Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've asked this a few places.. it must be a homer question---but (;

I finally decided to play with my se while connected to the pc. In the past I've set levels and tones(2 channel rig-still struggled to get a good balance unless i used a stomp box) while connected to my live rig.. gets to be a bit of a workout adjusting the patches.

is there a rough standard to setting levels (volume boost- ignoring treble/mid/bass settings) between the clean/distorted/lead output levels? can it be measured in dB or is it something that is (spinal tap) set to taste?

I've seen the higher gain compressed (i,e,. giga studio, protools methods) during a recording and tend to (prefer) avoid the top off if i can...

thanks.. for all your help...

Kevin

• Members

Originally posted by Nineteen5

I've asked this a few places.. it must be a homer question---but (;

I finally decided to play with my se while connected to the pc. In the past I've set levels and tones(2 channel rig-still struggled to get a good balance unless i used a stomp box) while connected to my live rig.. gets to be a bit of a workout adjusting the patches.

is there a rough standard to setting levels (volume boost- ignoring treble/mid/bass settings) between the clean/distorted/lead output levels? can it be measured in dB or is it something that is (spinal tap) set to taste?

I've seen the higher gain compressed (i,e,. giga studio, protools methods) during a recording and tend to (prefer) avoid the top off if i can...

thanks.. for all your help...

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I just match it by ear/set to taste. I like the level to boost a little when the drive is kicked on. Honestly, one of the ways that I have been setting my levels is by watching the soundwave size in my recording program and keeping an eye on the level bar to avoid unwanted clipping. Between different amp models, the first gain, virtual (master) gain, an output level within the matrix, and a unit output level on the back of the system as well as any levels that you are dealing with when it comes to outboard units or recording levels, it is just too much for me to think about when I can do it by ear and get the results I want.

• Members

Originally posted by zinzin

is the vox valvetronix amp and the tonelab made of the same software thingy?

What do you mean by software thingy? They are based around the same concept but have definate differences. The Tonelab and Tonelab SE are both in the Valvetronix line. Is that what you aare asking?

• Members

I had about a half hour tonight to screw around with the compressor in the Tonelab. Here is an example of how it can sound with very quick editing, terrible playing and a {censored}ty soundcard. Sorry about the sound quality and sloppiness again, I was just messing with the Tonelab and figured I'd hit record while I was doing it.

Here is the Strat: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000149358_000021514.mp3

Here is the Guild Bluesbird:
http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000149358_000021515.mp3

These are the same patch so you can hear the difference in single coils and humbuckers. More clips (and hopefully better) to come.

• Members
Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

Hey Kevin,

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I just match it by ear/set to taste. I like the level to boost a little when the drive is kicked on. Honestly, one of the ways that I have been setting my levels is by watching the soundwave size in my recording program and keeping an eye on the level bar to avoid unwanted clipping. Between different amp models, the first gain, virtual (master) gain, an output level within the matrix, and a unit output level on the back of the system as well as any levels that you are dealing with when it comes to outboard units or recording levels, it is just too much for me to think about when I can do it by ear and get the results I want.

Thanks Porkchop..

I read a post on the fender forum where someone thought a 3db boost from clean to distorted volume works well. Then talked to a studio friend who recommended 2db-5db for lead boost range.. with the caveat that you may be hard pressed to hear any volume difference 2dB or less..

BTW--
What brand/model are the headphones in your pics? Thinkin of getting a pair of grado sr325's but will most likely get a lower $$ pair.. Maybe sr125's or a comparable pair in the Sony or Sennheiser lines..

Tried the Sony mdr-600 and dj700's - too much bass in the dj700's and the v600 was a bit too bright.. for my taste.. althought I do like the 20 - 500 Hz range in my guitar rig..

Do you have a headphone recommendation?

Mucho Gracias..

Kevin

SETEC ASTRONOMIE
:eek:

• Members

Thanks Porkchop..

I read a post on the fender forum where someone thought a 3db boost from clean to distorted volume works well. Then talked to a studio friend who recommended 2db-5db for lead boost range.. with the caveat that you may be hard pressed to hear any volume difference 2dB or less..

BTW--

What brand/model are the headphones in your pics? Thinkin of getting a pair of grado sr325's but will most likely get a lower $$ pair.. Maybe sr125's or a comparable pair in the Sony or Sennheiser lines..

Tried the Sony mdr-600 and dj700's - too much bass in the dj700's and the v600 was a bit too bright.. for my taste.. althought I do like the 20 - 500 Hz range in my guitar rig..

Do you have a headphone recommendation?

Mucho Gracias..

Kevin

SETEC ASTRONOMIE

:eek:

Thanks for the info. The headphones in the pic are just some cheapies I picked up a while ago. I am actually pretty fond of the AKG 240 series. Very flat and true. I am probably going to buy them again next month. The recordings I put on here are very unbalanced and I did them through my Boston Acoustics computer monitors because I was in a rush. Hopefully I will get more time in the near future to make some better recording samples.

• Members

Thanks for the info. The headphones in the pic are just some cheapies I picked up a while ago. I am actually pretty fond of the AKG 240 series. Very flat and true. I am probably going to buy them again next month. The recordings I put on here are very unbalanced and I did them through my Boston Acoustics computer monitors because I was in a rush. Hopefully I will get more time in the near future to make some better recording samples.

Thanks to you, ck3, monkey and the rest who've been a great help valuable resource in the never ending (tonelab tone) story..

:cool:

Picked up a pair of Sony MDR-V900's on Ebay..

• Members

Thanks to you, ck3, monkey and the rest who've been a great help valuable resource in the never ending (tonelab tone) story..

I definately want to keep this thread going. I think anyone interested in a multi-effect/amp modeller should definately look into the Tonelab series. I hope those Sony headphones work out for you.

• Members

Glad to be of service ... :D ... your new cans will probably be much snazzier than my $20 MF clearance-priced AKGs. :cool:

• Members

I definately want to keep this thread going. I think anyone interested in a multi-effect/amp modeller should definately look into the Tonelab series. I hope those Sony headphones work out for you.

Could we get a "sticky"? :confused:

In spite of the obvious draw to these "lounge"-type threads, I often wonder why no one requests one.

• Members

Hey ck3, have you come up with any new patches lately?

Yes, indeed ... I even have a new TLSE patch that sounds like Kraftwerk's analog synth tone from the song "Robots" with my rig ... unfortunately, I am busy with a graduate school assignment at the moment.

If anyone is interested, I may be able to connect to my computer, fine tune my latest entries, and post them next weekend. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

Yes, indeed ... I even have a new TLSE patch that sounds like Kraftwerk's analog synth tone from the song "Robots" with my rig ... unfortunately, I am busy with a graduate school assignment at the moment.

If anyone is interested, I may be able to connect to my computer, fine tune my latest entries, and post them next weekend.

That would be great. I am always interested in other peoples patches.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

If anyone is interested, I may be able to connect to my computer, fine tune my latest entries, and post them next weekend.

sounds very cool.. haven't listen to kw for a long time.. a friend has autobahn on vinyl... i'll have to rev up in time to check out ck3's patch(es) :)

• Members

Originally posted by brikus

Is it possible to hook up the SE directly to the speakers of a tube combo ? I have a Carvin Bel Air whose speakers can be unplugged from the amp section...so do you guys think it is possible to plug them directly in the SE output ?

The Tonelab can be used as a preamp, but if you wanted to go through your amp's speaker you would need a power amp/go through the power section (effects return) of your amp to amplify the signal.

• Members

The Tonelab can be used as a preamp, but if you wanted to go through your amp's speaker you would need a power amp/go through the power section (effects return) of your amp to amplify the signal.

so I should do like this ?

guitar -> tonelab SE -> FX loop return of the amp

One thing bothers me : this will make me turn the amp on without having anything plugged in the input. Is it a problem for a tube amp ?

• Members

Originally posted by brikus

so I should do like this ?

guitar -> tonelab SE -> FX loop return of the amp

One thing bothers me : this will make me turn the amp on without having anything plugged in the input. Is it a problem for a tube amp ?

It will be safe to do it this way. Basically all you are doing is bypassing the preamp section of your amp (i.e. your pre-gain stage/preamp tubes, EQ section, any built in effect besides, perhaps, reverb if that is after the power amp section) and going direct into your power section so all you are using from your amp is the power tubes, anything after that in the chain like reverb, and your speaker. What type of amp do you have? I have done this with my Mesa Boogie Mark IV (with a Master Volume)and Mesa Boobie Blue Angel (non-master) and it worked well with both. One thing to keep in mind is that you may want to turn the speaker emulation off since you are playing through a real speaker configuration, have the Tonelab global output set to "amp" and keep an ear out for power tube saturation that may color the tone if you are playing at higher levels. Your tubes will change certain timbres of the Tonelab so you will have to adjust accordingly. It will be OK to have nothing in the amp's input, but never warm your tubes or power up your tube amp without a proper load (ohms) to the output speakers. Doing that would most likely permanently damage your transformer and other components even if it is for a short amout of time. Hope that helps.

• Members

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by zinzin

is the vox valvetronix amp and the tonelab made of the same software thingy?

What do you mean by software thingy? They are based around the same concept but have definate differences. The Tonelab and Tonelab SE are both in the Valvetronix line. Is that what you aare asking?

sorry, my question was not precise. i'd like to know if the valvetronix amp and the tonelab sound both exactly the same when played through a PA? because if they sound the same, that would meand they have the same software in it, right?

because i am seriously thinking in getting a valvetronix AD120 for playing live and for recording.

• Members

Wow... i'm glad i found this. All these inputs were very useful. I do not own one of these (yet). But I was at Guitar Center the other day and tried out both the Tonelab and the Tonelab SE. Is it just me or does the table-top version of Tonelab give a better distortion sound? Even the employee there said some people have noticed this too. I just find it strange since the SE model is supposed to be an upgrade. Has anyone else noticed this? I play more on the heavier side... like Dream Theater stuff.

Thanks,
Dave

Archived