cranked fender tone appreciation thread

RoboPimp

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

how the hell is that a twin reverb?

Man I don't think my twin reverb sounds like that at all up loud, my princeton is closer but the cab could never support that kind of bass.

I am gonna go turn my twin on 10 with some humbuckers. I think mine is almost completely clean.

Rev doesn't use a Twin, he uses Silverface Super Reverbs. Completely different amps.

I love cranked Fender tones...but there are so many! I mean, a cranked tweed Deluxe does not equal a cranked Twin does not equa a Cranked Super Reverb, does not equa a cranked Bassman....but they all equal tonal bliss in one form or another.

• Members

Marc Ribot uses a DRRI cranked to the max.

One of my favourite tones! Although Ribot wasn't on the last tour, have you heard the guitar on Waits' latest live album? Byooootiful. They're giving away a few sample tracks free.

Plus, a Les Paul into an old Fender amp cranked up is bliss to me.

• Members
One of my favourite tones! Although Ribot wasn't on the last tour, have you heard the guitar on Waits' latest live album? Byooootiful. They're giving away a few sample tracks free.

Plus, a Les Paul into an old Fender amp cranked up is bliss to me.

Yeah, I have the Atlanta, Georgia bootleg in full from the Glitter & Doom tour.
I'll still buy the live album.

And yes, the tone on Waits' albums always kicks ass. Cranked Fender + tremolo + Deluxe Memory Man = win.
My faves are the tones on "Goin' Out West" and the "Let It Rain" solo. Always makes me want a DRRI :(

• Members
I have a 66 Bassman on it's way to me.
:love:

It will be modded to have a Tweed/JTM45 circuit on the Bass side.

I'll report back with my findings!

Please do! I've been eying a couple of old bassmans that have been modded this way; sounds very interesting.

• Members

Please do! I've been eying a couple of old bassmans that have been modded this way; sounds very interesting.

Oh, I will. Yeah, I had a 66 Bassman years ago, and sold it. It was great but just not quite THERE. Well, if I had done 5 mins of research I'd have discovered that the Blackface Bassmen are FULL of potential.

Pre-CBS BMen shouldn't be modded because they're rare, and are PROPERLY designed. The CBS models, featuring the AA165 or AB165 circuits, are wonky, and plentiful, and need a mod to really sound their best.

So, the Normal Channel gets a few tweaks to be the quintessential BF circuit, and there's an extra unused gain stage that, post-mod, gets used in the Bass channel, which becomes a hot-rodded Tweed/JTM45 circuit.

BF Bman also are great candidates for a KILLER master volume.

So, for ~$600, you can have a hand-built in the USA amp, with some nice, fat transformers, that has TWO channels, one being the ideal Fender clean, the other, one of the most lauded rawk channels.

It's a no brainer.

• Members

Oh, I will. Yeah, I had a 66 Bassman years ago, and sold it. It was great but just not quite THERE. Well, if I had done 5 mins of research I'd have discovered that the Blackface Bassmen are FULL of potential.

Pre-CBS BMen shouldn't be modded because they're rare, and are PROPERLY designed. The CBS models, featuring the AA165 or AB165 circuits, are wonky, and plentiful, and need a mod to really sound their best.

So, the Normal Channel gets a few tweaks to be the quintessential BF circuit, and there's an extra unused gain stage that, post-mod, gets used in the Bass channel, which becomes a hot-rodded Tweed/JTM45 circuit.

BF Bman also are great candidates for a KILLER master volume.

So, for ~$600, you can have a hand-built in the USA amp, with some nice, fat transformers, that has TWO channels, one being the ideal Fender clean, the other, one of the most lauded rawk channels.

It's a no brainer.

Links to said mods? I'm curious. I've got a 1972 Bassman 50 that was Blackfaced. You said there's a way to get the Bass input to be more of a dirt channel. How do i go about this?

• Members

Links to said mods? I'm curious. I've got a 1972 Bassman 50 that was Blackfaced. You said there's a way to get the Bass input to be more of a dirt channel. How do i go about this?

Ask and ye shall receive:

BASSMANHYPERON-1.gif

Now, the topology changed getting into the Silverfaces... as far as I know, the Bman50 is a totally different amp, so the parts/layout you need might not be IN your amp. But any skilled tech can follow a schem and figure something out.

• Members
Ask and ye shall receive:

BASSMANHYPERON-1.gif

Now, the topology changed getting into the Silverfaces... as far as I know, the Bman50 is a totally different amp, so the parts/layout you need might not be IN your amp. But any skilled tech can follow a schem and figure something out.

:thu:

Time to tear the amp apart. See you guys in a few days!

• Members

:thu:

Time to tear the amp apart. See you guys in a few days!

Nice!

Yeah, apparently this schem is totally verified.

Normal is a true AA864/AB763 circuit, and the Bass is a Tweed Bman/JTM45.

Install a Ken Fischer style post-phase inverter master volume, and you're SET!

Archived