I am a lot less depressed now that I don't have cable TV

mikeoxlong

• Members

oh right.... yeah, if I was to buy a new TV it would be the same here, I don't think we are so quick to replace stuff here generally... unless my TV stops working I'm not gonna buy anything else. Most of the BBC's broadcasts aren't in HD yet anyway mate, I can't see that happening until a lot more people have it here, because of the way it's funded (by us!) people don't like paying for something they can't use and the BBC are well aware of that.

That's the cool thing about BBC. No commercials and people can say {censored} on tv. First time I watched Apprentice UK, I was actually surprised to see that it ran for the full 60 mins and the contestants swore.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
oh right.... yeah, if I was to buy a new TV it would be the same here, I don't think we are so quick to replace stuff here generally... unless my TV stops working I'm not gonna buy anything else.

That describes me as well. I'm still using an old Fisher television from the 80s that a friend gave to me 10 years ago to watch my VhS tapes and DVDs. :lol:

• Members
That describes me as well. I'm still using an old Fisher television from the 80s that a friend gave to me 10 years ago to watch my VhS tapes and DVDs.
:lol:

haha... how's the DVD connected did they have scart back then?

• Members

I need to move to England. I like the rain, hate commercials. And the accent amuses me.

And I find an Irish accent on a chick incredibly attractive, and Ireland is a stones throw away.

The thing you have there though is space, as a nation we are very crushed in. our houses are small and have no space around them, our roads are full with cars (parked and driving) if there's some space somewhere they will be build houses on it. Our pavements are narrow... it's seriously over populated. If I lived in a city I would go crazy. When I see the US on TV that's always the thing that strikes me... how much space you have, both personal and public.

• Members

The thing you have there though is space, as a nation we are very crushed in. our houses are small and have no space around them, our roads are full with cars (parked and driving) if there's some space somewhere they will be build houses on it. Our pavements are narrow... it's seriously over populated. If I lived in a city I would go crazy. When I see the US on TV that's always the thing that strikes me... how much space you have, both personal and public.

I like cities. :idk:

I want to live in a city later in life. Land is cool, maybe i'll want a house with a big yard and {censored} when I have kids. But I don't need a hell of a lot of space to live. The only thing that doesn't appeal to me is not being able to play guitar loud. I'm not a huge fan of that in my apartment now, but whatever. Not that bad.

• Members

We dropped cable about 2 years ago. Rabbit ears now and we don't get NBC... I don't miss it. Anything we like we watch on the internet... The kids do but we have more family time and do other things. It was just draining our lives away.

you took Nickelodeon away from the children? you evil bastard.

meh, probably for the best. That channel went to {censored}.

• Members

Discovery, Daily Show, Mad Men. That's the entire contents of my TV diet. Mostly I just watch DVDs from the library. I find cable news depressing on many levels, so the only way I see it is filtered through the Daily Show. Admittedly, isn't a great way to see things, but having Jon Stewart say the things your thinking, but funnier, somehow makes it all go down easier. I also listen to NPR on my way to school, which is enough for my cynical ass to feel up to date on whatever people are talking about.

However, I've got my little sister in the house and she watches that awful Disney Channel {censored} non stop. All the shows are about superficial, douche bag teenagers who get their kicks laughing at people who are odd or different. It seems the goal is to pretty much strip any form of imagination from kids, so their transition to MTV is that much easier. After observing this I resolved that if I ever have kids, they'll never watch cable TV. DVDs are fine, but no TV. So, I'm curious to the parents out there who have tried this, how well does that work exactly?

its all nancy grace's fault.

She's a terrible person.

• Members

I used to watch here and there in the livingroom if a roomate had it, but I've had my own place the last few years and don't watch movies, so no tube of any kind here. I can enjoy an episode of south park or something, but don't miss anything without it, especially the 50/50 content/commercial ratio. I won't even start on the news or primetime television.

"big screen, little screen, any screen will do
just let me hold the controller and i wont have to murder you"

(i definitely battled for various controllers when I was a kid :lol:)

• Members

no i heard about that, but i mean... pretty much every bit of news is bad news and is about stuff that is completely out of my control so it's nice not to have to hear about it.

i so {censored}ing feel you

[YOUTUBE]nftY197p8Uw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I use antenna w/ the gov't DTV box and a big handmedown CRT. Very good w/ just rabbit ears here in the city. Also tapes nicely with the crusty old VCR; I try to have something spare to watch on tape because there are some big holes in the schedule. Mostly latenight lobotomy stuff.

• Members

I need to move to England. I like the rain,
hate commercials
. And the accent amuses me.

And I find an Irish accent on a chick incredibly attractive, and Ireland is a stones throw away.

We get a lot of American shows over here and you can see where the breaks are for the commercials. Seriously, even when an American program is on one of our commercial channels with add breaks you can tell there would be at least twice as many breaks in America ... i don't know how on earth you concentrate on anything, your programs are all chopped up. It would drive me mad.

• Members

you took Nickelodeon away from the children? you evil bastard.

meh, probably for the best. That channel went to {censored}.

Yeah I only actually miss Noggin for the kids, but we have lots of DVDs. Also my oldest is in 2nd grade and had straight A's and is reading at almost a 6th grade level. We don't push her, it's just amazing what kids can do when they aren't zoning out in front of a TV.

Archived