Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by zinzin

i have only one question: how real is the vox ac30? does it come 95% close to the original amp? have you got any clips? thanks.

OK, I layed down some quick basic AC30 sounds. Mind you, I have never played through a real AC30, so I have no real frame of reference. The first clip is a weak attempt at me playing something in the vein of Everlong, but I in no way tried to match the tone Grohl uses, I just thought the tone was fitting for that riff/dropped D tuning. This first one is the AC30TB and the second clip is the standard AC30 model.
Here it is:

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000149358_000021351.mp3

and this next clip is a bit longer at almost 2 1/2 minutes. I wanted to show a small demonstration of how the channels can work together and how the unit can clean up with the use of the guitar's volume knob. Sorry the clip is all over the place, but I had an hour to do all of this, so I noodled it out and posted. :) This is the Tonelab modelling a AC30. The EQ is set in the most neutral/flat settings possible (all on 5 to include the "Top Cut" just to show the most basic AC30 tone. A quick breakdown of this clip is basically:
At the start the Tonelab is on Channel 2 (dirty) of the AC30 with a good amount of grit applied. The guitar's volume is at 3/4.
At about 23 seconds I turn the guitar's volume knob to full.
At about 35 seconds I switched to Channel 1 (clean) with the guitar volume at full and hack away for a while.
At about 1:58 I switch back to dirty with guitar volume on full.
Here is the second clip:

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000149358_000021350.mp3

Again, I apologize for the sloppy playing. Do you have a specific band or tune in mind that I can try to get close to for the AC30 tone? Beatles type stuff or more modern? Let me know if there is a specific tone you are looking for. BTW, these clips werte all done with an '84 Made in the USA Standard Strat direct to the Tonelab SE which went direct to my crappy Soundblaster Live! soundcard so sorry for any degraded sound. The second clip is set with no effects or nick nacks other than the AC30 amp model set to flat, the matching AC30 speaker sim and some room reverb. Enjoy.

• Members

thanx a lot Porkchop Xpress - great soundclips and reply! i just listened to the clips on me crappy office speakerboxes. it sound good to me but i will relisten to it at home through some decent speakers. i can defenitely hear your USA Standard Strat though :D
i am not looking for a particular song by a particular band. i really just want to know from some expierenced players, which played through a real vox ac and through the tonelab, if in their opinion the simulation of the ac30 is ace or rather bad ...
thanks again, nice service!

• Members
Originally posted by zinzin

thanx a lot Porkchop Xpress - great soundclips and reply! i just listened to the clips on me crappy office speakerboxes. it sound good to me but i will relisten to it at home through some decent speakers. i can defenitely hear your USA Standard Strat though
:D
i am not looking for a particular song by a particular band. i really just want to know from some expierenced players, which played through a real vox ac and through the tonelab, if in their opinion the simulation of the ac30 is ace or rather bad ...

thanks again, nice service!

I hope it helped a little. Too bad I haven't had a chance to play a real AC30 yet. The sims on the Tonelab are very nice though. They sound much better live.

• Members

I've read through all these posts and have found the information quite useful. One question I have: can I add a pedal or two in front of the Tonelab (not the SE) without compromising the sound? Specifically, I like to keep a small bit of compression on most of the time. Since I can't have both compresion efects and, say OD at the same time with the TL, would keeping one or two pedals be okay? Anyone else have experience with this? Which pedals do you use?

I suppose a flip of this question is how does the TL compression effect compare with say the Carl Martin or the Keeley? If it's close I could use the TL compressor and add something like a Tube Screamer up front...

• Members
Originally posted by FreeMan

I've read through all these posts and have found the information quite useful. One question I have: can I add a pedal or two in front of the Tonelab (not the SE) without compromising the sound? Specifically, I like to keep a small bit of compression on most of the time. Since I can't have both compresion efects and, say OD at the same time with the TL, would keeping one or two pedals be okay? Anyone else have experience with this? Which pedals do you use?

I suppose a flip of this question is how does the TL compression effect compare with say the Carl Martin or the Keeley? If it's close I could use the TL compressor and add something like a Tube Screamer up front...

Yeah...I use two pedals in front of my Tonelab....an Ernie Ball volume pedal(love the feel....nothing else comes close for me)...and a Carl Martin compressor. I am very much into setting up what I call amp templates...which is the most truthful reproduction of the clean and dirty repsponse of each amp in conjunction with the best overdrive model up front. I have hade nice results putting the Tube OD in front of the old Fender amps for example. The treble booster seems to work well with the Vox amps....and some of the other "hairier" pedals work very nicely with the Marshalls, Mesas and Soldanos etc.

I find that putting the compressor in front allows me to present a nicer, fuller more even signal to the amp models....a "one setting fits all" scenario. From there, I can switch my amp/cab/dirt pedal setups easily that way...I am STILL loving this thing....it sounds bloody amazing!:D:cool:

To answer one of your questions....the Tonelab SE compression is just fine....but personally....I would rather free up that section for "dirt" pedal selection, and leave the overall compression to a sweet unit like the Carl Martin or the Keeley et al.;)

• Members

Originally posted by nocaster

This may have been addressed in an earlier response, but what amp are you playing the se through live?

Thanks

I'm using a Carvin AG100D, which is a full range amp. It sounds good direct to PA also.

• Members

Now I'm pissed. I just got done recording the first half of Hell's Bells and the damn file didn't save. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if getting the timing on those bells in the beginning wasn't such a pain in the ass. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe.

So, does anyone else have any requests for certain tones?

• Members

Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

Now I'm pissed. I just got done recording the first half of Hell's Bells and the damn file didn't save. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if getting the timing on those bells in the beginning wasn't such a pain in the ass. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe.

So, does anyone else have any requests for certain tones?

How did you get the bell sound? One of the presets in the TLSE library I uploaded could probably serve this purpose.

• Members

Keeley compressor!

I have been liking the SE but not loving it, but the Keeley comp in the effects insert has pushed me into infatuation. My main clean for gigging is the AC30 with gain around 2.5, and main lead and dirt sound is Plexi with Super OD in front.

I now keep the Keeley set with Sustain at 9:00 and Level at noon for all the patches, and it just sweetens everything up! I actually don't use the chorus very much on the clean sound now, 'cause the Keeley does the job. [Weird, I know, but it just adds some overtones to the sound that I like better than the chorus on clean]. The comp also boosts and tightens the dirt sound a bit.

We do a couple of tunes where I need that poppin' country sound, so I just crank the Sustain to noon or 1:00 and back the Level down to 9 or 10:00, and it is perfect on my clean AC30 patch.

So far, I'm loving it, and the Keeley isn't really any extra luggage at all.

• Members
Originally posted by Frank Prince

Keeley compressor!

I have been liking the SE but not loving it, but the Keeley comp in the effects insert has pushed me into infatuation. My main clean for gigging is the AC30 with gain around 2.5, and main lead and dirt sound is Plexi with Super OD in front.

I now keep the Keeley set with Sustain at 9:00 and Level at noon for all the patches, and it just sweetens everything up! I actually don't use the chorus very much on the clean sound now, 'cause the Keeley does the job. [Weird, I know, but it just adds some overtones to the sound that I like better than the chorus on clean]. The comp also boosts and tightens the dirt sound a bit.

We do a couple of tunes where I need that poppin' country sound, so I just crank the Sustain to noon or 1:00 and back the Level down to 9 or 10:00, and it is perfect on my clean AC30 patch.

Thanks FP. Great input! I have been thinking about getting a Keeley Comp for as long as I can remember, so I'm sure this is one more good reason for me to take the plunge. :D

• Members
Originally posted by Frank Prince

Keeley compressor!

I have found that the Guyatone ST-2 is also a decent compressor to place in front of either Tonelab. I've been runing one into my desktop and SE for about a week now. The ST-2 has allowed me to achieve much more pleasing compression results than I could with the onboard Tonelab compressor models. :cool:

The only problem with the ST-2 is that the circuit board seems a little flimsy. One I tried to audition locally before buying had probbaly been mangled by the goofus who had inserted the battery, so I had to tinker with a Maxon CP-01(?) instead. :(

I must say now that, for the price, the sound can't be beat ... the ST-2 seems to be about as transparent and smooth as the $140 Maxon unit I tried with its "direct" switch in the "on" position and the knobs set "cross-eyed".

I'm sure it still can't compare to a $200+ Keeley in terms of durability and "sweetness", but the ST-2 is probably my most favorite compressor that I could afford.:)

• Members

I have always wanted a Keeley, but I must point out to anyone who is curious, that the Tonelab has a great compressor built into it. Again, it may cause certain limiting factors with other effects within the Tonelab, but it is a nice comp. I will try to get some clips with the internal comp on and off to show it's potential.

• Members

Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter in the insert loop ( or straight in...) is my choice at the moment. I definitely recommend taking care of compression by using an outboard unit with the Tonelab SE....thereby freeing up the pedal section for "dirt box" selection.....can be very useful in getting all those great modern high-gain sounds that the Tonelab SE isn't that good at.....apparently:rolleyes: ....:cool::D

• Members
Originally posted by The Dog Boy

Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter in the insert loop ( or straight in...) is my choice at the moment. I definitely recommend taking care of compression by using an outboard unit with the Tonelab SE....thereby freeing up the pedal section for "dirt box" selection.....

Yeah, this is a great idea. Right now I am without an outboard comp so I have been using external dirtboxes with great results.

Originally posted by The Dog Boy

can be very useful in getting all those great modern high-gain sounds that the Tonelab SE isn't that good at.....apparently:rolleyes: ....
:cool::D

I just don't see where people are having trouble with the high gain settings. I think this unit is very well rounded.

Archived