Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just a reminder to the posts that spoke of overall tone response that the SE has a setting for LINE or AMP output which have VASTLY different sounds. by pressing the GLOBAL button, the first parameter you can control is the OUTPUT setting. (Ln or Ap) I suggest trying both in any situation (amp or direct) to see which provides the best overall sound.

B

• Members

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

okay, so now I realize there's an fx loop for the SE

the desktop version doesn't have that

I wonder how much I'm missing out, because I really like the size of the one I got

The FX loop is a great feature of the SE. It opens up a whole new world of tone and gives you the opportunity to "correct" what many feel are the units shortcommings on the effects side. The dual rocker pedals are just the cherry on top for me.

• Members
Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

The FX loop is a great feature of the SE. It opens up a whole new world of tone and gives you the opportunity to "correct" what many feel are the units shortcommings on the effects side. The dual rocker pedals are just the cherry on top for me.

ACtually I think they missed the boat completely with the FX loop.
The FX loop is situated BEFORE everything else in the chain!!
which means I cannot use my Deluxe Memory man without it distorting in the amp model-just like I plugged it into a real distorted amp. :mad:
The only thing the FX loop is good for IMO is allowing you to have a pedal included in a patch and not in another....
In the Valvetronix amps, the FX loop is later in the chain.
I was VERY disappointed in this. I still prefer my DMM to any of the delays, but only slightly. I've done head to heads and tweaked the crap out of the delays on the Tonelab- the thing that the DMM adds is that slight "honey glaze" that all ElectroHarmonix modulation effects add. It's very subtle and slight and the actual echoes sound so DAMN close in the Tonelab... I think the Tonelab does it better than the DD-20 IMO.

Oh well- that is one of my bitching points about the thing.

B

• Members
Originally posted by BryanMichael

ACtually I think they missed the boat completely with the FX loop.

The FX loop is situated BEFORE everything else in the chain!!

which means I cannot use my Deluxe Memory man without it distorting in the amp model-just like I plugged it into a real distorted amp.
:mad:
The only thing the FX loop is good for IMO is allowing you to have a pedal included in a patch and not in another....

In the Valvetronix amps, the FX loop is later in the chain.

I was VERY disappointed in this. I still prefer my DMM to any of the delays, but only slightly. I've done head to heads and tweaked the crap out of the delays on the Tonelab- the thing that the DMM adds is that slight "honey glaze" that all ElectroHarmonix modulation effects add. It's very subtle and slight and the actual echoes sound so DAMN close in the Tonelab... I think the Tonelab does it better than the DD-20 IMO.

Oh well- that is one of my bitching points about the thing.

B

I think the placement of the FX loop on the SE obviates it's use for the placement of additional "in-line" FX......such as compressors, distortion/boost pedals, wahs etc....not time based effects......it's not a "conventional" FX loop in that way....I guess they were hoping that you would find what you need for delays, modulations and reverbs within the unit itself......oh well...you can't have everything.:D:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by The Dog Boy

I think the placement of the FX loop on the SE obviates it's use for the placement of additional "in-line" FX......such as compressors, distortion/boost pedals, wahs etc....not time based effects......it's not a "conventional" FX loop in that way....I guess they were hoping that you would find what you need for delays, modulations and reverbs within the unit itself......oh well...you can't have everything.
:D:cool:

Yeah, this is the way I was thinking about it too, but it wouldn't hurt if the loop was assignable in the chain. I am very happy where it is. I think the delays sound great.

• Members

Yeah, this is the way I was thinking about it too, but it wouldn't hurt if the loop was assignable in the chain. I am very happy where it is. I think the delays sound great.

+1 (^bump^)

• Members

I agree that the internal delays and reverbs sound great- but I still have this thing for my DMM...

Also, with the effects loop being where it is-It's in front of everything- why not just plug into another pedal BEFORE the TOnelab? Same result except that the loop canbe programmed to be on/off.

Oh well-

B

• Members

I would be nice to be able to change the position of the loop. I do like the fact that it is a loop instead of having to plug the effects inline between the guitar and TL. That way, on the patches where I do not choose to insert the external effects there is no tone degredation between the guitar and TL since it is just a straight line. Not saying that there would be a guaranteed tone loss, but stranger things have happened. :D

• Members

I've used mine (SE) on 4 gigs since getting it about a month ago. I run it through a Rocktron velocity 120 and a 1x12 cab.

2 of those 4 gigs I have used it with my guitar going into Boss od-3 and guyatone compressor before the tonelab.

I have not spent a whole lot of time customizing my patches other then tweaking some of the fender models to suit my tastes.

So far I am happy. It sounds very good.

Others have said, and I agree, that the tonelab needs a programmable loop structure and better eq control.

However, for the money, I think it's very worthwhile.

• Members

I was thinking of getting one. How is the ac-30 sound in it? Can you get the edge's tone with the unit's delay? How does it compare to the valvetronix (the lower end one's)? Which pedals can it not replace? I know someone said it can't do wah and fuzz at the same time. I don't have either, I was gonna buy a regular big muff.

I'm basically looking for something that can do marshall/ac-30 real good and be an all in one effects unit. I have a trademark 10 and I don't like the lack of presets, you have to manually change everything, and the lack of effects and poor sound through headphones (somehow it sounds so much better through their speaker).
thanks in advance.

• Members

Originally posted by MrMunky

It's a Marshall 68 with its matching cab.

Good ol' Crest Audio fuzz face providing the fuzz tones.

the amp model alone is what provides the rhythm sound on FaceFuzz2.mp3

Munky, where can I get one of those fuzz face's? They don't make em anymore do they? Don't see any on ebay either.

• Members

No, Crest Audio ain't in the Fuzz biz anymore.

However, you are in luck, as the man who engineered and produced the Crest Audio fuzz face, Dave Fox, is still in the biz.

And in fact, he recently announced that he recently made a small batch of fuzz pedals with silicon transistors that is essentially the Crest Audio Fuzz Face with a few minor improvements.

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/stufforsale.html

he also makes the Captain Coconut 2, which includes a fantastic fuzz, an octave, and the very best univibe clone available all in one unit. I have one, and I've found it to be a great investment.

• Members

Originally posted by MrMunky

No, Crest Audio ain't in the Fuzz biz anymore.

However, you are in luck, as the man who engineered and produced the Crest Audio fuzz face, Dave Fox, is still in the biz.

And in fact, he recently announced that he recently made a small batch of fuzz pedals with silicon transistors that is essentially the Crest Audio Fuzz Face with a few minor improvements.

he also makes the Captain Coconut 2, which includes a fantastic fuzz, an octave, and the very best univibe clone available all in one unit. I have one, and I've found it to be a great investment.

thanks! Your clips sound VERY good. Yeah, I want a CC2 but I can't affford it right now. I think I'll save up for one instead of buying a fuzz now since the CC2 basically has the same fuzz in it.

• Members

It may have been said before, and if so I apologize, but this is my question.
I played a Valvetronix 120 watt 2x12 the other day. For the most part I liked the sounds that it put out. Would the Tonelab SE be pretty much that amp's brains that I could use with stuff that I already own? I'm tired of having so many amps, so getting something like the Tonelab SE would probably be pretty cool for me, but I can't try them out anywhere in town.

Is a Tonelab SE pretty much a Valvetronix amp without the amp parts?

Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by nasum

It may have been said before, and if so I apologize, but this is my question.

I played a Valvetronix 120 watt 2x12 the other day. For the most part I liked the sounds that it put out. Would the Tonelab SE be pretty much that amp's brains that I could use with stuff that I already own? I'm tired of having so many amps, so getting something like the Tonelab SE would probably be pretty cool for me, but I can't try them out anywhere in town.

Is a Tonelab SE pretty much a Valvetronix amp without the amp parts?

Thanks.

The Tonelab SE is very similar to the Valvetronix series amps with more features and more twealability in a stage friendly package.

Archived