Do you know how to drive stick shift?

TheKrabsman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I grew up learning on a stick. On a Dodge Aspen wagon 3 speed truck transmission. No power steering either, and of course, no AC. {censored}in thing was a tank, and nearly indestructible, although I tried.

Best stick I owned was in a Jetta GLX w/ the VR6. {censored}er could hit 90mph in 3rd gear. Haven't owned a stick in a while though, the missus has never used one. I would get another, if it shifted well. Nowadays, there aren't that many advantages, gas mileage isn't much better, if at all. Not much quicker, and sometimes even slower, depending on the type of autobox. Still fun though, shifting gears for yourself.

• Members

i'm not sure i i like the idea of an automatic.. what happens if you need to build revs in 1st gear before pulling away?

i hear automatics can be a bit clumsy when changing up in gear too. to use an fx pedal analogy, kind of like how multifx pedals dropout on patch changes. :lol:

• Members

Haha, you Brits make me laugh. Automatics today, are pretty sophisticated, computer controlled devices. Most are 5 speeds (even my Honda minivan), some are 6 speeds now, and there are even a few 7 speeds out there (Lexus). Many are computer controlled to your driving habits, and have a pretty good idea when to shift depending on the situation. Most are so quick now, you can't really outshift them in most mainstream cars. The best to me, are the clutchless designs that are used in Porsche and Ferrari where you shift on the steering wheel, and don't have a clutch to slow you down.

I thought I heard though, that sales of auto cars in the UK has been increasing lately. :confused:

i'm not sure i i like the idea of an automatic.. what happens if you need to build revs in 1st gear before pulling away?

i hear automatics can be a bit clumsy when changing up in gear too. to use an fx pedal analogy, kind of like how multifx pedals dropout on patch changes.
:lol:

• Members

The point is, if I need to drop down to third to overtake, I can do that. In an automatic, no chance.

Plus it makes driving a lot more fun - gassing in the gears = instant chav
:lol:

You've never driven a good automatic then. I guess too, in the US a lot of our engines in cars are still bigger, higher horsepower. Even my Honda van, has a 3.5ltr engine, about 260hp. When I'm going 60mph, and need to pass someone, I can hit 80 or 90 in a heartbeat, the 5 speed auto works great. A van with a manual would seem wrong anyway.

Now my Subaru also has an auto, and is only a 4 speed, with 173hp, I do wish it had one more gear, as highway passing could get a bit slow, but not too much to worry about.

The most fun I had recently was renting a Chevy Impala while on work. It was the SS model (Bobby D missin his) with a 5.3ltr V8 Corvette engine in it. God that was fun. I would cruise at 65mph, hit the gas, and be doing 90 in a second. The roar of the v8 was just a split second away when mashing on the gas pedal. So much fun. And yes, it was an auto.

• Members

The most fun I had recently was renting a Chevy Impala while on work. It was the SS model (Bobby D missin his) with a 5.3ltr V8 Corvette engine in it. God that was fun.

All Corvettes since 1969 have had a 350 cu inch (5.7 liter) engine as standard equipment. The only exceptions were some Vettes shipped to California in the late '70s/early 80's that only had a 305 (5.0 liter) for smog reasons. The 96 Impala SS does have a Vette engine (5.7l) but it's horsepower was reduced to 260 from the Vette's 300.

I got my start on stick with a 1979 Datsun 310.

• Members

A lot of cars here in the Netherlands are stick, some automatics too. I learned driving stick, but the cars I drive in these days are all automatics :p I don't see why it's still so populair? I can see how it's fun, for like the first year or something? But as soon as driving is no longer 'a fun thing', but just a nessesity, driving stick is just a hassle. As long as you drive around the city/crowded places, you need both hands (one on the wheel! :cop:), constantly reaching over, poking that thing...
It's like doin math on an Abacus when you can do it on a calculator. Sure, it's nice to know how when you need it, but why use it in everyday situations?

As everything evolves, gets technically better, I don't see why you would want to drive stick. Maybe it's just me not seeing the fun in it :p Different strokes for different folks, ey :)

Archived