What tool do you use to widen nut slots for larger strings?

hangwire

• Members

Poppycok!!!! Strings are round... it only makes sense they'd be more comfortable in a triangular environment!!!
:facepalm:

I've never had issue with a "V" shaped nut slot. The only issues I've ever had to fix were from a square slot cut too wide. Mr. Quan (of Badass Bridge fame) always specs a "V" slot on his bridges as it keeps the string from moving from side to side. Tell me how you get a rounded-bottom slot the width of a 9 gauge E string. :idk:

EDIT: I stand corrected, apparently StewMac has files that go all the way down ( $13 a piece though, ouch!). My bad, I've never seen any that small. Carry on.

• Members

This.

And DO NOT file a V shape, as it will cause the string to wedge and stick. A flat bottom shape is better, but a rounded bottom is the only correct shape.

yes,

but be careful you don't make the slot too deep or you'll be in right trouble... all you want is a round file the exact width you need the slots (which will be a fraction over the size of the string)

• Members

I've never had issue with a "V" shaped nut slot. The only issues I've ever had to fix were from a square slot cut too wide. Mr. Quan (of Badass Bridge fame) always specs a "V" slot on his bridges as it keeps the string from moving from side to side. Tell me how you get a rounded-bottom slot the width of a 9 gauge E string.
:idk:

EDIT: I stand corrected, apparently StewMac has files that go all the way down ( $13 a piece though, ouch!). My bad, I've never seen any that small. Carry on.

You're right about the bridge, but that's because it's a bridge and not a nut, and also a bass and not a guitar.

To get a file small enough you can use those welder tip cleaning files that are a couple of $ a set.

• Members

you guys are crazy.

unless your nut was intended for 8s and your stepping up to 13s a piece of fine grain sandpaper folded in half works great.

sounds crazy, huh? i did it this weekend on a couple nut slots that were binding and it worked perfectly.
:)

Your methods are unsound.....

• Members

I use stew mac nut files now, but I used to have about 10 popsicle with different size strings glued to the side. I think thats going to be best practically free files. You should also download Dan erlewine's book on guitar setups if you want to know how to correctly do it. Make sure to angle your file down toward the headstock and make it the same shape as the string but a little wider so it doesn't pinch the string. Also I file the top of the nut down so only half of the string is in the slot so it dosen't get muffled.

• Members

you guys are crazy.

unless your nut was intended for 8s and your stepping up to 13s a piece of fine grain sandpaper folded in half works great.

sounds crazy, huh? i did it this weekend on a couple nut slots that were binding and it worked perfectly.

That's a very inaccurate and rudimentary way of doing it... it will work, and if you're very careful and precise, will achieve what you want.

I found those torch tip cleaners work fantastically though.

• Members

That's a very inaccurate and rudimentary way of doing it... it will work, and if you're very careful and precise, will achieve what you want.

I found those torch tip cleaners work fantastically though.

when youre filing a nut theres no other way than being very careful and precise to do it. you file (sand) a little bit, lay the string in the slot, and repeat until it fits properly.

sure, theres a more involved method but unless youre filing nuts all the time for a living its totally unnecessary.:)

• Members

when youre filing a nut theres no other way than being very careful and precise to do it. you file (sand) a little bit, lay the string in the slot, and repeat until it fits properly.

sure, theres a more involved method but unless youre filing nuts all the time for a living its totally unnecessary.

Totally!

The thing I really like about the torch cleaners is that they're like strings with abrasives built in... which makes for very accurate filing.

In the end, the trip doesn't matter if you still get there.

Archived