So is relic'ing cool now that G&L are doing it?

• Members

I'm not a fan really. They're more tasteful than some of the Fender offerings, but I'm guessing that they're also more expensive than a standard model. Paying more for someone else to beat the {censored} out of a guitar is just asinine IMO. I don't buy 'worn' jeans.... and I won't buy a 'worn' guitar.

• Members

I'm not a fan really. They're more tasteful than some of the Fender offerings, but I'm guessing that they're also more expensive than a standard model.
Paying more for someone else to beat the {censored} out of a guitar is just asinine IMO. I don't buy 'worn' jeans.... and I won't buy a 'worn' guitar.

yup. I agree....if they are the same price then whatever, but paying more for a relic'd guitar is crazy imo.

• Members

The guitar makers are justing laughing all the way to the bank. Those that buy blue guitars are sheep. BaaBaa

idiots.

CT.

:idk:

What's so cynical about relicing compared to any other cosmetic addition to a guitar? Why is it a worse thing for a guitar maker to offer than, say, binding, or block inlays, or a choice of colours?

• Members

yup. I agree....if they are the same price then whatever, but paying more for a relic'd guitar is crazy imo.

this, this, and this. i'll relic the {censored}ing thing myself by playing it and spilling moonshine on it.

• Members

so it was interesting what I learned about small guitar builders. Many do not have access to the high quality finishing machines that big builders have, especially if they do it in house. For them the baseline is "closet classic" but some people prefer more relicing. This is fine because they don't charge extra to relic like fender because often they may not have the choice to give you a pristine finish.

I'm not a huge fan of body relicing, but I also couldn't care less if a guitar looks slightly worn as long as it plays well. for me, its a tool and not a display piece, I don't hang it up on the wall and think of how pretty it looks.

I think 'wearing' the back of a neck is awesome though, it makes it more comfortable and therefore you play better.

Im not a proponent for or against, I understand why people hate the big names doing it, but itls not that big of a deal.

• Members

so it was interesting what I learned about small guitar builders. Many do not have access to the high quality finishing machines that big builders have, especially if they do it in house. For them the baseline is "closet classic" but some people prefer more relicing. This is fine because they don't charge extra to relic like fender because often they may not have the choice to give you a pristine finish.

I'm not a huge fan of body relicing, but I also couldn't care less if a guitar looks slightly worn as long as it plays well. for me, its a tool and not a display piece, I don't hang it up on the wall and think of how pretty it looks.

I think 'wearing' the back of a neck is awesome though, it makes it more comfortable and therefore you play better.

Im not a proponent for or against, I understand why people hate the big names doing it, but itls not that big of a deal.

I'm all for making stuff more playable...... so I get what you're saying about sanding down necks and stuff. Beyond that though, I don't see how oxidizing saddles, knobs, tuners & jackplates does anything for playability... let along beating it to {censored} on purpose.

Aesthetics are what they are for a reason, but personally... I'm don't see much sense in paying more for a guitar that someone naturally damaged just so that it looks older and, I guess, cooler.

I do like a nice sunburst though. I'd pay extra for that. :poke:

• Members

I agree, paying more for that is stupid. but think of it this way, if the best a small builder can do is make a closet classic, would you want brand new shiny hardware on it? I personally would want it to match so I wouldn't mind the guy making the hardware "match" the finish by doing whatever, so long as I don't pay for it.

I agree about not getting it beat to {censored} though, im talking about really light if any relic like a fender closet classic.

• Members

i was in jr. high in the late 80's, and skateboarding was super cool. the mark of a true skater was ollie holes in your converse, and i recall my neighbors rubbing their shoes on their griptape to achieve this look. the end.

Archived