OT: American Graffiti, Dazed & Confused, Breakfast Club...?

• Members

90's is probably Kids

CLOROX with the WIN! :thu:

I hate to say it, but being in junior high school in 1976 was EXACTLY like the movie "Dazed and Confused". There were high school guys chasing us around as entering freshmen. We had a place in town that was a foosball and pool hall. And of course we did our share of doobie smokin and drinking cheap beers outta the can. The only thing that saved my ASS in school is that I could play guitar, so the jocks tolerated me, and the stoners hung out with me.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dazed & Confused had the look of the 70s but I was class of 79 and never saw the Seniors Vs Juniors and air raid stuff that went on in that movie. Other than that it was pretty accurate.

Kids (and Gummo) may be typical of white trash but I don't think they represent the USA in general, from any decade.

A Clockwork Orange is fantastic, although slightly OT.

• Members

Never saw D&C. So I can't comment on it. "Over the Edge" captured the true teen angst of the 70's decade. "Rock and Roll High School" was very low budget but VERY Funny.

Never saw Over the Edge, but Dazed & Confused is going to be tough to beat. It's pretty damn convincing. And like American Graffiti and The Breakfast Club, it jumpstarted the careers of a lot of actors and actresses.

• Members

Besides being about American high school kids, one thing that the 3 films in my OP have in common: they all take place in a small increment of time -

American Graffiti: about 8pm on a Friday night, to about 8am on a Saturday morning.

Dazed & Confused: about 12pm on a Friday afternoon to about 6am on a Saturday morning

Breakfast Club: about 7am on a Saturday morning to about 3pm that afternoon.

Do any of these films fit that criteria as well?

• Members

american graffitti was celebrating death day. a more masonic picture. showing how the tests were overcome on death day....one eye drops.

"gleaming the cube" was rebought and retitled "a brothers justice". it still sucks. the original title gave away drug information. sux.

90's is cant hardly wait, 10 things sux.

00' superbad

they cant pull off "EYE CONS" anymore. the technology is so crappy the quarter trick doesnt work anymore on peoples faces. the final products are less and less presentable with older adult stars looking like they have facial lepracy. whats with all the orange light?

• Members

Never saw
Over the Edge
, but
Dazed & Confused
is going to be tough to beat. It's pretty damn convincing. And like
American Graffiti
and
The Breakfast Club
, it jumpstarted the careers of a lot of actors and actresses.

If you can find it, Over the Edge is worth a watch. To me, it seemed a lot closer to things when I was growing up at that time. It won't knock any of those others off, but still a good movie. And it helped begin the Matt Dillon as the troubled youth era too.

• Members

Besides being about American high school kids, one thing that the 3 films in my OP have in common: they all take place in a small increment of time -

American Graffiti:
about 8pm on a Friday night, to about 8am on a Saturday morning.

Dazed & Confused:
about 12pm on a Friday afternoon to about 6am on a Saturday morning

Breakfast Club:
about 7am on a Saturday morning to about 3pm that afternoon.

Do any of these films fit that criteria as well?

Superbad only covers 24 hours if I'm correct.

• Members

If you can find it, Over the Edge is worth a watch. To me, it seemed a lot closer to things when I was growing up at that time. It won't knock any of those others off, but still a good movie. And it helped begin the Matt Dillon as the troubled youth era too.

Very cool movie and great soundtrack, pretty realistic of what I remember about those times...

• Members

I agree with the poster about "Slacker" for the 1990s.

But "Dazed and Confused" was a 1990s film about the 1970s. So the definitive 90s movie may still be yet un-made.

• Members

I can't think of a better representation of the 90's than Kids. But I think it depends on what you were into and how old you were in the 90's. I was a teenage skateboarder into indie music and did a lot of partying and hanging out for hours and hours with my friends at plazas and parks and other skate spots vs. at a persons house. And HIV was a big deal throughout the decade, kinda like acid rain in the 80's.

For me Kids rings true, but probably not for everyone?

Archived