New WMD pedals

The Eristic

• Moderators

Not on the WMD site, stumbled across them at a couple eBay stores a few minutes ago. Have these been seen/discussed yet?

Arcane Preamp: http://www.fattoneguitars.com/WMD_Devices_Arcane_Preamp_Booster_Fuzz_Pedal_p/wmd03.htm

Geiger Counter Civilian Issue: http://www.fattoneguitars.com/WMD_Geiger_Counter_Civilian_Issue_Distortion_Ped_p/wmd04.htm

• Members

Yeah, I can see it doing well. Doesn't really have much competition in the price range other than the Red Panda, which is a bit different and doesn't do the Dist/Fuzz/Wavetable stuff.

At first glance, I would guess that the Red Panda bitcrusher can do more than the scaled-down version of the WMD ... but I haven't actually tried the new WMD unit, so it is difficult to tell. Either way, it seems like you are loosing more than $100 worth of functionality with the civilian issue WMD.

• Members

At first glance, I would guess that the Red Panda bitcrusher can do more than the scaled-down version of the WMD ... but I haven't actually tried the new WMD unit, so it is difficult to tell. Either way, it seems like you are loosing more than $100 worth of functionality with the civilian issue WMD.

Yeah, it seems like it should maybe cost half as much as the original version.

• Members

Just opening this thread I felt the redass creeping up (yeah, yeah... go see a Dr.), having JUST bought a GC. Sure enough it started glowing like a gibbon's when I saw the civy version. But looking at what it is, I'm a lot calmer. The enclosure blows. Orig recipe is a tad chunky but vert inputs give it a footprint close to a Small clone. this thing either takes up an ass-ton of horizontal room or you have to use some long patch cables running it North/South

The second strike is the lack of toggles. manual control of tone/gain isn't bad and I can live without that toggle but the bit mask toggle's absence is one more neutering effect. This strike is not very significant, but it's worth mentioning for comparative purposes

The Kiss of death: NO CV input. Without an expression pedal/LFO, this thing is like a EHX HOG with a broken expression pedal jack. 75% of its awesomeness is inaccessable. I would say the civy's saving grace is the presets feature, which the orig sorely needs, but this is no saving grace. Despite the serious upgrade of presets, this thing is not worth buying without CV input capability... not once you have looked down from the mountain.

The way to have properly pissed me off was to make the orig recipe with presets, and to twist the knife in, made it $100 cheaper. I feel much better about my purchase.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I can't believe it doesn't have sample rate and bit depth controls...

I think it would've been amazing with just having the gain/tone, rate/depth, and calling it a day. Hell, ditching the wavetable/display/scrolling probably could of made it cheaper.

Oh woe is me on the Empty Quiver that never was...

Archived