What tool do you use to widen nut slots for larger strings?

hangwire

• Members

Just a quick question... when you increase string size [ or in my case when you want to put high tension nylon strings on an acoustic that thsi will work with ] what tool or method do you use to do so with good results?

My wife has some jewlry files that I thought would work great, but in use, not so much. They tended to be deeper than wide and overall felt like a poor job.

I used to do the very slow process of using a old low E string and "grinding" the width away to fit.

so what do other people use?

• Members

Whatever you use make sure you file the notches in a "V" rather than a square type notch. A "V" allows the string to make a firm connection to the nut with no chance of side to side movement.

They do make special files for that but I use a set of differently shaped files I bought at Home Depot.

• Members

pufblanco2.gif

Stop stealing my pillow!!! :mad:

I've successfully increased the slots of my nuts with a welding torch tip cleaner.

4g5dvq.jpg

They're pretty cheap and you can find them in hardware stores.

The only problem is that the smaller gauge files are a little too flexible (you just have to constantly be aware of it, and keep it straight), and you need to remove the files from the folding case otherwise it's a {censored}ing pita to use them.

• Members

Stop stealing my pillow!!!
:mad:

The only problem is that the smaller gauge files are a little too flexible (you just have to constantly be aware of it, and
keep it straight)
, and you need to remove the files from the folding case otherwise it's a {censored}ing pita to use them.

:thu:

• Members

Stop stealing my pillow!!!
:mad:

I've successfully increased the slots of my nuts with a welding torch tip cleaner.

4g5dvq.jpg

They're pretty cheap and you can find them in hardware stores.

The only problem is that the smaller gauge files are a little too flexible (you just have to constantly be aware of it, and keep it straight), and you need to remove the files from the folding case otherwise it's a {censored}ing pita to use them.

This.

And DO NOT file a V shape, as it will cause the string to wedge and stick. A flat bottom shape is better, but a rounded bottom is the only correct shape.

• Members

This.

And DO NOT file a V shape, as it will cause the string to wedge and stick. A flat bottom shape is better, but a rounded bottom is the only correct shape.

Poppycok!!!! Strings are round... it only makes sense they'd be more comfortable in a triangular environment!!! :facepalm:

Archived