May Machines: New gear thread

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

oh, yea, I forgot- I did get a synth this month:

Novation XioSynth 25

XioSynth_small.jpg

Very cool little guy, although I have to say - even though this has more features, sound-wise I preferred my old K-Station.

This synth does have a very cool gator effect, and basic digital waveforms -reminiscent of the Korg DW synths or DS samplers

It's perfect as "travel synth" as well, very light and compact, and with an audio interface is useful for recording on the field as well.

Inexplicably, NO MIDI IN -

---

• Members
Not a synth this month but I just bough this kit from Radio Shack. Inspired by our incomparable Don Solaris on another forum, I decided I want to learn more about dyi electronics.. start easy, and maybe build a Paia kit, and later on, a famous compressor clone called GSSL that Don introduced me too.

So here's what I got, besides a book on starting electronics:

Radio Shack "Electronics Learning Lab - A complete course in electronics" (part # 28-280)

This is Radio Shack's best kit, and has lots of features: 200+ projects, a "breadboard" to learn to build circuits, and a built (very cool, I have to say
:)
) analog meter, and three boxes full of resistors, capacitors, diodes, wires, ICs, transistors

and finally, two books to learn from

I'm sure it will take a while to learn even the basics, but hey, maybe one day I'll build my own synthesizer.. you never know
;)

---

Awesome! Wow, those things have changed a lot since I had one. I had the 150 Experiments one that came in a wood box and it even had an (*gasp*) IC on it! oooooOOOOOoooooo!! :D

A whole new world will open to you if you stick with that, Paolo!

• Members
Not a synth this month but I just bough this kit from Radio Shack. Inspired by our incomparable Don Solaris on another forum, I decided I want to learn more about dyi electronics.. start easy, and maybe build a Paia kit, and later on, a famous compressor clone called ****that Don introduced me too.

**** kicks ass! Just don't tell it to anyone. We don't want anyone to get that sound. ;)

:wave:

pRS1C-2265244w345.jpg

Damnit, I always wanted one of these. Paolo, as a start project, you could build a passive feedback tool (for some crazy ever-evolving reverbs). Here is a schematic. Here is the actual unit i've built. It is designed for 2 stereo effects. Your homework is to convert that into unit for 1 mono effect.

:wave:

• Members

So here's what I got, besides a book on starting electronics:

Radio Shack "Electronics Learning Lab - A complete course in electronics" (part # 28-280)..

---

That looks like fun. I really think I need to try something like that. I've tried wading through a few books on my own, but it doesn't seem to sink in right without the hands-on stuff.

BTW - I did a quick search on that kit and found a few videos of it - one or two on the oscillator thing too.

It sounds like the projects build on one another, so it might not be the best idea to jump ahead too far.

Have fun.

• Members

I am NOT disappointed!
:love:

The VA, FM, and PM alone are worth the price of admission. :thu:

Plus you get a nice keyboard, a sampler, sample playback synth engine, fx unit, sequencer, and hard disc recorder.

But of course, you know all that. ;)

• Members
Gotta figure out how to get one into my setup without the wife knowing about it...
;)

That's not hard, if you have enough other rackgear. I mean, it's black, doesn't have a backlight, and it's not big.

• Members
$300 w/ Vintage? Awwwwww man... nice!

Thanks!
It was 399 but the store is closing so they marked it down to 280.
They have a D-550 that is still marked at 259, the price before their announcement. I'll keep checking on that, if it gets down to 170 or less, I might have to swing for it :)
They had other nice stuff - a cheap DX7, JV2080, Virus, Fantom X8, Yammie S80, Rhodes Mk I, even a Korg Delta, all cheap, all gone (well I'm not totally sure the Rhodes is gone).

• Members

IMG_0237.jpg

Just got it a week ago. My friend bought it for our band to program patches for our three MicroKorgs that we use... but now two of the MicroKorgs are going haywire. What luck... so we're trying to sell it but I wanna keep it so badly. If only it were a little smaller.

• Members

That's not hard, if you have enough other rackgear. I mean, it's black, doesn't have a backlight, and it's not big.

Therein lies the problem... I only have 2 pieces of rack gear, with a mixer on top, and no actual rack either. She would notice, unless I removed something from the stack (which would make it incomplete once again). Heck, she would probably notice anyway. She'll think the buttons look different...

I wonder if MKS-80 guts will fit inside a D-550 case. ;)

80stack.jpg

I think I need a rack cabinet with a door. ;)

Hmmm... I should have gotten it before we left on our cruise 3 weeks ago. Slip it into the stack right before heading out. When we return, if she notices and asks about it, I would just say "Honey, I've had that there all along, you don't remember?" ;)

• Members

with me being in grad school and working full time, i end up buying an item or two from ebay, leaving it in the closet for 6 months only to rediscover it. my wife will say "where that'd come from?" and honestly I cant even remember when i bought it, so i have to say "i found it while I was cleaning out the closet".

Archived