Pedals that disappoint...

Raelm

• Members

MXR Distortion III (just weird)
BBE Opto-Stomp (not enough comp)
Boss CS-3 (noisy as crap)
Fulldrive II (didn't cut enough and the boost was way over the top, maybe I was using it wrong)
Tonefactor Huckleberry (too tinny for my tastes, but others love it)
Boss TR-2 (flat)
Subdecay Liquid Sunshine (older version)
Fatboost V1 (too muddy)
VoodooLabs Microvibe (noisy and cut the signal at more extreme settings)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Awesome box, check.

Zero trade-in value, check.

Usable? sometimes.

Too easy to accidentally RUIN your settings with a sloppy foot, check.

Too big? (look at the pcb)

Good for some stuff, but mine is set up like a clean boost right now. . .I just can't bond with it the way I want to.

but the clicking is fun.
:)

I agree that it is very dependant on finding your settings and sticking with them, the slightest tweak on the sag or bias knob will knock the sound off, but I also think there are dozens of different sounds in it.

Regarding its size, I agree that it could be put in a smaller box, but it is a four knob pedal after all and I actually thought it was going to be bigger on account of the size of the knobs. In that sense it is deceptively small. Plus, if it were smaller, you run even more risk of losing your precious toans by accident.

• Members

There's plenty of pedals I've played that I thought didn't deserve anything like the hype they get. For the effects I've owned, the ones I was most disappointed with were the OCD and Tube Zone.

I wouldn't include any low cost pedals in my disappointing list because it's a crap shoot with them anyway, but I've been pleased more than disappointed anyway.

• Members

Mellowtone Wolf Computer: I've really tried to like this pedal, but it just doesn't do anything that I can use. It doesn't cut through my band when I do the crazy glitchy stuff, and I don't think the overdrive/fuzz sounds that some forumites raves about are very natural sounding at all. I really don't know why I still have this pedal. I do like my Singing Tree though, so the Wolf Computer has not turned me off of Mellowtone entirely.

Devi Ever U.S. Fuzz and White Spider: For starters, neither pedal worked when I received them, so there's quality issues there. I liked the sound of the U.S. but did not go for the weird decay. I really did not like the White Spider at all.

Big Muff with Tone Wicker: I actually do like this pedal, but only in standard Big Muff mode. I was disappointed in the Tone/Wicker switches. Just didn't sound quite the way I wanted it to. Totally worth it for a Big Muff in a small box though.

• Members

lovepedal e (or whatever i had)

lovepedal cot 50 burst

barber small fry

nano small stone

ocd v.4

it may have just been my expectations or maybe my amp.

Goodhonk,

What did you not like about the Barber Small Fry? I was actually thinking of picking one of those up sometime. I realize that just because you don't like it doesn't mean that I won't, but I'm just curious.

• Members

Holy Stain - not that disappointing as I had a feeling it might turn out to be {censored}. So much potential for greatness.

Catalinbread Semaphore - it lasted two hours with me.

Not a pedal but the Cornford Carrera amp was a huge disappointment.

Ditto. I love every other Cbread pedal out there too.

• Members

I had high hopes for the BB Preamp, but it was much too compressed and smooth- I could see fusion players loving it, but not a good pedal for rock IMO. EH Micro Synth is another I gassed for for a long time, but it turned out to be a one trick pony for the most part- cool trick, but not worth the price tag.

• Members

zvex fuzz factory - it's just really finicky and its difficult to dial in good tones with it. i still use it for glitchy velcro sounds, though.

little big muff pi - unusable in a band with more than one guitarist. boomy, ugly sounds with no real range of tones.

ehx holy grail - eats volume, eats high end, blend knob is strange and uneven. flerb? get the {censored} out.

every phaser ever.

• Members

Goodhonk,

What did you not like about the Barber Small Fry? I was actually thinking of picking one of those up sometime. I realize that just because you don't like it doesn't mean that I won't, but I'm just curious.

it made my amp sound like a dumble, but in a fake way. i could hear what it was trying to do, but i didn't like what i heard. i think my main problem is that i am mostly a rhythm player and the pedals i listed are for single note tones, plus i don't know what i'm looking for.

btw, i was using a drri with these pedals.

Archived