Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Members

Can anyone post a clip of the Tonelab SE doing a simple metal crunch (i.e. without ear candy FX)? I've heard some great hi-gain lead sounds, but how about the rhythm?

Also, does anyone have any clean clips with just a little ambience?

Finally, as a tube-amp tone lover, would I be disappointed in the Tonelab if I bought one?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by ck3

Just a reminder: I posted my old Tonelab SE and desktop patch libraries back on page 10 of this thread. Feel free to download them and comment.
:D

I downloaded them the first day you posted, but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to program them yet. Loooooong workdays. I'll let you know what I think next week. Thanks again for posting them.

• Members
Originally posted by theManfromAlabam

I need a small practice amp to run the SE through (For bedroom levels) I was thinking of a Roland Micro Cube or Cube 30 however they already have effects built in...Can anyone recommend another SS with an 8" speaker without effects that would work well with the SE?

How about a Tech 21 trademark 10?.....I use my SE through two Power Engine 60's......and they don't colour the sound of the SE at all....very flat response....so the Trademark 10 might work perfectly for you, even though it is designed to be a stand-alone amp.

Good luck and happy hunting!:D:cool:

• Members

A question to all Tonelab and Tonelab SE users.

I have gathered that this unit sounds best when run through a full range amplifier. When playing with a band this would be the PA. But when playing at home I use a Electar Tube 30 amplifier. It doesn't have an effects loop so placing the Tonelab infront of the amp is the only option.
I suspect that this might not sound good.

The only other option I have at home is to run the Tonelab through my normal HIFI system. I have a good amplifier (Marantz) with a "source direct" mode that bypasses all EQ stages and very good speakers (Canton Ergo). Has anybody tried this? Can a Hifi system be considered as full range amplification or am I way off here?!

• Members

Originally posted by RobTheBob

A question to all Tonelab and Tonelab SE users.

I have gathered that this unit sounds best when run through a full range amplifier. When playing with a band this would be the PA. But when playing at home I use a Electar Tube 30 amplifier. It doesn't have an effects loop so placing the Tonelab infront of the amp is the only option.

I suspect that this might not sound good.

The only other option I have at home is to run the Tonelab through my normal HIFI system. I have a good amplifier (Marantz) with a "source direct" mode that bypasses all EQ stages and very good speakers (Canton Ergo). Has anybody tried this? Can a Hifi system be considered as full range amplification or am I way off here?!

I thought that the Tonelab SE sounded good through the amp, but does not portray the true possibilities of what the unit can do (mind you, I only played it through tube amps). Through a HIFI system, you may hear an improved sound quality over the amp, but I think that the flatter the amplification system is, the better results will be. That is probably why people who run the Tonelab into Trademark amps rave about the results just as people who are running direct into the board/PA.

• Members

Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

I thought that the Tonelab SE sounded good through the amp, but does not portray the true possibilities of what the unit can do (mind you, I only played it through tube amps). Through a HIFI system, you may hear an improved sound quality over the amp, but I think that the flatter the amplification system is, the better results will be. That is probably why people who run the Tonelab into Trademark amps rave about the results just as people who are running direct into the board/PA.

It should sound good through your existing amp if you turn off the speaker emulation.

I'd be very careful plugging into a home stereo. Recordings are highly compressed and there's a maximum output voltage from your home stereo sources such as CD players. The Tonelab, or any guitar signal isn't limited in the same way and you could easily send too strong a signal and blow your speakers. If you do it, keep the volume really low.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

It should sound good through your existing amp if you turn off the speaker emulation.

I'd be very careful plugging into a home stereo. Recordings are highly compressed and there's a maximum output voltage from your home stereo sources such as CD players. The Tonelab, or any guitar signal isn't limited in the same way and you could easily send too strong a signal and blow your speakers. If you do it, keep the volume really low.

For those of us with not so great hi-fi systems (or hi-fi knowledge) how can one run a SE through a home stereo?

My brother gave me an old Kenwood High speed integrated "whatever the hell that means" KA-801 Dual powered amp, and an old kenwood receiver...could I hook me SE up to these? I never use them but I know they work.

• Members

For those of us with not so great hi-fi systems (or hi-fi knowledge) how can one run a SE through a home stereo?

My brother gave me an old Kenwood High speed integrated "whatever the hell that means" KA-801 Dual powered amp, and an old kenwood receiver...could I hook me SE up to these? I never use them but I know they work.

If it has auxillary ins, you could use a standard Hosa 1/4" TRS to RCA converter cable to connect the 1/4" stereo outputs of the TLSE to the stereo aux ins of the receiver.

I also hung out with a guitarist once that was using a stereo as amplification for a practice session without his drummer ... he had some sort of box with four knobs on it ... I do not recall the make/brand, but I am pretty sure it was mono ... so it may not be the best option.

• Members

well maybe you could go straight to a HIFI if you put some MAJOR compression on the signal. Still not a great idea though.

How many effects can be run on the SE, and can you stack effects? Flange on top of chorus, two different overdrives at once, etc...
That was one of the things I loved most about the Digitech 2101 I had. You could literally make any combination you wanted to, in any order your brain could come up with. It was a tone suck though, no matter what I plugged into the thing, it all sounded the same. Can you hear the difference between a few different guitars on a tonelab?

• Members

Originally posted by nasum

How many effects can be run on the SE, and can you stack effects? Flange on top of chorus, two different overdrives at once, etc...

That was one of the things I loved most about the Digitech 2101 I had. You could literally make any combination you wanted to, in any order your brain could come up with. It was a tone suck though, no matter what I plugged into the thing, it all sounded the same. Can you hear the difference between a few different guitars on a tonelab?

The effects chain on the Tonelab SE incorporates a fixed number of Overdrives, Mods, etc. and is divided into five discrete sections (including the amp and cab models).

As many have noted, the Wahs are in the same division of the chain as the Overdrives, Distortions, Octave Divider, Ring Mod, Fuzz, etc., so there is some limitation in this regard.

In contrast, the Mod/Delay/Reverb end of the chain can be sequenced any way you wish and the Phaser and Wah pedal emulations can be either pre or post amp model ... plus there is a Mutron model in the modulation section to potentially compensate for the lack of a Wah or Auto Wah if you choose to use a non-Wah pedal effect ... and because the Mod delay is also in the modulation section, it is possible to run it in unison with any of the other delays for some pretty trippy ambience.

I own two Schecter guitars (C-1 and S-1 Elite) with markedly unique timbres ... both sound quite different to my ears through the Tonelab SE ... and it responds to each one differently when I tap the humbuckers.

• Members

I am thinking of selling off my collection of effect pedals. I haven't used them since I got my SE.

I could buy a digital recorder;)

Purely out of curiosity ... what pedals did it replace?

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Purely out of curiosity ... what pedals did it replace?

Sorry I guess I should have mentioned them.

DD-6

CH-1

TU-2

VOX 847

Wah Rocker 2

CS-3

DOD 575 (Flanger)

DOD FX20 III

SD-1

Zoom 5000

Deja Vibe

DOD FX-40B

"Nothing really spectacular" And I should have mentioned all my pedals "excluding my LovePedals".

• Members

Originally posted by Hibiscus Ro

How do you get a good clean sound with a LP. I have had problems with clipping on the Twin setting with my LP. I have the gain low and the VTgain hi. I don't find the pups too hot. Any thoughts?

I don't have a Les Paul, but my guitars are similar in construction to yours. I would recommend progressively lowering the treble, presence, mids, and/or VR gain ... an excess of any of the three can produce clipping with certain amp/cab combinations, especially when recording ... as with many other modelers, tweaking will probably prove to be a balancing act, where it will be necessary to cut/boost various frequencies to overcome the (now) minor limitations of working with a virtual amplification system.

• Members

Sorry I guess I should have mentioned them.

DD-6

CH-1

TU-2

VOX 847

Wah Rocker 2

CS-3

DOD 575 (Flanger)

DOD FX20 III

SD-1

Zoom 5000

Deja Vibe

DOD FX-40B

"Nothing really spectacular" And I should have mentioned all my pedals "excluding my LovePedals".

Rats ... I was hoping that the SE had certain effects comparable to at least some of the current/vintage Boutique units out there.

• Members

Originally posted by UconnJack

Sorry if this has already been asked. Can/ the ToneLab SE be used as a preamp going directly into a poweramp? I'm thinking like a Peavey 50/50? Just curious.

Thanx,

UJ

Yes. It simulates power amp distortion, so you'd want to keep it clean for the most part. As it has no amp of its own, it requires some kind of power amp.

• Members

OK, I have been working crazy 16 hour days for the last couple of weeks, but fortunately I am now back to a regular schedule. I got a chance to plug into the Tonelab SE last night and was wondering if it would sound as good as I remembered it. Sometimes you just wonder if the honeymoon is over, you know what I mean? Well, to my delight, I am impressed every time I plug into this thing. I ran my Guild Bluesbird into it last night and holy Moses! It sounded superb. The thing just sings. It is by far the best unit I have ever encountered for people like me who have young kids and really only get a chance to play at the wee hours of the night. Even through headphones the thing sounded huge. Lush reverbs, volume controllable break-up, great effects (the delays are very, very nice), and a huge pallette of sounds to be had. I find that, unlike with other modellers, I jump from patch to patch more with the Tonelab. There are just so many great and different tones and it responds to pick attack unlike any modeller that I have ever played through. I will try to get some clips up soon, but I will have to find a free sharing site. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Members

I will try to get some clips up soon, but I will have to find a free sharing site. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You could always add your mp3 (or other chosen audio format) file to a zip folder and upload it directly to your next HC forum post ... though this process could take some time with a dail-up connection and will add an extra step in the process of previewing the clip(s).

Otherwise, I believe that acidplanet.com may be a popular place for posting original music ... or at least it was back when I had a GNX2 a few months ago.

• Members

OK, I have been working crazy 16 hour days for the last couple of weeks, but fortunately I am now back to a regular schedule. I got a chance to plug into the Tonelab SE last night and was wondering if it would sound as good as I remembered it. Sometimes you just wonder if the honeymoon is over, you know what I mean? Well, to my delight, I am impressed every time I plug into this thing. I ran my Guild Bluesbird into it last night and holy Moses! It sounded superb. The thing just sings. It is by far the best unit I have ever encountered for people like me who have young kids and really only get a chance to play at the wee hours of the night. Even through headphones the thing sounded huge. Lush reverbs, volume controllable break-up, great effects (the delays are very, very nice), and a huge pallette of sounds to be had. I find that, unlike with other modellers, I jump from patch to patch more with the Tonelab. There are just so many great and different tones and it responds to pick attack unlike any modeller that I have ever played through. I will try to get some clips up soon, but I will have to find a free sharing site. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I agree 100%

Nice post! I wish I had the ability to put words together as good as you do PorckChop.

Archived