Electro-Harmonix Muff Fuzz Crying Tone Wah

• Members

Seriously, I wish Mike Matthews, Howard Davis and Dave Cockerell would write biographies with extensive accounts of the 70s
:idea:

from the looks of them, i doubt they remember much of it, but maybe one of them has a journal they could release.

• Members

- from the looks of them, i doubt they remember much of it, but maybe one of them has a journal they could release.

I don't look bad for my age, thanks to being a fitness/health fanatic. And despite any excesses typical of the Rock n' Roll lifestyle, as far as I can remember, my memory is intact! - ;)

The book Analog Man's Guide to Vintage Effects has some biographical and historical information on EH and its engineers. David Koltai (Pigtronix) said I should write an autobiography, but experience has shown me that book writing, even when you get published, is often barely worth the effort. Maybe when I retire - which I won't do until I'm 95 or so -

Also see - http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/WhoIAm.htm

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:

http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

• Members

Very versatile, especially for a pedal built 30+ years ago. Again, it's very synthesizer-like, even when the Muff Fuzz is disengaged.

sounds very cool, I'd love to try that. did you use it live yet? can you compare it to other wahs (modern ones)?

• Members

did you use it live yet? can you compare it to other wahs (modern ones)?

I don't play out much anymore, so no, I haven't used it in a live setting yet. I've played a few different wahs - Dunlop GCB-95, Vox V-847, Akai Variwah, Digitech XP-100 - and they always had the same issue for me - there wasn't enough sweep in the sweet spot. EHX did this right. The enclosure was built with a massive sweep, so you really feel like you're getting the most out of the sweet spot.

One major issue for live use is that it isn't true bypassed, and there is tone suckage. I'm not sure what it would take to mod it, as it might be more difficult than usual with the 2 pushbutton switches. It might require 2 4pdts. Right now, I don't want to mess with it.

Another issue is that the treadle, being as old as it is, doesn't hold in mid-sweep. There's no more resistance in the hinge anymore. This doesn't pose a problem for me, because I have so many other pedals to use for the cocked-wah sound.

The best feature is the Reverse Sweep switch, and the 4 bandpass modes. Today I've been playing my Octave Multiplexer into the Wah using the 2 lower bandpass modes, and it sounds amazing. You won't get that using a Dunlop or Vox.

• Members

I don't look bad for my age, thanks to being a fitness/health fanatic. And despite any excesses typical of the Rock n' Roll lifestyle, as far as I can remember, my memory is intact! -
;)

The book Analog Man's Guide to Vintage Effects has some biographical and historical information on EH and its engineers. David Koltai (Pigtronix) said I should write an autobiography, but experience has shown me that book writing, even when you get published, is often barely worth the effort. Maybe when I retire - which I won't do until I'm 95 or so -

Also see -
http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/WhoIAm.htm

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:

http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

Howard, love what you are doing and have done with EHX and Pigtronix. Oh, and thanks for getting my Deluxe Big Muff going. It sounds fantastic!

• Members

OT, I read somewhere that you had a Dirt Road Special amp, how many watts is that ? How much clean headroom does it have?

25 watts. Plenty of clean headroom, especially with a compressor. You have to love an amp that has a built-in Small Stone. The Bite control really does boost the mids, and there's plenty of crisp high-end.

It's an amazing amp if you can find one in good condition, or if you can restore it. They were made around 1977 - 1980?, so you can bet that they'll need a bit of TLC. Mine rattled quite a bit when I got it, but I tightened up the circuitry and the cabinet, replaced the speaker with an EHX 12V8 (greenback clone), and now it works perfectly. The pots could use some cleaner, but I'll get around to that eventually.

• 5 months later...

Archived