Electro-Harmonix Muff Fuzz Crying Tone Wah

• Members

Does anyone know much about it? Which Muff circuit does it use? Is it the Little Muff Pi circuit?

IIRC, it is the same fuzz as the Muff Fuzz/Little Muff Pi...

muffs.jpg

lilmuff.jpg

Also, IIRC, the wah tone isn't much to write home about, but that's more of a subjective choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Price?:poke:
:love:

Not quite ready to sell her off, if ever. I am, however, debating if I should sell off my other Crying Tone Wah (non-fuzz version). Problem is, I put a lot of time and energy into restoring it, and I doubt that I will get back what I put into it because they aren't selling well on eBay right now. But if I wait a few years...?

• Members

what are your thoughts on the pedal?

Very versatile, especially for a pedal built 30+ years ago. You can use the Muff Fuzz alone, without the wah, or vice versa. Used together, I can get that Swervedriver-like scream that I love so much. The Muff Fuzz circuit definitely comes before the wah in the circuit, so it has an almost synth-like quality in the tone. I love the fact that each section has its own pushbutton switch. It's very easy to stomp both on/off simultaneously.

The 4-way rotary selector is way ahead of its time - I use the middle-high frequency position the most, but I used the mid-low frequency for the 3rd section of the demo. Again, it's very synthesizer-like, even when the Muff Fuzz is disengaged. I'd like to try out the low-frequency position on my bass guitar.

The pedal arrived in pretty rough condition. The treadle pot was very scratchy. I replaced it with a 100k linear Alpha, and that worked like a charm. I sprayed a bit of WD-40 in the hinge of the treadle, and it took the squeak clean out. The other pots were fine - no problems.

These treadle enclosures are huge, heavy, and super-rugged. Stuff just isn't built like this anymore.

• Members

Very versatile, especially for a pedal built 30+ years ago. You can use the Muff Fuzz alone, without the wah, or vice versa. Used together, I can get that Swervedriver-like scream that I love so much. The Muff Fuzz circuit definitely comes before the wah in the circuit, so it has an almost synth-like quality in the tone. I love the fact that each section has its own pushbutton switch. It's very easy to stomp both on/off simultaneously.

The 4-way rotary selector is way ahead of its time - I use the middle-high frequency position the most, but I used the mid-low frequency for the 3rd section of the demo. Again, it's very synthesizer-like, even when the Muff Fuzz is disengaged. I'd like to try out the low-frequency position on my bass guitar.

i'd like to hear that with a bass too.

it must have been a blast working for ehx in the mid 70's.

Archived