Anyone up for a BT jam?

mosiddiqi

• Members
I've been reading these but haven't yet taken the time to really listen yet. I'm going to do that right now. Meanwhile, I did a take of my own. It was one take. Sometimes, it's good to try to "really get it on the first try". It's something I aspire to. Sometimes I get close, but never perfect.

Hope you enjoy!

Mo's cool jam track with Jon's senseless meanderings over it

Enjoyed!..very tasty. :thu:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
This time, I shed all inhibitions. Things like taste, timing, thematic development, feel were all taken off the table and replaced with "play as many notes as you can cram in to this take"

After all, less isn't really more. MORE is more. right?????

No-one plays like this because no-one thinks it's a good idea

Enjoy.

:lol::rawk:...that's why we play. Well, some of us. :o..I love it...the opening phrase sounds like you're about to blow up!..and the sweeps after that are just :rawk::thu:

• Members

I've been reading these but haven't yet taken the time to really listen yet. I'm going to do that right now. Meanwhile, I did a take of my own. It was one take. Sometimes, it's good to try to "really get it on the first try". It's something I aspire to. Sometimes I get close, but never perfect.

Hope you enjoy!

Jon, really nice take with lots of great musicality. Your playing just has such a sure-footedness about it, beautiful stuff!

Your "more" take - Thanks! You made my morning, had a couple almost coffee squirting out my nose moments!

• Members
I was going for something totally different from my 1st try. Strat, cleanish tone etc. But ended up maybe not so different and def. not clean.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9717282

Comments welcome!

:wave:

Nice Take benzem enjoyed it. I quite liked the intense bending at around 30 seconds. The first part was cool too where your phrases kind of floated over the time a bit.

To be picky - Your attempts at playing fast were a bit messy though. I would rather hear a player you within your range and instead use phrasing to make that part really work. There are other ways to generate intensity using the tools you already possess IMO.

Overall, I would give you the same advice i would give many - focus on hitting some chord tones as they pass. Learn to play IN the changes then when you play OVER them it sounds more intentional.

I really like your playing style. Please don't let my critique blur that point.

• Members
One interesting thing to note: one of the posters played "within his range" and he was encouraged to extend
;)

GaJ

True - you can stay too close to home sometimes which can sound tentative.

There is a difference between playing all in - and trying to do stuff you aren't quite technically there with yet. To say "go for it" doesn't mean (to me at least) play fast or try to do things outside of your speed range - it means let go and try to find phrases and musical statements without pre-judging them.

The issue we ALL struggle with to different levels is one of over-thinking. Ones ego is intensely disruptive to making music. It is very difficult during recording to not let a less than optimum phrase derail you momentarily.

It is a lifelong quest of mine to be able to just play and let it come out as it is - without prejudice. I think if you can get to this place then you can make any notes work. Some players can play any note and any time and somehow it just works. They aren't thinking - just listening.

Sounds cheesy but - You use your head to learn then you use your heart to play.

• Members

Made even more difficult playing for a group of intense listening critical musicians.

I used to think that too. Every time I play a gig in front of a crowd of musicians, I'm always faced with the "folded arms" contingent right in the front row. Their body language often says "OK, show me what you've got."

What I've discovered is this: Someone who's that critical of you is going to be critical no matter what you do. They'll tear you apart as a way of feeling superior. Generally, I ignore them. Or, I act "as if" they're my biggest fans (after all, they ARE listening really closely).

People who understand that musicians who take risks are to are to be celebrated are usually folks who love music. People who love music tend to make better musicians.

• Members

Great advice Jon!

Someone who's that critical of you is going to be critical no matter what you do. They'll tear you apart as a way of feeling superior.

Is should be written in stone it is so factual. Fortunately these people typically make up a small percentage of the audience. I went through an "ignore them" phase.... these days I am a little more cocky as I try to play TO them as much as I can. I figure if I can get one of them to smile or show some appreciation then I am doing something right.

Ultimately though I don't really give a crap anymore about trying to impress. I'll leave that to the youngins. It can really derail you from what the focus should be. Play the song well, smile and have fun. Do this and they will have nothing to criticize really.

• Members

Dang, I'd love to be at the stage of skill where I could play TO those guys :) :)

Haven't quite got that arrow in my quiver yet :lol:, so I just have to stick with "ignore" :)

There is a difference between playing all in - and trying to do stuff you aren't quite technically there with yet. To say "go for it" doesn't mean (to me at least) play fast or try to do things outside of your speed range - it means let go and try to find phrases and musical statements without pre-judging them.

I see what you mean. Interesting...

GaJ

• Members
Dang, I'd love to be at the stage of skill where I could play TO those guys
:)
:) Haven't quite got that arrow in my quiver yet
:lol:
, so I just have to stick with "ignore"

Never sure that I got the chops to do it - just the attitude!

Guthrie Govan I aint ... but raw beginner neither. I am comfortable with where I am as a player - never satisfied, but comfortable and typically confidant. A-holes like that hate confidence , it freaks them out.

• Members

GaJ,

Just to expand on what I said, and please don't think I'm picking...

You and I learned to play from almost the exact opposite direction. Ideas like theory never even crept into the conversation for me until years after I started playing. When I first learned to solo, I was taught the standard Minor Pentatonic scale and the next week my instructor said "OK now solo" and he'd play a progression and I was supposed to just go for it. No real thought to what the chords were or landing on chord tones or any of that. Just play.

Often times, I'd land on bum notes and after I scrunched my nose, he'd say "aahh don't worry about it, it's close enough for Jazz".

The point was he was just encouraging me to play, to "go for it". I was lucky if I could play 8th notes at the time, so "go for it" had nothing to do with speed. It had to do with letting go of preconceived notions and just playing.

You have SO much more theoretical knowledge that I did the same stage of playing. In fact, you probably have more theory knowledge than I do now. :facepalm: But IMO, that theory is for the practice room. When you're playing out (or in this case recording a solo), just play. Don't think to yourself "Ok there's a chord change coming, I have to find a chord tone" and instead think "Man I feel some tension building and feel like I need to go higher". It's all read and react with improv. Listen to what you just did and feed off of it. That's what I mean by "Letting it rip"

I hope that helps.

• Members

Don't think to yourself "Ok there's a chord change coming, I have to find a chord tone"

Jay just to expand on what you said there needs to be a distinction made. There are 2 types of playing

1 Practicing

2 Performing (which includes recording)

The above thought "... find the next chord tone" has a VERY valid place in practice but NO place in performance. Some people NEVER practice landing on chord tones... so it always remains a mind twister. The point is you need to spend a lot of time practicing nailing chord changes in order to just start to feel them. Practice the awareness of them so that eventually you will just start doing it without thinking.

Over-thinking in performance is a killer

Under-thinking in practice is a killer

No matter what "Live" - don't think - just play.

• Members

That's what I meant when I said IMO theory is for the practice room. But I totally agree. Practice chord tones (as an example) until they become second nature. My point is that if they're not second nature, they are currently not "in your bag of tricks" and when you're playing live, you can only play what's in your bag.

• Members

Hope you enjoy!

That's a really fantastic take. The melody is really nice and the precision of the bends is so spot on. Sound like a total pro. Oh wait.... Forget it. Anyway, I found that extremely impressive.

• Members

This time, I shed all inhibitions. Things like taste, timing, thematic development, feel were all taken off the table and replaced with "play as many notes as you can cram in to this take"

After all, less isn't really more. MORE is more. right?????

Enjoy.

I know this was done in jest, but in reality, there's something in the back of all of our heads that wishes we could do this. And, I bet if you performed both takes live on consecutive nights, this one would get you laid more often. And isn't that why we all picked up the guitar in the first place??? :poke::poke:

• Members

I know this was done in jest, but in reality, there's something in the back of all of our heads that wishes we could do this. And, I bet if you performed both takes live on consecutive nights, this one would get you laid more often. And isn't that why we all picked up the guitar in the first place??? :poke::poke:

Thanks!! really nice of you to say that. It's true I was just screwing around, but at the same time, it's fun to do these. My challenge to myself is to get it done quickly and feeling ok about the result. Very much a "focus and concentration" exercise.

I did both takes in less than an hour each ("tasty" 20 minutes-ish, "shred" 45 minutes-ish). Both in the same evening.

Thanks for letting me participate. We're all witnessing (and encouraging) each other to improve.

• Members

Thanks for letting me participate. We're all witnessing (and encouraging) each other to improve.

This place has been awesome for exactly this. Its great to have a room full of cool, talented and supportive players to bounce stuff at.

Jon your participation in stuff like this is truly appreciated. Shows that even a player of your skill level never stops working to improve. Really demonstrates the amount of work a player needs to put in to get to the higher levels.

Thanks!

P.S. Love the new album! Your playing is outstanding on it. Frankenstein is killin!

Archived