Pedals That didn't Work Out For You

JMR

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

try it first in the chain

I have. And I agree that's where they sound best, before the dirt.

I just can't get on with it.

It's like when this hot chick really digs you, but you have a hard time actually liking her. Sure, you take her for a spin a few times - just to see how it goes. But she's just not your type.

• Members

Just bought a EH Stereo Pulsar. Kinda cool, but sooo sensitive. If I found a cool sound, I could never get it back. Maybe just me. Still looking for a slow pulsing tremolo.

Danelectro FabEcho - waste of time & $

Through a tube amp I finally heard how bad my Crybaby really sounded. Hope to change that soon.

My Vox 847-A sounds decent, except for a volume drop. Hope to change that soon.

• Members
EHX Pulsar (both versions). For the hundreth time...the wave only goes down, then back up to your unity volume. I need a trem that goes down, then back up above unity volume for truly thick trem sounds. And the depth sort of jumps up in incriments rather than a smooth wave :cop: Very versatile otherwise though.

MXR Carbon Copy. Great tone to it, and great looks, but for slap back delays I just couldn't tune it into the exact time I wanted, I kept tweaking and tweaking the thing but it always sounded a little off-beat. I'd have loved it otherwise.

Ibanez AD9 Keeley mod The standard AD9 must sound pretty crap. Really not all that impressed with the 'improved' tone. Ok, but not great. Plus I had not use for the oscillation mod.

• Members

Devi Ever Torn's Peaker. Way, way, way, way too bright for me, and a TON of hiss. It had a cool fuzz flavor, to be sure, but I couldn't put up with having to re-EQ my amp and all the extra noise.

Devi Ever Hyperion. With my old amp, it was a touch too bright, and I wish it was a little bit more natural sounding. With my current amp, though, I think it would sound pretty killer. I kind of wish I had it still.

Tone Factor Fuzz Saw. I really wanted to like it, but I just didn't like the sound at all. It was marketed as a wall of fuzz modern take on the muff, but I found it... too wimpy? My MJM Foxey Fuzz, which is supposed to be more vintagey, does the aggressive mean wall of fuzz so much better.

I've tried and loved other offerings from Devi and from Andy Carroll, but these ones just didn't work for me. At all.

• Members

Bright cap mod should help
:wave:

ruin my amp and clean tone so some pedals sound better!?

i think the bright cap is needed for playing with some volume.

i know there's a mod to bypass the cap with the flick of a switch, but that is beyond my know how.

• Members

Boss GE-7 - I still don't understand this one. Most of my favorite guitarists have one on their board, but pretty much everywhere I set mine, it was a hiss-fest. Got a DOD FX40 instead and it works beautifully.

Boss pedals are notorious for hissing if you don't have a boss power supply.

I stilll like some of their pedals though, like my DM-2

• Members

I've been flipping pedals since I first started playing 15 (or so) years ago ... these are some of the most memorable fails:

Ibanez CM5 Classic Metal - Ice pick city with my second rig
Boss AW-2 Auto Wah - Difficult to control back when I was first getting into effects
Lovepedal Toxic - Sounded too toxic (thin and fizzy) with my rig at the time
DOD FX22 Vibrothang - Volume drop made it unusable outside of a feedback loop
Sabine NEX-5100 Fuzzstortion - Fizziest and most lifeless distortion evar
ThisBrian Frankenfuzz - Unpredictable
Sirkut Electronics R-MOD - I wasn't aware that this was a self-oscillating ring modulator until I got one
Prophecysound Infinitphase MKII - Beautiful sounds, but far too complex for me
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory - Too sensitive to other components of my rig
Akai SB1 Deep Impact - Would not track above the 12th fret of the high E string
Studio Electronics Mod Max Filter - Would not track period ... and the popped like a military snare
Digitech XTF Turbo Flange - Plenty of options, but too brittle sounding
Rocktek COR-01 Compressor - Thin, quacky, and only useful in a feedback loop
Maxon CP-101 Compressor - Too squishy
Electro~Harmonix Stereo Polychorus Reissue - Could never seem to balance delay time settings with the modulations
Behringer VD1 Vintage Distortion - Decent tone, but not fuzzy enough for me
Electro~Harmonix Metal Muff - Could never seem to balance the EQ
DOD FX66 Flashback Fuzz - Cocked-wah style EQ and lack of sustain
Danelectro DJ -24 French Fries Auto Wah - Not enough range for my taste
Zinky True Grit - Too gritty
Pearl OC-07 Octaver - Bypass was horrible and upper octave was weak
MI Audio Tube Zone (V.2) - Slight fizziness with palm muting
Behringer DR100 Digital Reverb - 50% DOA and kind of blah otherwise
Behringer UF100 Ultra Flanger - Not lush enough for me
Behringer NR100 Noise Reducer - Created noise
ProCo Rat II (w/ Vodka 2-way mod) - Too much fizz
Danelectro Daddy-O - Could not dial in a tone that I liked
Electro~Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man Reissue - Could never seem to balance levels and one of the knobs wore out too quickly
Danelectro Fabtone - Fizz city with zero mids
Modded Boss MT-2 Metal Zone - Modded for white noize ... I prefer pink
Teese RMC FK-1 Compressor - Nowhere near being a Keeley killer IMO ... too squishy
Tonefactor Ultralord - Difficult to dial in a usable sound
Electro~Harmonix Nano Bassballs - Did not sound full with a guitar signal
Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler - Sterile and fake sounding
Washburn/Lyon Stereo Chorus - Clock noise without buffers present
Electro~Harmonix Germanium OD - Great for stacking, but pretty lame by itself
Rocktron Hypnotic Flange - Not quite a sample/hold flanger

• Members

-little big muff. doesn't cut through a full band at all. it's a shame because I loved the tone when playing by myself or with just drums/bass.

-fuzz factory. some very cool glitchy sounds but nothing very usable in a band setting for me.

Archived