but here it is warts and all. Thanks for listening.

http://www.box.net/shared/e42cp7qzjq

Dudeman!..good to see you here! :)...as I said at Marks..I think you lack a little confidence in parts of that but I did like the trippy feel and the main theme :thu:..hope to see you here a lot more, the LL has been a HUGE help to me.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My wife had a little surgery this morning, but she's down for the count now (gotta love oxycontin). Anyways, I took a whack at GaJ's play slow challenge. It's alright - couple of missed notes and repetitive lines, but here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/8bx8729iy9

That was cool Jason!..I kind of feel the same as Jeremy on this regarding the vibrato on the first half..though I actually wish I could get my vibrato as fast as yours!...the second half rocked. :thu:

I'm really glad this thread has had so many views (for the LL) and I know a lot of you guys are pretty busy and it's hard finding time to participate..but I learn so much from these...the different approaches, phrasing, licks etc..all in the same context....tons of things to think about that I wouldn't really get anywhere else.

• Members
Still pretty speedy for a "slow take" there Yngwie : )

I tried... and failed :facepalm:

Some very cool bits, although I will echo my earlier refrain about your vibrato. In the first half I found it too fast and it took me out of the mellow place I was sinking into as a listener. It's frantic.... NOW during the second half I loved it! Your notes said "intensity" and the vibrato added to that and made a convincing statement.

Were I you i would spend some time working on different speeds of vibrato. Think about the tempo of the song and try to sync the shake to match a subdivision of time (try it on 8ths, triplet feel, 16ths) you already got 32nds mastered! This is a tough thing to change and we all have default settings but awareness of it is the first part. I went years without ever really thinking about the PACE of the vibrato... I just thought it was ... vibrato. Never occurred to me that it maybe should move with the song. It's another trick for the bag. One the big boys have.

Cheers!

I see what you're saying about the vibrato. It's definitely something I need to focus on. Thanks.

• Members
That was cool Jason!..I kind of feel the same as Jeremy on this regarding the vibrato on the first half..though I actually wish I could get my vibrato as fast as yours!...the second half rocked.
:thu:

I'm really glad this thread has had so many views (for the LL) and I know a lot of you guys are pretty busy and it's hard finding time to participate..but I learn so much from these...the different approaches, phrasing, licks etc..
all
in the same context
....tons of things to think about that I wouldn't really get anywhere else.

Thanks Mo. And I definitely agree with your second paragraph. The fact that so many good players take the time to do this is definitely a huge learning opportunity for me.

• Members
Now I know where to come for backing track lead playing feedback. These threads tend to drop like rocks in other forums without much constructive input. It seems as though you guys are constructive without being mean about it. That's hard to find on the internet.

I'm new here so I'll start off by saying that though I've played guitar off and on for years I don't play guitar more than a couple hours a week on average since I've had children. I need to spend more time here in the LL and learn some theory so I can play with more confidence. My leads tend to get too "wordy" due to my lack of confidence. I feel if I hit a bad note I can move on quickly and call the bad note a transition note.
:lol:

I ran through it twice as I couldn't seem to find a groove before it was over. Sorry it's so long and repetitive.

I'm outclassed here but here it is warts and all. Thanks for listening.

http://www.box.net/shared/e42cp7qzjq

I thought it was a good one.

You came up with a melodic phrase that fitted the music and that you can deliver confidently, and then added interesting "supplements" ... altogether making a recording that is good to listen to, without clangers.

That's got to be good eh?

The sense in which it's tentative (at least for me) was that you didn't explore further melodically ... you stayed with the one choice of notes ... and notably also with the same _kind_ of "use" of them.

But hey, often we're advised to see how much we can do with just a small set of notes, right? ;)

You supplemented them with added tracks, to keep it interesting and "take it somewhere" (somewhere spacey :) ).

From a "we're here to learn improvisation" perspective I think the feedback is "great .. the next step is to do something really _different_ with those same 5 notes, or develop by laying them down for a while (as you did) then add some more...

Or cheat like I did and just record the few notes I could come up with and cut it off after that :lol:

Cheers,

GaJ

• Members
My wife had a little surgery this morning, but she's down for the count now (gotta love oxycontin). Anyways, I took a whack at GaJ's play slow challenge. It's alright - couple of missed notes and repetitive lines, but here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/8bx8729iy9

Dang, you guys can do slow as well as fast. Is there anything you can't do!?

The first half of this take had that great "singing" feel that can come out when the notes are slow. Another Hendrixy double stop thing too ... that's cool, I need to find out how to do that :)

One thing I would observe is that slow runs of triplets are a less satisfying substitute for fast runs than ... say ... space, or single notes.

Would I be right in thinking that 0:40 was a time when you were "oh crap, I'm not allowed to go fast, but I'm really hearing a fast run here"? ;)

I'm really glad this thread has had so many views (for the LL) and I know a lot of you guys are pretty busy and it's hard finding time to participate..but I learn so much from these...the different approaches, phrasing, licks etc..all in the same context....tons of things to think about that I wouldn't really get anywhere else.

I love these too. Although I don't yet have the skills to really _do_ this stuff yet, I get great inspiration from hearing all your takes, and thinking about what makes them work, hoping that one day this will all feed my own playing (thanks for putting up with all my opinions :) )

GaJ

• Members

Hey thanks a lot GaJ, and yes there was one point in there where my brain was saying "follow the rules" while my hands www saying "it's go time". I think it comes from the fact that I really don't get to improv a ton, so when I do get the chance, I really just want to go for it.

As for the double stop stuff, Stevie ray Vaughn dis a ton of it. Check out his solo on Lenny. I know there's live versions on YouTube that are good examples

• Members

Hah - snap again! I have that one in my sights, in fact I was thinking "If I can't do the Texas Flood one, 'cause it's too fast in places, maybe I can fill with that rhythmy thing he does, like he does, and perform it anyhow". :)

I even started exploring this with iefranged in his "lessons" thread, he started with some suggestions about what that thing is.

But ... Yeah right ... as if. It's just as hard to make that rhythm thing sound good as it is to do the fast solo, so I've gone back to learning the solo, painstaking slow progress as it is (and thanks to benzem for his lesson on this, it's gold).

GaJ

• Members
http://www.soundclick.com/catscurl here`s my second go ,i`ve put a bottleneck on for this go , curb any ideas of shred. yes, hi there dudeman ,i like how you`ve extended the track and like mo says it sounds trippy what you`ve done,it reminds me of one of the jams i used go to in my home town, we used to drag some tunes out for half an hour or more ,great fun.i know this backing track is a bit small, it does needs repeating about 8 times or so , it is a great backing track i would like to hear the rest of the tune if there ever was one. :thu:

• Members

I went away and took on board Jeremy's excellent advice regarding incorporating more chord tones into what I'm playing. I've tried to keep the bits I liked best about my original take, but also hit more strong chord tones as Jezza suggested. Now I know it's hardly going to set the world alight, but I feel it's an improvement over my earlier version so take a listen and let me know what you think:

http://www.box.net/shared/9ii4j4ud7v

• Members
I went away and took on board Jeremy's excellent advice regarding incorporating more chord tones into what I'm playing. I've tried to keep the bits I liked best about my original take, but also hit more strong chord tones as Jezza suggested. Now I know it's hardly going to set the world alight, but I feel it's an improvement over my earlier version so take a listen and let me know what you think:

I really enjoyed that Jon. I definitely felt that following the chord tones gave it a much more cohesive sound vs. the first take. I thought the first one got "noodly" where as this one stayed more on point. And I still love that opening passage. :thu:

• Members
http://www.soundclick.com/catscurl
here`s my second go ,i`ve put a bottleneck on for this go , curb any ideas of shred. yes, hi there dudeman ,i like how you`ve extended the track and like mo says it sounds trippy what you`ve done,it reminds me of one of the jams i used go to in my home town, we used to drag some tunes out for half an hour or more ,great fun.i know this backing track is a bit small, it does needs repeating about 8 times or so , it is a great backing track i would like to hear the rest of the tune if there ever was one.

That was a great melodic solo, with the slide being an added bonus. I thought it was really well thought out and had a "theme", something that I never felt like I was able to achieve. Great job :thu:

• Members

That opening phrase is really nice Jon!..and yep, the focus on chord tones has made this one sound more together. Good stuff! :thu:

• Members

here`s my second go ,i`ve put a bottleneck on for this go , curb any ideas of shred. yes, hi there dudeman ,i like how you`ve extended the track and like mo says it sounds trippy what you`ve done,it reminds me of one of the jams i used go to in my home town, we used to drag some tunes out for half an hour or more ,great fun.i know this backing track is a bit small, it does needs repeating about 8 times or so , it is a great backing track i would like to hear the rest of the tune if there ever was one.

Very nice!..I love slide..I really need to spend more time playing with one. That was very tasty. :)

• Members

Love this take! The slide really works with that feel. Great call.

• Members

There ya go Jon! Beautiful. Much nicer.
Your lines seemed to have a direction and more of a purpose. Keep along that road and before long it will just become they way you hear it. Then you will relax into it and look out!

• Members

Dang sometimes it's lonely out here ... I liked jP's first take better!

I thought the first one had inventiveness and fresh interest, it sounded like he was singing. The second one was more deliberate and thoughtful, and did things that sounded premeditated more than fresh.

As one example, at around 0:37, the second one drops down to a lower note in a way that sounded more like "let's go to a chord tone down here" than "where the song was going", compared to the other that had a spritzy slightly unexpected bent note that really sang.

To my ears. Dang, I have weird ears?

GaJ

Archived