I am a lot less depressed now that I don't have cable TV

mikeoxlong

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We get a lot of American shows over here and you can see where the breaks are for the commercials. Seriously, even when an American program is on one of our commercial channels with add breaks you can tell there would be at least twice as many breaks in America ... i don't know how on earth you concentrate on anything, your programs are all chopped up. It would drive me mad.

The reality is worse than you can imagine. Try almost every commercial break having one of the same obnoxious ads until it's drilled into your brain despite your best efforts. I don't know why we have to do this to ourselves -- wouldn't less frequent ads, too short to run off and do something else, be more effective? A lot of the time they don't seem to even find the advertisers to fill all the space.

• Members

The reality is worse than you can imagine. Try almost every commercial break having one of the same obnoxious ads until it's drilled into your brain despite your best efforts. I don't know why we have to do this to ourselves -- wouldn't less frequent ads, too short to run off and do something else, be more effective? A lot of the time they don't seem to even find the advertisers to fill all the space.

I find our commercial channels drive me mad sometimes, it's the same problem just less frequent i suppose.

I'm glad we have the BBC. BBC were our first radio station (in the 1920s i think) and started as a service you paid for, so no need for commercials, they were our first tv station in the 30s too. If it wasn't for the Beeb our tv would be total horse{censored}.

• Members

I've always liked to be well informed about the news, politics, current events, etc. but I've gotten so burned out on the constant stream of scandals, sensationalism, and especially the constant bickering of Democrats and Republicans who act like kids in a school yard, that I'm taking a break from keeping up with it all. I stay aware of major stories, but I've enjoyed not watching TV news every day and have actually been in a better state of mind.

• Members

i have a 46" that has a dvd player hooked up to it. im about to buy a ps3. i havent had cable in 12 years, id love to get history/discovery/national geographic/bbc etc. if only i could pick and choose what channels i wanted.

Above are the reasons, and only resons, I enjoy my Dish.

• Members

I quit cable maybe 5 years ago and I don't miss it.

I still am up on just about everything going on and I am up to date on decent TV like Dexter, House, Lost, The Office, etc. from DVD.

I kind of got off it because I had a job that had me coming home at midnight and I was missing everything anyway - so I got rid of the cable and dvr and just watched late night for a while - Then I moved normal hours (and I'm never going back) and I just was out of the habit of sitting around watching TV all night.

There are weeks when I don't turn my TV on at all. I read a lot, listen to the radio (NPR usually - Coast to Coast if I'm up, even shortwave crazies), check the internets every day -

As for news - I would rather make up my own mind about stuff than be told by local news how scared I should be that everything around me threatens my health and sanity. They sell fear. Walk away from it for a while and then check in - You'll be amazed at how negative everything is (kind of echoes the OP).

Still love books, man. We're being told that they're going the way of the dinosaur. Would much rather spend 4 hours reading than watching COPS (which I was amazed a few weeks ago is still on) on a Saturday night.

God loves the internets, though. It's be so much harder to quit this than TV.

One addiction for another, I suppose.

Archived