Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Members

Hey Dog Boy!

Would it be possible for you to share your "amplifier template settings" such as the Plexi, Super Reverb, etc... that you started off with? I am very interested to hear your take on the basic amp sounds because there are a couple of amps that I have never personally used, so I have no frame of reference.

http://www.bangroom.de/tonelab/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

and

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ToneLab/

are the best places I have found for sharing the settings. I am also interested in anyone else's settings so feel free to share them. There are tons of great ideas already at these sites if you get into some of the people's midi files.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

Hey Dog Boy!

Would it be possible for you to share your "amplifier template settings" such as the Plexi, Super Reverb, etc... that you started off with? I am very interested to hear your take on the basic amp sounds because there are a couple of amps that I have never personally used, so I have no frame of reference.

http://www.bangroom.de/tonelab/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

and

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ToneLab/

are the best places I have found for sharing the settings. I am also interested in anyone else's settings so feel free to share them. There are tons of great ideas already at these sites if you get into some of the people's midi files.

To be perfectly honest Porkchop.....all I did was to go to the page in the manual that lists the basic amp/cab combos for the 16 amp models.....plus they listed about 5 others that feature hybrid ideas(i.e. Black 2x12" amp and 4x10" cabinet is a Super Reverb etc.)

I loaded those in....so I had about 20 setups to choose from.....then I started to go through the manuals description of each amp model...and set the controls exactly how they recommend to do it,(i.e. turn up the VR gain on ALL models that originally did NOT have a master volume etc......the specific models are listed in the manual too!). I have never owned most of the amps either so I was eager to follow their instructions....and it was worth it!!:cool::D

• Members
Originally posted by The Dog Boy

To be perfectly honest Porkchop.....all I did was to go to the page in the manual that lists the basic amp/cab combos for the 16 amp models.....plus they listed about 5 others that feature hybrid ideas(i.e. Black 2x12" amp and 4x10" cabinet is a Super Reverb etc.)

I loaded those in....so I had about 20 setups to choose from.....then I started to go through the manuals description of each amp model...and set the controls exactly how they recommend to do it,(i.e. turn up the VR gain on ALL models that originally did NOT have a master volume etc......the specific models are listed in the manual too!). I have never owned most of the amps either so I was eager to follow their instructions....and it was worth it!!
:cool::D

Oh, I see. Well that is a great idea anyways. I think I am going to do the same thing on the middle presets. Thanks for the reply. Later. Oh, BTW, the Plexi sounded incredible on the recorder last night.:D

• Members

I just got the SE 2 days ago. So far I've used it at home and at one practice with the band.

I'm impressed. At practice I played through a Rivera amp into the clean channel with all the tone controls flat. The only patch I used was a blackface model. Sounded fine for that.

At home I'm using it through a Rocktron velocity 120 into a cab that has a speaker taken from a line6 ax 212. Sounds fine in that rig also.

I have found that the SE sounds much better using the line settting versus the amp setting. Just seems clearer to me.

I'm looking forward to digging into this thing and will probably take it out on gigs since my reverend hellhound's reverb has crapped out.

I'm sure it will be fine for live giiging but it always takes a few months for the honeymoon period to be over.

I've tried almost all the modelers out there and this seems to be far and away the best.

• Members

Ok- So I'm exploring here; and I'm a modeling/processor/midi newbie...

If I get a Behringer ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496 - (or a recommendation?)---- will I be able to configure each patch to use a different eq setting using the midi connection?

Sounds like i can, but want to make sure b4 i buy one...
Thanks..

Kevin

• Members

Nineteen5,

Other people who have used the combination you are considering (amp modeler and DEQ with MIDI control) have complained about a lag in switching time with the Behringer EQ unit. If you can use the same EQ curve for most of your presets, this should not be too much of an issue. Otherwise, I do not know what route to recommend.

UconnJack,

I have succesfully used my Tonelab SE to control my Tonelab desktop model via MIDI ... but I am not certain about how the MIDI CC numbers will line up with those of competitors' products. For example, I once tried to utilize a Digitech GNX2 and a Boss ME-X to control Line 6 POD series processors and the CC numbers were exactly one off ... so, basically, the patches would not properly switch in unison.

• Members

I put the EH tube back in my Tonelab! I was getting incredible clean tones, but the dirty settings just weren't getting where I wanted them. I lost a little of the chime and mids that I had with the GT, but it was worth it to have better dirt tones. Who knows... maybe I'll try a Mesa tube sometime.:D

• Members

I also tried switching tubes in my Tonelab SE. After doing some research on various tonelab user groups, I opted for the GT Mullard reissue. While it sounded a smidge warmer/darker than the stock EH model, I found that it contributed more fizziness to the Marshall models.

Suffice to say, I eventually removed it and reverted back to the EH tube. While I was in the process of removing the GT Tube, it was inadvertantly destroyed. I was using the "rubber band trick" to stabilize the tube and lost my grip after it had cleared the socket. It ended up clipping the edge of the very narrow SE tube compartment and was immediately decapitated (or circumsized ... however you want to look at it). :(

Well ... at least I learned a few important things from this little $20 lesson: 1) Because the tube compartment on the Tonelab SE is so small, it is a good idea to have an additional tool to situate the tube properly., e.g., the spiral end of a metal swizzlestick. 2) The "rubber band trick" can be hazardous to tubes if you are a Tonelab SE user ... and as maladroit as me. ;)

I just got the desktop version recently, which seems to have a far more spacious tube compartment (yeah!). I, too, will probably be giving Mesa tubes a try next. A few people have raved about them on the Yahoo! Tonelab group.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

I also tried switching tubes in my Tonelab SE. After doing some research on various tonelab user groups, I opted for the GT Mullard reissue. While it sounded a smidge warmer/darker than the stock EH model, I found that it contributed more fizziness to the Marshall models.

Suffice to say, I eventually removed it and reverted back to the EH tube. While I was in the process of removing the GT Tube, it was inadvertantly destroyed. I was using the "rubber band trick" to stabilize the tube and lost my grip after it had cleared the socket. It ended up clipping the edge of the very narrow SE tube compartment and was immediately decapitated (or circumsized ... however you want to look at it).
:(

Well ... at least I learned a few important things from this little $20 lesson: 1) Because the tube compartment on the Tonelab SE is so small, it is a good idea to have an additional tool to situate the tube properly., e.g., the spiral end of a metal swizzlestick. 2) The "rubber band trick" can be hazardous to tubes if you are a Tonelab SE user ... and as maladroit as me.
;)

I just got the desktop version recently, which seems to have a far more spacious tube compartment (yeah!). I, too, will probably be giving Mesa tubes a try next. A few people have raved about them on the Yahoo! Tonelab group.

Oh yeah, I remember reading your post about this on one of the Tonelab boards. What TL forums do you go to? I had the same experience with the Marshall models and the Plexi is an AWESOME model. I do miss the chime and feel I was getting with the VOX, Fender and Clean Dumble models. Oh well. I am still digging the Tonelab very much. It is very picky about pick ups though.

• Members

Porkchop Xpress and anyone else who may be interested,

I typically visit the Yahoo! Tonelab group and occasionally wander over to "Patchtronix.com", the "Tonelab Temple", and German Tonelab group. Though the traffic on the later three is pretty lame, there is still some useful information in some of the threads. I have pretty much given up on the Voxtalks BBS, as it is mostly Beatles vs. something and amp and guitar questions nowadays.

I am at work right now, so I don't have access to the URLs of the sites I have mentioned. If anyone would like to have this information, let me know, and I can include it in my next post to this thread.

FYI: Patchtronix.com and the German Tonelab Group are supposed to have patches available to download.

• Members

How are you liking the Vox tonelab? Do you use it live? and with what gear (amplification)?

I'm asking as a small wattage tube amp snob.

I had tried the Line 6 POD (origional) and while I found that a fun headphone amp/toy. It left me cold both live and in the studio. I guess it just lacked dynamics that I require/expect...I faught with it too much.

FWIW...I never eval these things against the actual amps nor do I consider "factory-set" patches. I just try to get good tones and not worry about emulating.

For me, in my main band, I play alot of acoustic and electric guitar and want to reduce my rig (acoustic amp, electric amp, pedal board, etc....) on the 45 minute set gigs. I might want to try the Vox tonelab (for electric) through the acoustic amp (SWR Cal Blonde) and eliminate the electric guitar amp.

I'll search for some additional posts on the matter...but, if you feel like imparting some insight here...that would be great

Thanks,

Bb

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Porkchop Xpress and anyone else who may be interested,

I typically visit the Yahoo! Tonelab group and occasionally wander over to "Patchtronix.com", the "Tonelab Temple", and German Tonelab group. Though the traffic on the later three is pretty lame, there is still some useful information in some of the threads. I have pretty much given up on the Voxtalks BBS, as it is mostly Beatles vs. something and amp and guitar questions nowadays.

I am at work right now, so I don't have access to the URLs of the sites I have mentioned. If anyone would like to have this information, let me know, and I can include it in my next post to this thread.

FYI: Patchtronix.com and the German Tonelab Group are supposed to have patches available to download.

Is the German Tonelab Group in English? I'd like to have the URL regardless. Some of the patches I have downloaded are absolutely great.

• Members

Originally posted by Davidelmo

GCDEF, you need to register first. I did and downloaded thepatches.. there's some great ones there too.. it's well worth it!

I did. Even though I registered it keeps telling me invalid password. I never received any kind of confirmation email. Oh well.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

Someone already posted the first of these two, but here are some places to possibly find patches online:

1)German Tonelab Group (Mostly in English):

http://www.bangroom.de/tonelab/forum

1) Patchtronix.com (100% English):

http://www.patchtronix.com/

Happy hunting
:)

Oh, I didn't realize that was the German board you were talking about. That is probably my favorite one. The patchtronix one is OK for a starting point, but doesn't really translate too well for the Tonelab.

Archived