OT: American Graffiti, Dazed & Confused, Breakfast Club...?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Doom Generation, The Thing Called Love, Kicking and Screaming, Mallrats, and Killing Zoe are really 90's to me.

Clueless, Can't Hardly Wait, and Empire Records were definitely up there in a commercial watered downed way.

I remember seeing Pulp Fiction in a theater - that was a pretty 90's movie though I vastly preferred Reservoir Dogs at the time.

• Members

Honestly the one for the 90s hasn't been made yet. Kids is a good movie, but it's not representative of the typical american teenage experience in the 90s.

It may be a bit more extreme, but honestly, I can't think of anything better. It seems pretty much all 90s coming of age movies contain similar content.

• Members

I was just about to post the same thing. Great soundtrack too, IIRC that included Van Halen, Cheap Trick, Ted Nugent, etc...

Here is the soundtrack listed in Wiki. It was heavy on Cheap Trick.. since 78-79 was their zenith

1. Cheap Trick "Surrender"

2. The Cars "My Best Friend's Girl"

3. Van Halen "You Really Got Me"

4. Cheap Trick "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace"

5. Jimi Hendrix "Come On (Part One)"

6. The Cars "Just What I Needed"

7. Cheap Trick "Hello There"

8. The Ramones "Teenage Lobotomy"

9. Cheap Trick "Downed"

10. Little Feat "All That You Dream"

11. Valerie Carter "Ooh Child"

I thought I remembered Nugent in this too...do you remember what tunes?

• Members

Honestly the one for the 90s hasn't been made yet. Kids is a good movie, but it's not representative of the typical american teenage experience in the 90s.

I don't know, I think I had a pretty typical childhood/young adulthood, and it pretty well sums it for me. I was in the suburbs; tone the content of that movie down a little bit and you'd end up with a fair portait of my youth.

• Members

What? Of course it is. What's more ironic '00s than 70s funk tracks?

By the way, gus, I don't really get your sig. I mean, I get it, but just because thirty million people have the whammy doesn't mean that it's better than the eventide, it just means that more people bought the whammy. The eventide harmonizers are out of most musicians' budgets.

• Members

gonna have to go with Clerks or Reality Bites. 90's folks, remember?
:cop:
And Reality bites is SATIRE on 90's pop culture made by none other than Ben Stiller.

But neither of those films was about High School kids. They fit more in the tradition of The Graduate, Breaking Away, About Last Night, etc. Don't you think?

• Members

What? Of course it is. What's more ironic '00s than 70s funk tracks?

By the way, gus, I don't really get your sig. I mean, I get it, but just because thirty million people have the whammy doesn't mean that it's better than the eventide, it just means that more people bought the whammy. The eventide harmonizers are out of most musicians' budgets.

oh yeah, the soundtrack fits the movie perfectly, i was just saying that it isn't 00's music at all.... @_@

and about my sig, well it's from a little Q&A with tom morello, i guess you haven't read it, but the answers he gives are hilarious.

and he doesn't know, well he knows a little, but doesn't really care what effects, amp, speakers, pick ups, etc, he uses, as long as he likes the sound of it, it's all good!

anyways my sig isn't claiming 30 million people have bought the whammy.

check out the Q&A with Tom Morello, if you want to, of course http://www.tommorello.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7255&pid=147425&mode=threaded&start=

• Members

american graffitti was celebrating death day. a more masonic picture. showing how the tests were overcome on death day....one eye drops.

wat?

I'd say Clerks is the best bet for 90s encapsulating youth (not high school, but close enough) pop culture movie. Of course, like Dazed and Confused (70's through the eyes of the 90's), we'll probably get a "definitive" 90's film next decade.

Kids is hack work. It wasn't really indicative of many people's teen experiences in the 90's, it was more of a hyperbolic Hollywood message movie - i.e. "our kids are out of control!", like The Wild One.

• Members

But one of the main ideas of Clerks is that he isn't a kid anymore. He's an early 30's slob with no prospects and a childlike attitude. He doesn't want to grow up and move past his past. Doesn't really strike me as a coming-of-age film.

• 10 months later...

Archived