OT: American Graffiti, Dazed & Confused, Breakfast Club...?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Probably that Singles movie or Reality Bites- pretty sad statement about the 90's, eh?

Singles was ok... although i would not say it's in the same class as as the three films listed above. That movie was actually made in 1991 before anyone was really paying attention to seattle, or the northwest. The 90's hadn't even really been defined yet. I'm not even sure this movie was about youth... most of the people in it seemed to be portraying people in their late 20's, not HS or recent college grads.

Reality bites was the first movie i thought of when i read the OP. This movie tries so {censored}ing hard, and misses the mark on everything. It doesnt help that i hate the violent fems. It doesnt help that I had a roommate who reminded me of my old roommate... by the way, this guy NEVER gets the girl. but worst of all it has winona ryder playing the same role she always does. wine and cry the whole movie, and be sad or offended over the most minor things.... and of course always some argument over semantics... yeah really compelling {censored} to watch a movie about some girl with rich parents and a college degree complain about how hard her life is, and that no one understands... and we all know in real life that girl would have jumped in ben stillers car and popped out a couple of kids and never looked back.

My wife loved this movie... she will say otherwise now.

• Members

00 - Superbad

90s - cant think of one

I don't think the definitive 90s high school movie has been made yet. The fact that it's taking some GenXer director this long to concoct it seems really apropos somehow. We might have to wait another decade for any product, if we get one at all.

I still haven't seen Superbad. Must go see.

• Members

I don't really see how Superbad is "definitive" of any particular time. Surely, the same plot could have been done in many eras. Plus, there just aren't that many earmarks or key elements in it that scream "2000s" to me. :idk:

• Members

dazed and confused NAILED my 9th grade experience. it was just about EXACTLY like that. scary....except my buddy had a '69 camaro. and we DID hang out at the foosball parlor, and he DID hit on the high school chicks....even tho he was like 25:lol:

• Members

there just aren't that many earmarks or key elements in it that scream "2000s" to me.
:idk:

That brings up a good point.

What are the key elements in the 3 films in the OP that make them relevant to their respective eras?

Aside from the soundtracks, and the fashions, was there something about the characters, their attitudes, and the themes that made them particular to their eras?

This is starting to sound like a film studies discertation. :facepalm:

• Members

dazed and confused NAILED my 9th grade experience. it was just about EXACTLY like that. scary....except my buddy had a '69 camaro. and we DID hang out at the foosball parlor, and he DID hit on the high school chicks....even tho he was like 25:lol:

I have a friend who has memorized nearly all of Wooderson's lines. I think he's trying to become Wooderson.

dazed050109.jpg

• 10 months later...

Archived