Line 6 M9?

kriista

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looks like one of these would fit perfectly on a Pedaltrain Mini, and still have 10 inches or so so for a few dirt boxes or whatever - is that right?

If so, that's very tempting to go that route, a very streamlined setup. One hangup I can't seem to get over - having never owned Line 6, I have this preconception that their stuff is good, but not great, slightly toylike. But maybe I'm completely wrong about that - I mean, I see some of the people on here talking good things about the M9, are some of the same people that are usually talking about Superdelays and Eventides and other high end stuff. Is it getting hard to justify buying the higher end stuff if the M9 can pretty much hold its own with them? I just got a Superdelay. I love it. But damn, for LESS than the money I paid for it, I could have one of these and have delays plus take care of all of my modulation and reverb needs (and perhaps even a few usable dirt sounds) as well. Plus less space, less cables, less power cords. But everytime I get to thinking that way, I think there must be a catch, the sounds must be a compromise than if I kept my individual pedals. Am I wrong?

• Members

Well I think people who have Superdelays, will still love them, and might find the M9 a step down, I dunno, I dont' have a SD, and my new M9 is sitting for me at home while I'm here at work. But otherwise, I think you're on to something. It can replace many of your less used modulation pedals, and add some stuff you might not have. For me, I decided to sell my Reverberator and my Repeater, both stellar pedals, but the M9 can cover most of the bases, and then add a whole lot I don't have. Less pedals, less cables, quality effects = win. I'll still keep/use many of my analog dirt boxes, but the M9 will just add some additional flavors that I don't have now.

Looks like one of these would fit perfectly on a Pedaltrain Mini, and still have 10 inches or so so for a few dirt boxes or whatever - is that right?

If so, that's very tempting to go that route, a very streamlined setup. One hangup I can't seem to get over - having never owned Line 6, I have this preconception that their stuff is good, but not great, slightly toylike. But maybe I'm completely wrong about that - I mean, I see some of the people on here talking good things about the M9, are some of the same people that are usually talking about Superdelays and Eventides and other high end stuff. Is it getting hard to justify buying the higher end stuff if the M9 can pretty much hold its own with them? I just got a Superdelay. I love it. But damn, for LESS than the money I paid for it, I could have one of these and have delays plus take care of all of my modulation and reverb needs (and perhaps even a few usable dirt sounds) as well. Plus less space, less cables, less power cords. But everytime I get to thinking that way, I think there must be a catch, the sounds must be a compromise than if I kept my individual pedals. Am I wrong?

• Members

Well I think people who have Superdelays, will still love them, and might find the M9 a step down, I dunno, I dont' have a SD, and my new M9 is sitting for me at home while I'm here at work. But otherwise, I think you're on to something. It can replace many of your less used modulation pedals, and add some stuff you might not have. For me, I decided to sell my Reverberator and my Repeater, both stellar pedals, but the M9 can cover most of the bases, and then add a whole lot I don't have. Less pedals, less cables, quality effects = win. I'll still keep/use many of my analog dirt boxes, but the M9 will just add some additional flavors that I don't have now.

Thanks. It's very tempting. It's tough because I sort of walk a fine line between being anal and being not anal at all when it comes to gear. On one hand I don't want anything that sounds overly processed or digitaly or cheesy, but on the other hand I'm not the type that will sit with a pair of headphones and obsess over which of two tape delays has a marginally better tone on the third repeat or anything like that.

• Members

I'll be honest: I could survive on just the M9. And I'm pretty sure that, for the most part, BTBAM could as well. He's already said that he can do most of what his 20+ dual-board setup did with just the M9. And that, my friends, is saying something.

I love my Reverberator and my Superdelay and my Timmy and all that, but if it came down to it -- I could get by on just this one thing too. It takes a lot to say that, because I love my stomp board... but the M9 is a great resource and with a bit more time than it'd take to dial in anything else, you can get this thing sounding pretty darn magical.

Does the OD sound like my Timmy? Not really. Close though.

Does the fuzz sound like my Ernie? Not really. Close-ish though.

Does the delay sound like my Superdelay? No. But it's still pretty darn good.

But I'm fortunate. I can plant the M9 alongside my most beloved stomps and use both. For the $320 I paid for it though, I'm sure that I couldn't assemble a stomp board that would be anywhere even close to something that would rival the M9.

All that said, the M9 is what most multi-fx rigs are: a monster group of things that sound pretty good for a great price, comparatively. Will it sound as good as a $2000 stomp board? It's subjective, of course, but probably not. I still like it though.

• Members

Now that I have one, I have to agree, I could probably live on just this pedal if I had to. Glad I don't, but it wouldn't be hard at all. I still haven't nearly dialed in most of the effects, just scratching the surface, but it's easy, and fun. If you don't have many pedals, or just getting into this hobby, I would start right here. I wonder how much money I've spent swapping/trading pedals when I could have purchased this.

I'm glad I have my analog dirt, and my Vibe and Vibrato are better with my stand alone pedals than the M9, but otherwise, this is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

I'll be honest: I could survive on just the M9. And I'm pretty sure that, for the most part, BTBAM could as well. He's already said that he can do
most
of what his 20+ dual-board setup did with just the M9. And that, my friends, is saying something.

I love my Reverberator and my Superdelay and my Timmy and all that, but if it came down to it -- I could get by on just this one thing too. It takes a lot to say that, because I love my stomp board... but the M9 is a great resource and with a bit more time than it'd take to dial in anything else, you can get this thing sounding pretty darn magical.

Does the OD sound like my Timmy? Not really. Close though.

Does the fuzz sound like my Ernie? Not really. Close-ish though.

Does the delay sound like my Superdelay? No. But it's still pretty darn good.

But I'm fortunate. I can plant the M9 alongside my most beloved stomps and use both. For the $320 I paid for it though, I'm sure that I couldn't assemble a stomp board that would be anywhere even close to something that would rival the M9.

All that said, the M9 is what most multi-fx rigs are: a monster group of things that sound pretty good for a great price, comparatively. Will it sound as good as a $2000 stomp board? It's subjective, of course, but probably not. I still like it though.

• Members

So I can lay down a particle verby/frequency anal izer pad, and throw down some fat cleen+delays over top?

Nice!

Is this just a matter of making sure the looper is "post fx" in setup?

the looper is "post fx" in setup by default.

which is why, if nothing else, the M9 is a DL4 killer.

• Members

WARNING: Possible Negative M9 Comments

Not for the faint of heart...

Overall I love this thing, but one thing that I'm having a hard time getting used to is how the knobs work. Pedals like the Timefactor (which the M9 is replacing), the Magicstomp, and others have "catch up" knobs. For example, if you twiddled with a preset on effect A and left the knob at maximum and then switch to a preset for effect B where the parameter is at minimum, you have to turn the knob to minimum to "catch up" to the parameter setting to change the value.

On the M9, if you left the knob at maximum on effect A and change to a preset of effect B where the parameter is at minimum, the parameter starts changing as soon as you start tweaking. So, for example, your preset is 90ms of delay time but the knob is at max (2 secs) so when you start turning the knob it swings all the way to 2 secs and then adjusts according to how you turn it.

Right now I prefer the "catch up" knobs of the Timefactor. Does anyone else have this "problem"?

• Members

WARNING: Possible Negative M9 Comments

Not for the faint of heart...

Overall I love this thing, but one thing that I'm having a hard time getting used to is how the knobs work. Pedals like the Timefactor (which the M9 is replacing), the Magicstomp, and others have "catch up" knobs. For example, if you twiddled with a preset on effect A and left the knob at maximum and then switch to a preset for effect B where the parameter is at minimum, you have to turn the knob to minimum to "catch up" to the parameter setting to change the value.

On the M9, if you left the knob at maximum on effect A and change to a preset of effect B where the parameter is at minimum, the parameter starts changing as soon as you start tweaking. So, for example, your preset is 90ms of delay time but the knob is at max (2 secs) so when you start turning the knob it swings all the way to 2 secs and then adjusts according to how you turn it.

Right now I prefer the "catch up" knobs of the Timefactor. Does anyone else have this "problem"?

I think you can change this - try the 'relative' pot mode in the settings. Not quite the same as the magicstomp style, but I think it's actually better. When you turn the knob there's no sudden jump in settings.

• Members
I think you can change this - try the 'relative' pot mode in the settings. Not quite the same as the magicstomp style, but I think it's actually better. When you turn the knob there's no sudden jump in settings.

Yeah - gotta' update to the new firmware for this, but its MUCH better than the stock setting. :thu:

Archived