I now "get" the DS-1.

C Fuzz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another reason is I feel I don't need a backup. I know other companies are very reliable but isn't there a saying that goes.. the only 2 things to survive a nuclear blast would be cockroaches and Boss pedals. I believe that.

• Members

Another reason is I feel I don't need a backup. I know other companies are very reliable but isn't there a saying that goes.. the only 2 things to survive a nuclear blast would be cockroaches and Boss pedals. I believe that.

Yes. :thu:

I have three Boss pedals. Of them, my original Japanese DD-3 is by far the most prized. It had a knock that snapped one of the knobs clean off at the shaft somewhere down the line. Still works fine. :thu:

• Members

Just played with tone @ 10 o'clock and distortion @ 2 o'clock into a clean tube amp and it was amazing. I'm pretty much always leaving the tone there but it doesn't seem to matter where the distortion knob is.. it sounds great and works perfect for something.

• Members

I dunno. I really want to like the DS-1. After all, what can be better than a sub-$50 distortion with any level of quality?

Unfortunately, I've never found one that didn't sound cheap to me. Brittle and transistor-y at all settings; nothing full and lush like a cranked amp. Sure, you can get a decent sound out of it into a cranked tube amp, but everything sounds acceptable through a good amp (even my old DOD Supra Distortion). It's not exactly a testament to a good pedal.

I've gone through a half dozen mods, MIJ, stock... my conclusion is just that the DS-1 will always give you a cheap sound. If you like it, cudos, but I just can't justify dropping any amount of money on one. FWIW, I don't think Boss does any dirt pedal right- they all just sound like putting a SS amp in front of your tube amp.

• Members

I don't think Boss does any dirt pedal right- they all just sound like putting a SS amp in front of your tube amp.

SD1, OD3, BD2 among others, they make lots of great pedals, if they sound like a SS amp then try turning the gain down and the volume up on the pedal

Archived