I now "get" the DS-1.

C Fuzz

• Members

This is my 3rd one and I am now in love. Total stock, no mods. Just good tone. Not using any Fuzz at the moment. Just a TU-2 and a DS-1. It's really helping me play better, I geuss from the tight attack opossed to the flabby muffs.

That is all.

DS-1 4 eva!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

never understood the negativity towards it, it's a cheap distortion and i think it does it's thing quite well, it's most likely because when people had one they were just starting out and playing it distortion to the max through a {censored} amp, {censored} guitar and playing {censored} Green Day covers

• Members

never understood the negativity towards it, it's a cheap distortion and i think it does it's thing quite well, it's most likely because when people had one they were just starting out and playing it distortion to the max through a {censored} amp, {censored} guitar and playing {censored} Green Day covers

While the {censored} guitar playing and Green Day part are true...I recall getting some wicked awesome sounds with my DS-1 and my cheap SS Fender practice amp. Not something I would ever want to use on a regular basis, but it was thick and nasty and awesome.

• Members

Actually I'd say set the tone between 11:00 and 12:30, it's way too sensitive. The one I messed with didn't seem very gainy, but was pretty good, and the hardness of the sound made it surprisingly dynamic when stacked into another dirt. Plus it's used on some favorite musics and some recordings that could hardly be improved upon.

• Members

I've always been a defender of the DS-1, people don't want to admit they sound good because it's A) a Boss pedal and B) $40 ($30 right now from MF). Then, as a cop out, they'll say "ohh but the MIJ one is so much better". I've a/b'd them both together and they sounded identical.

It's not the be all end all of distortion pedals by any means, but they do sound pretty damn good.

• Members

I've always been a defender of the DS-1, people don't want to admit they sound good because it's A) a Boss pedal and B) $40 ($30 right now from MF). Then, as a cop out, they'll say "ohh but the MIJ one is so much better". I've a/b'd them both together and they sounded identical.

It's not the be all end all of distortion pedals by any means, but they do sound pretty damn good.

I would agree that they sound very close, "identical" I don't agree with.

if you compare the circuit from a mij, they are different. the mij sounds more open, and a little warmer. it's a slight difference but it's there.

I own a Monte Allums DS-1, Keeley SEM/Ultra, stock Taiwan, and four mij's. I like them all, but the long dash silver screw mij is the {censored}.

Archived