Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to link the TL to my computer so I can't use the software (how dumb is that!!).. here are the settings though; you will have to input them manually!

AMP:UK90's, T75 cab
Gain 10
VR gain 4.0
Treb 5.7
Mid 5.0
Bass 5.0

Pedal:Boutique
Drive 5.0
Level 10.0
Tone 1

I added stero delay and plate 1 reverb. Also I included flanging at the slowest speed which seems to help de-fizz and tighten up the bottom.

If you can improve on this patch, I would appreciate the feedback!

I also made a similar patch and in the mod section I used the pitchshifter as a whammy. Set pitch to 0, fine to 0, tracking about 75, effect 10 and set the normal guitar sound to 0. Then set the expression pedal to M/Pitch, max 12 and min 0. This will give you a whammy that will take you up one octave. Add some delay and you can play Touching Tongues quite convincingly!

Hope that helps.. let me know how you get on!!

EDIT:By the way I use an EMG-81 bridge pickup which is very bright and has lots of gain.. you might want to increase treble and/or gain for your pickup if it is lower output!

• Members

Originally posted by Davidelmo

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to link the TL to my computer so I can't use the software (how dumb is that!!).. here are the settings though; you will have to input them manually!

AMP:UK90's, T75 cab

Gain 10

VR gain 4.0

Treb 5.7

Mid 5.0

Bass 5.0

Pedal:Boutique

Drive 5.0

Level 10.0

Tone 1

I added stero delay and plate 1 reverb. Also I included flanging at the slowest speed which seems to help de-fizz and tighten up the bottom.

If you can improve on this patch, I would appreciate the feedback!

I also made a similar patch and in the mod section I used the pitchshifter as a whammy. Set pitch to 0, fine to 0, tracking about 75, effect 10 and set the normal guitar sound to 0. Then set the expression pedal to M/Pitch, max 12 and min 0. This will give you a whammy that will take you up one octave. Add some delay and you can play Touching Tongues quite convincingly!

Hope that helps.. let me know how you get on!!

EDIT:By the way I use an EMG-81 bridge pickup which is very bright and has lots of gain.. you might want to increase treble and/or gain for your pickup if it is lower output!

Clip sounded great.

• Members

Originally posted by kitfox-sg

Just a question... DOes the desktop version have more editing power than the SE version?

I'm really interested after reading so much, and one of the main attractions is the tweakability,but i'm going for the SE as i'm a performing musician...

I'm pretty sure the SE has the same tweaking power. The only difference is I think the Desktop model has more outputs, like SPDIF.

Porkchop: Thanks for the collection. Thought I had em all but guess not.

Davidelmo: Thanks for the patch... i'll try it when i get home from work.

ck3: Lookin forward to your library! And yeah, doubling your guitar sounds a lot thicker and heavier.

-Dave

• Members
Originally posted by kitfox-sg

Just a question... DOes the desktop version have more editing power than the SE version?

I'm really interested after reading so much, and one of the main attractions is the tweakability,but i'm going for the SE as i'm a performing musician...

Actually. if I'm not mistaken, the SE has a few parameters that the desktop does not. Right?:confused:

• Members

Sounds good ck3, I'm looking forward to you posting it! What is the timescale? Not that I would try to hurry you and spoil the end results!
It's the depth that you go into that boggles me.. I would never have considered reverb levels as part lf getting that sound.. damn; guess I still have lots of things to learn.

When you post it, would you please be able to provide a quick summary as you did for the TLSE? It was very helpful to say the least!

Also, what is the best way to double track a guitar sound? If I am doing a rhythm, I'm not technically good enough to play exactly the same as I recorded before. Do you just copy the track and paste it so that it plays at the same time? Or do you need some sort of delay?

I've tried "double tracking" by just having the track on the recording twice but all this seems to do it double the volume :confused:

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to recording, and that Vai piece is about the only bit of harmoies etc that I have done!

• Members

Hey all, I've been experimenting with this brutal down-tuned stuff, and a good amp to use is JCM200+UKT75, and turn the tone control on your guitar down. With just the right amount of gain you get a tight crunch, with no fizz! It sounds really good.. I'm working on cloning that hatebreed tone now, and I'll post any settings I come across whilst I'm at it!

For anyone reading this and thinking of getting a TL, notice that we have been talking about metal etc a lot.. this is because the Tonelab does everything else so well that we don't need to talk about it! Clean sounds, the blues, 80's rock etc are all very catered for.. we're just struggling over the extreme stuff now!

In terms of versatility I dont think you could beat a TL! :D

• Members

Care to help us out by posting some settings? :D :D

EDIT: I know this sounds stupid and obvious but I just tuned my guitar to drop B and it's all making much more sense now! Doing that changes the tone far more than any EQ does. Obvious I know, but it really helps when trying to make something sound evil! :mad:

• Members

Sounds good ck3, I'm looking forward to you posting it! What is the timescale?

Because a gradschool assignment deadline is being extended, I should be able to start as early as this weekend ... and might include some clips ... maybe even without the nuisance of *.zip folders this time. :)

When you post it, would you please be able to provide a quick summary as you did for the TLSE? It was very helpful to say the least!

Certainly. :D

Also, what is the best way to double track a guitar sound? If I am doing a rhythm, I'm not technically good enough to play exactly the same as I recorded before. Do you just copy the track and paste it so that it plays at the same time? Or do you need some sort of delay?

I have found that I achieve the most rich and authentic results by overdubbing in real time and panning the two tracks a certain percentage in opposing directions in the stereo field ... IMHO, with heavy sounds (in particular) the slight asynchronicity produced by "imperfect" playing and panning is what can create more depth and impact ... just listen to the guitar tones of Slayer, Hatebreed, In Flames, et al ... they are all pretty tight bands, but the guitars are not 100% in sync or focused in the center of the stereo field.

If you perfectly copy/paste the same track or use an 80-90ms delay to thicken your sound, the results will not be as "raw", and would probably be more akin to Dream Theater or Queensryche than brutal metal ... which, according to your posts, I ass/u/me to be the antithesis of your goal. :confused:

• Members

Thanks for your replies ck3, I'll give those tips you mentioned a go when I do my next recording!

Despite most of my posts on here, I am not an obsessed metal-head at all.. I just want my Tonelab to be extremely versatile and I have every other genre well covered! :D :D

• Members

ck3,

Are you just playing around with various settings to find your sounds and relying on your ears? I seem to struggle with getting the best tone out of effects processors and wonder if there are any good guides to getting the best tone by combining various effects and how to manipulate the settings of the effects to achieve the best tone out of my se.

Any suggestions?

• Members
Originally posted by nocaster

ck3,

Are you just playing around with various settings to find your sounds and relying on your ears? I seem to struggle with getting the best tone out of effects processors and wonder if there are any good guides to getting the best tone by combining various effects and how to manipulate the settings of the effects to achieve the best tone out of my se.

Any suggestions?

A good number of my tones are the product of wanting to use every feasible combination of stomps, amps, cabs, etc. on the modelers I currently own ... and I have gained experience from owning and extensively programming other effects/modeling devices manufactured by ART, Behringer, Line 6, Johnson, Digitech, and Yamaha.

I hate to admit it, but, most times, my tones are the product of serendipitous knob twiddling (especially with the violin and synth patches). There have been a few times that I have attempted to emulate real world celebrity rigs that I have read about various places, but I am, generally, more satisfied with my own creations.

If you have the time, I would recommend surfing through all of your Tonelab's effects, amp, and cab models to get a general sense of how they sound (if you haven't already). Afterward, it may be helpful to think about a general amp tone you are looking to create and to line up and tweak your basic stomp, amp model, and cab base.

The next phase would be the where you gradually add effects. (I usually start with Modulation and work my way to the right.) Don't be afraid to to tinker with extreme settings ... some of these can prove rewarding.

The final step would be where you make any final EQ, Reverb, Delay, and Modulation adjustments to even out the tone or give it a bit more edge or spank. One of my secret finishing touches is to sync all effects to a particular tempo using the following:

1) For Delays and Reverbs: The Analog X Delay Calculator

2) For Modulation: BPM/60=Hz ( I beleive that this gives you the whole note value for a particular tempo, which can be multiplied/divided by various factors to give you other beat values)

I hope that this has been somewhat informative ... Happy tweaking. :D:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

A good number of my tones are the product of wanting to use every feasible combination of stomps, amps, cabs, etc. on the modelers I currently own ... and I have gained experience from owning and extensively programming other effects/modeling devices manufactured by ART, Behringer, Line 6, Johnson, Digitech, and Yamaha.

I hate to admit it, but, most times, my tones are the product of serendipitous knob twiddling (especially with the violin and synth patches). There have been a few times that I have attempted to emulate real world celebrity rigs that I have read about various places, but I am, generally, more satisfied with my own creations.

If you have the time, I would recommend surfing through all of your Tonelab's effects, amp, and cab models to get a general sense of how they sound (if you haven't already). Afterward, it may be helpful to think about a general amp tone you are looking to create and to line up and tweak your basic stomp, amp model, and cab base.

The next phase would be the where you gradually add effects. (I usually start with Modulation and work my way to the right.) Don't be afraid to to tinker with extreme settings ... some of these can prove rewarding.

The final step would be where you make any final EQ, Reverb, Delay, and Modulation adjustments to even out the tone or give it a bit more edge or spank. One of my secret finishing touches is to sync all effects to a particular tempo using the following:

1) For Delays and Reverbs: The Analog X Delay Calculator

2) For Modulation: BPM/60=Hz ( I beleive that this gives you the whole note value for a particular tempo, which can be multiplied/divided by various factors to give you other beat values)

I hope that this has been somewhat informative ... Happy tweaking.
:D:cool:

Good info. That delay calculator is great. Thanks man. By the way, one thing that I have not spent enough time learning is the parameters that control reverb. How do you figure out the HI and LOW DAMP settings? Setting the reverb for me is just turning knobs until it sounds purdy.

Archived