WOT: Tornadoes

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like where I live.

It's landlocked. No hurricanes.

To many mountains for tornadoes

The earth stays firmly stable. {censored} earthquakes. the earth isn't supposed to move.

The only thing that ever happens is floods, and I live on a big ass hill.

• Members

i really hate talking about it but since its been brought up, my school was hit by a tornado on march 1 2007. absolute worst day of my life. lost 8 friends.
here's a video of some of the damage.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

That is VERY sad. My condolences.

having you old band practice field used as a parking lot for news trucks and seeing the presidents helicopter flying overhead from your bedroom window is probably one of the most surreal feelings i've ever had. probably one of the only situations in my life where my brain actually went into "auto-pilot"

sorry to get all depressing, my bad

• Members

having you old band practice field used as a parking lot for news trucks and seeing the presidents helicopter flying overhead from your bedroom window is probably one of the most surreal feelings i've ever had. probably one of the only situations in my life where my brain actually went into "auto-pilot"

had a similar experience when there was a shooting at my brothers high school. It turned out fine, a girl got shot in the arm. She's fine. And most people who knew her have agreed she deserved it, and she's still a total bitch. It's just really {censored}ing weird to see a place you know on every news network. I was like 11 when it happened too, major mind{censored}.

• Members

That's really tragic and horrifying, but it really puts things into perspective. I'm glad that you made it through safely.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I lived in a small town in Nebraska from about first grade up until I moved to Wyoming for college. When I was young, summer was the worst as I was terrified of tornadoes. I don't know how many times we'd have tornado drills at school or my parents would huddle my sister and I into the downstairs bathroom just incase. Pretty scary stuff.

They don't really worry me all that much anymore. I think it was just a phase I went through when I was younger. A few years ago though, we had a tornado come through Laramie, Wyoming, which was kind of a shock considering all the mountains and the elevation here.

• Members

Tornadoes are indeed terrifying. I've been lucky enough to narrowly avoid three pretty big tornadoes.

In 1995, my daughter's future elementary school had the gym roof torn off by this tornado:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJIckKUdOw

After the building was rebuilt, they put a huge photo of the tornado in the school's foyer to welcome students every morning. It gave my daughter nightmares.

Then in March 2006, I skipped out on a gig and made it home minutes before the tornado that caused the damage in the following video hit just two blocks from the house.

And in August 2009, a tornado hit 4/10ths of a mile from my home. My daughter was home alone when it hit. That was the scariest. My wife made it home just before they closed off Main St due to downed trees and power lines. I remember driving the back roads for almost two hours looking for a way home.

Here's some damage from that last one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPrTmg9B90Y

• 1 month later...

Archived