Who was your favorite/least favorite president?

amarr1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not from the U.S., but I've read a lot of books about its politics, and I'd say the least favourite pres of mine is George Bush. I mean, the Patriotic Act stuff, the war, all that. Lyndon comes a close second, the escalation of the war in Vietnam wasn't such a good idea after all.

As for the favourite - Nixon. Not because I consider him a good guy, but for me, the Watergate trials showed that there truly is (was, at least) freedom of speech, free press, the fact that no one, including the president, can escape the law.

• Members

Favorite: None, we haven't had a decent president yet. That says more about the system than the men, though.

Hmm... this is a bit of a cop out I think. There hasn't been even a decent president? What criteria are you holding them up against? What (realistic) standards would a president have to meet to be considered "good," even decent?

If a man is charged with great responsibility and acts in keeping with his conscience, what more can you ask of him? Must he choose correctly 100% of the time? Who's to say his contestable actions are even objectively wrong? You? Me?

The best of men are mere men at best.

• Members

favorite: george washington

lets be serious he started the whole {censored}ing thing...

and one point to bring up... didnt jackson adopt a native american child? i know he hated the natives but im pretty sure he had a daughter or son who was native.

• Members

As Canadian I can't comment about things that applied to you as a nation.

I dunno. Many of the presidents being talked about here were dead before any of us were born.

It's out of context for almost everyone involved.

Pbone lives as similar a world to Andrew Jackson as I do to Charlemagne. I think the topic is fair game to anyone who's studied enough history to draw a reasonable conclusion about a man's actions.

• Members

Hmm... this is a bit of a cop out I think. There hasn't been even a
decent
president? What criteria are you holding them up against? What (realistic) standards would a president have to meet to be considered "good," even decent?

If a man is charged with great responsibility and acts in keeping with his conscience, what more can you ask of him? Must he choose correctly 100% of the time? Who's to say his contestable actions are even objectively wrong? You? Me?

The best of men are mere men at best.

Certainly not a cop out, given my latter statement.

• Members

Best presidents:

Washington > Teddy Roosevelt > Franklin Roosevelt > Lincoln

Washington was against the two party system and foreign involvement. Smartest president ever. Why did nobody listen to him?

The other three guys were a little overreaching in their power at times, which I disapprove of, but they got good things done.

Worst presidents:

Andrew Jackson (mass murderer) and all the other manifest destiny bastards.

• Members

I dunno. Many of the presidents being talked about here were
dead
before any of us were
born

It's out of context for almost everyone involved.

Pbone lives as similar a world to Andrew Jackson as I do to Charlemagne. I think the topic is fair game to anyone who's studied enough history to draw a reasonable conclusion about a man's actions.

That's a stretch. The technology and the landscape was different at the time, people were the same. People have always been the same.

• Members

While Nixon is not my favorite, He's not on the bottom of my list either. His administration started the EPA, public broadcasting, and a slew of other "liberal" government programs. He even pushed for universal health care, but like truman and clinton was never able to realize it.

He also reopened ties with china, in a way that I don't think Reagan or bush could have without choking on their own dogma.

Nixon was actually a pretty liberal president when compared to the last 30 years or so. Deep personality flaws are pretty obvious though... mostly paranoia and a need to be liked by everyone. he was jealous of JFK.

favorites- Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Clinton.

Least favorites- Jackson, Pierce, Coolidge, W

Yeah, Nixon's just a sleezeball

• Members

Favorite is certainly George Washington. The only man not to pursue the presidency, the man who turned down what would have amounted to being the King of America... He certainly set the standard that no other president has been able to stand up to.

Least favorite: That's tougher. I like leaders of action, so Clinton's term annoyed me. Obama so far has equally done nothing but hold press conferences, but he's still got a lot of time left on his term. Clinton did very little of any worth (including Monica) during his two terms in office, so I think he holds onto the title for now.

Although I think this was certainly the best President:

scary_movie_4_01.jpg

• Members

I can't really engage in this, because I don't really have a "favorite" or "least favorite" in this regard. But I am surprised to see so many criticizing Jackson as a murderer (and certainly Van Buren deserves some of the blame for that, as well), but no mention of Truman's decision to drop atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, an action which he knew damn well would kill thousands of innocent civilians. :idk:

• Members

Least Favorite Reagan

Favorite: Bush Sr.

Discuss.

:thu:Wow Jisatsu I've got new found respect for you. Bush Sr didn't get a lot credit. Very smart president. Unfortantely apple fell very from tree in regards to his son. He was one of few that understood that you gotta cut spending before you cut taxes. He also believed that trickle down economics was bunch bullsh$t. His handling of Iraq was brilliant. Basically got the Kuwait to pay for most of it.

Favorite Pres: Lincoln

Least: Jackson

• Members

For every president i think is remotely cool, I find {censored} out about him that totally ruins him. I used to think Teddy was cool, but he was an imperialist hawk. I thought Woodrow Wilson was cool, especially his pacifistic views, but his civil liberties revocation blows it for me. Lincoln kind of even gets ruined for me due to his willingness to compromise on slavery. I guess it's still between JFK and Lincoln as favorite, and GWB as least.

• Members

For every president i think is remotely cool, I find {censored} out about him that totally ruins him. I used to think Teddy was cool, but he was an imperialist hawk. I thought Woodrow Wilson was cool, especially his pacifistic views, but his civil liberties revocation blows it for me. Lincoln kind of even gets ruined for me due to his willingness to compromise on slavery. I guess it's still between JFK and Lincoln as favorite, and GWB as least.

I can't remember FDR really doing anything that bad. :poke:

Archived