Pedals that disappoint...

Raelm

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Not even man. You can find a lot of use out of having 2. Listen to Cave In. There's a lot of dual PS-3 action. Personally, i've come up with a lot of different melodies while using 2.

Aw, I have a ps-5 on the way. :facepalm: Is it a significant upgrade?

• Members
1. Neither do I.

2. It is
much
more than a one-trick pony.

3. I love it.

1. I didn't think you were in a regular gigging band, you seem like more of a hobby/bedroom/jamming player, excuse me if im wrong :idk:

2. Mode 7, a few things good for noise/textures, neither of which I need/require

3. Sure, but everyone is allowed to like different stuff right...

...right? :lol:

• Members

I don't want to say the Holy Stain yet, because I keep thinking that there's an application in it I just haven't stumbled upon yet. I'm not ready to give up on it.

I was a bit disappointed with the EHX Stereo PolyPhase. If I found a used one for a good price again, I might give it another go. The features were cool, but the blend was too subtle.

• Members
1. I didn't think you were in a regular gigging band, you seem like more of a hobby/bedroom/jamming player, excuse me if im wrong
:idk:

2. Mode 7, a few things good for noise/textures, neither of which I need/require

...right?
:lol:

it's a horrible pitch shifter, sounds bad, tracks worse :idk:

• Members
Aw, I have a ps-5 on the way.
:facepalm:
Is it a significant upgrade?

Negative. I had 2 PS-3's and a PS-5 at one point.. I found more use out of the PS-3. Boss has replaced the PS-3 with the Harmonist and the PS-5. I've used both of them. I would never spend money on them. If I got them for free, MAYBE i'd keep it around and mod it or something. But other than that.. Neh.

• Members

You will enjoys D!

i don't know if it will make it onto my gigging board, as i don't require that sound very much for my band stuff.....but it may be fun for ambient soundscapes and some of my more experimental stuff.

i keep trying to INTEGRATE my ambient music and my guitar playing....haven't ever done it to my satisfaction yet....

• Members

Negative. I had 2 PS-3's and a PS-5 at one point.. I found more use out of the PS-3. Boss has replaced the PS-3 with the Harmonist and the PS-5. I've used both of them. I would never spend money on them. If I got them for free, MAYBE i'd keep it around and mod it or something. But other than that.. Neh.

But the PS-5 has the harmonizing feature, so what's missing from it that makes the PS-3 better?

• Members

1. I didn't think you were in a regular gigging band, you seem like more of a hobby/bedroom/jamming player, excuse me if im wrong
:idk:

...right?
:lol:

1. I'm not in a "gigging band" at the moment, no .... I play at church (and use the PS-3 quite a bit in that venue). That said, tomorrow I'm jamming with a local drummer who's been looking to start something up -- so that previous statement may change. :D

2. THE PS-3 IS NOT JUST GOOD FOR MODE-7!!!

3. Yes. And that's fine. Refer to #2.

• Members
i don't know if it will make it onto my gigging board, as i don't require that sound very much for my band stuff.....but it may be fun for ambient soundscapes and some of my more experimental stuff.

i keep trying to INTEGRATE my ambient music and my guitar playing....haven't ever done it to my satisfaction yet....

I love using it dude, seriously. I use it a lot for ambient and experimental riffing. As I said before, I use it a lot in one of my bands, and it surfaces a little bit in some of my other bands. All in all, i'm glad to have it on my board. :thu:

• Members

I usually like Mellowtone, but this disappointed me too.

Yes, Yes, it was a triumph in handpalmistry.

If the knobs had just had a full range of functionality, it might have been okay. It basically only did 2 things, and I bet it could have been a lot better with some resistor changing.

• Members

:wave:

ambient music is hard to integrate with guitar. i wish the rest of my bandmates were into ambient music so we could do interludes and cool breaks

• Members

I was very disappointed by the BBE Opto Stomp, I heard such great things but then it was only good at very subtle settings, anything too high and it starts trampling all over your pick attack. Others like it, but I don't get on with it at all. Their Orange Squash is a much better compressor, pretty sure it's a VCA, but it preserves the full frequency range of the guitar's output very well and has a nice, warm sound, with usable range from subtle to squash without demolishing your picking dynamics or getting in the way of you using the volume knob. It has a gentle operation, almost like a compressor and limiter in one - it sets a pretty solid ceiling, but it's gradual in the way it grabs softer stuff. Still a very noticable addition of warmth and sustain (warmth, of course, in this context really means "midbass" since it evens out the pickups' natural tendancy towards higher frequency output - but it also ups the treble in a way that's pretty sparkly on some guitars, and doesn't hurt on others).

So BBE Opto Stomp = :(, BBE Orange Squash = :)

That's the most recent one. But I plugged in the Boss Dyna Drive the other day to test it against the Bjorn Honeybee, and it doesn't live up in any way. The dynamics are great, it's got a cool thing going on there, but the sound of the dirt is abrasive and is only useful as n expander to an already overdriving amp or another pedal with a strong character. Used that way, with the distortion control set low (noon or even 9 o'clock preferably), it can do a very good job of opening up whatever's down stream from it thanks to its soft and hard algorithms that switch seamlessly based on pick attack. But for the love of tone don't buy the damned thing to use it on its own, it is a bad combination of bland and harsh.

While I love my Morley Dragon Wah, and I love my Ibanez Weeping Demon, I hate the Bad Horsie and Bad Horsie II. They just sound all kinds of turd, and so does every Crybaby I've tried. Must be something with my setup's general frequency characteristics, because I love the wah sounds that a lot of my favorite artists get with some variation of the Crybaby, but for me they just sound nasal and bad. I guess I like (some) optical wahs.

• Members
:wave:

ambient music is hard to integrate with guitar. i wish the rest of my bandmates were into ambient music so we could do interludes and cool breaks

Dude, you're in an indie band.. As am I. You should know how easy it is to integrate ambient breaks between songs. C'mon.

Archived