May Machines: New gear thread

• Members

So I've discovered. I almost placed a bid on a K5000S rack this morning but then thought, no, I need to at least get delivery of the things I've bought before I go spending more money.
:D

I took a break from KSS for a couple weeks while I got stuff ready to move to DC. The first day back on I went to Guitar Center and picked me up an R3.

KSS facilitates GAS.

P.S. Nobody's seen my studio yet. Humble, as it is, I finally have pics. But my computer broke. Still no akliner studio pics available.

:cry:

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

P.S. Nobody's seen my studio yet. Humble, as it is, I finally have pics. But my computer broke. Still no akliner studio pics available.

EPIC FAIL. Security! Remove this man from the premises until he can produce photographic proof of this "studio"!

• Members

KSS facilitates GAS.

I'm becoming acutely aware of this. I naively thought the SH-201 would be my GAS-X, but after watching demo videos I'm developing symptoms toward the DSI MEK. I'm also tracking Juno-106's on ebay. Ouch. Too bad there's no disability check for GAS.

Congrats on the R3. That was my 2nd choice after the SH-201. I think I needed the Synth 101 panel layout of the Roland.

Sorry to hear about your computer; hope your back up and running soon.

• Members

I'm becoming acutely aware of this. I naively thought the SH-201 would be my GAS-X, but after watching demo videos I'm developing symptoms toward the DSI MEK. I'm also tracking Juno-106's on ebay. Ouch. Too bad there's no disability check for GAS.

Congrats on the R3. That was my 2nd choice after the SH-201. I think I needed the Synth 101 panel layout of the Roland.

Sorry to hear about your computer; hope your back up and running soon.

Actually, my broken computer than got stolen. HAHA. That's OK. I'm getting a new MacBook Pro soon.

I chose the R3 mostly for an affordable vocoder. I'm more of a Piano/EP/Clav/Organ kind of guy than a synthesist...

• Members

Every time it falls on the laptop, she shuts down!

...but... a ukelele has nothing to do with a computer.

Dad can we check sites? no. no sites available.

:thu: looking forward to the studio pics, ak. Casa Akliner must be a magical place indeed.

• Members

It is not nearly as uber as D's new camera, but I am not a pro photographer and wanted something to replace my old Canon Powershot G2 (a nice point-and-shoot with a flash shoe). My wife and kids all have large eyes that tend to reflect light a lot. Red-eye reduction preflash schemes do not work, so I got the Powershot and a TTL flash a long time ago. I decided to go with a consumer grade DLSR camera this time and got the EOS Rebel XTi.

allroundview-001.jpg

Wife has complained I am not taking enough pics of the kids so she was all cool with a new camera. I used it for the first time just a few days ago at my second kids 3 year old birthday. So far I am pretty darned happy and wife is ecstatic about the pics.

• Members

Every time it falls on the laptop, she shuts down!

...but... a ukelele has nothing to do with a computer.

Dad can we check sites? no. no sites available.

:thu:
looking forward to the studio pics, ak. Casa Akliner must be a magical place indeed.

The uke fell of the shelf, nails the laptop, and now I can't check my sites!

I can't wait for Season 3. Also, I'm going to borrow my roommate's laptop and get the pictures onto it thus facilitating gear picture posting.

• Members

E4XT is a great box - good pickup
:)

Yeah - I was lucky. I did a search with google, and this store in Utah, that specializes in e-mu stuff came up. They had one for sale. They also have an ebay store, and they've sold lots of stuff and have great feedback....so it seemed like a good bet. And then the guy agreed to hold it until the 15th with no down payment...so I couldn't resist.

I'm going to have to find a reasonably priced pci express scsi card - I'll probably post here about it. I'd be concerned about just buying one at random and having it not work properly...scsi can be a bit fussy, if I recall correctly.

But I'm excited about nailing this sampler. I thought about trying to grab a k2600r again, but the prices for those are beyond what I can do right now. My recollection of the emu's are that they have perhaps an easier user interface, and are very powerful in their own right, while sounding great. I just never enjoyed working with Kontakt and other software samplers, and also wanted a machine which not only played back samples, but allowed me to sample from my modular quickly and efficiently.

• Members

Nothing terribly exciting this month. Picked up a Doepfer Quad ADSR, a bunch of parts from Mouser for my Dual Mankato Filter, a blank panel for the same, etc.

I did finally manage to put together my Zorlon Cannon, so now I've got beautiful Atari-style pitched noise, random pulses, and random gate sequences. :)

Just need my damned AFG module.

Oh, and I ordered a couple of racks for my Euro modules. I've got them in a temporary DIY enclosure (that I've actually grown quite fond of,) but they'll be a bit safer in the racks.

• Members

In the process of moving, so I have a temporary studio, but I was able to grab a virus TI for a good price, even after the increase :-) thanks to Rogue

It's a killer machine!

DSCN2415.jpg

cheers

ripe

• Members

Was there any reason in particular to pick up the Fantom, Wizard? I thought the Motif and Fantom were kinda the same thing...?

I think they are kinda the same thing. :)

I anticipate mainly using the Fantom and Motif racks for gigging in the classic rock band I play in. I want a simple, lightweight setup - two romplers in a rack with two MIDI keyboard controllers. I like the idea of having two separate synths available (in case one fritzes out in the middle of a show).

I love many of the Motif sounds, but I've been playing the Motif for nearly seven years and welcome having something similar, yet different, in the mix.

I also have a Motif 6 and a JV-1080 with three expansion cards, but I'd like for these to reside permanently in my little studio. Between practice and gigs, I am trundling my gear around 2-3 times per week, and I hate having to constantly tear down and set up my synthesizers at home. So the idea is to have a separate, very portable setup to haul around with a minimal amount of effort.

Eventually, I'd love to get rid of the hardware synths altogether and just gig with a Macbook and some softsynths. Some day....

Archived