I am a lot less depressed now that I don't have cable TV

mikeoxlong

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah, screw those people with missing children, lying in hospitals in Haiti, etc.

no i heard about that, but i mean... pretty much every bit of news is bad news and is about stuff that is completely out of my control so it's nice not to have to hear about it.

• Members

no i heard about that, but i mean... pretty much every bit of news is bad news and is about stuff that is completely out of my control so it's nice not to have to hear about it.

i haven't had cable for years.

news shows are depressing to me less because of homocides and so on as the absolute superficiality of them--the emphasis on shopping tips and sports on local news and the constant commentary on the news networks.

i do kinda miss bbc news though.

• Members

I see the OPs point. What do we really benefit from seeing details of a car wreck every night on the news? Do we drive safer from it? Probably not... Its important to know whats happening in the world at any given point, but the news, at least here, is filled with fairly morbid voyeurism. The news loves car wrecks, I dont see the point in it personally. If it was someone I knew I wouldnt want it plastered all over the TV. I mean, for every 2 people killed in a car accident, there are probably 100 other people killed from something else, cancer or something.

• Members

I haven't had TV for about a year now. Couldn't be happier.

i have a 46" that has a dvd player hooked up to it. im about to buy a ps3. i havent had cable in 12 years, id love to get history/discovery/national geographic/bbc etc. if only i could pick and choose what channels i wanted.

• Members

:thu: Congrats!

I haven't lived in a house with cable TV since I lived with my parents in the 80s.

My wife doesn't watch television either, so we save money, spend more time doing crazy stuff like talk to each other :eek: or go for walks. Granted, we do spend quite a bit of time on the computer. :o But I see that coming to an end once I buy a home.

• Members

i have a 46" that has a dvd player hooked up to it. im about to buy a ps3. i havent had cable in 12 years, id love to get history/discovery/national geographic/bbc etc. if only i could pick and choose what channels i wanted.

a la cart tv would be great. the only reason I have cable at my apartment is because it was 52 a month for a package of cable and internet for 6 months. And 60 for internet.

I'm only in that apartment for six months, then I'm going to a different school. I lucked out.

All my shows are available online though legally, which is pretty nice.

• Members

do you get 'normal' TV is the US? or is it cable/satellite or nothing?

you mean over the air stuff? Like the {censored} you can get with rabbit ears.

Yea, you can get a few of the big channels over that. In the early days of HD, HD antennas were pretty big when getting HD content from a cable provider was harder. Now no one really talks about them.

• Members

a la cart tv would be great. the only reason I have cable at my apartment is because it was 52 a month for a package of cable and internet for 6 months. And 60 for internet.

I'm only in that apartment for six months, then I'm going to a different school. I lucked out.

All my shows are available online though legally, which is pretty nice.

We got ala carte cable here. We get a basic package of internet and TV for $20 then each additional channel costs $1 a month.

• Members

We got ala carte cable here. We get a basic package of internet and TV for $20 then each additional channel costs $1 a month.

son of a bitch. I wish I could get that. Is that {censored}ing cable internet for 20 bucks? you suck man. I'm paying out the ass for my internet.

• Members
you mean over the air stuff? Like the {censored} you can get with rabbit ears.

Yea, you can get a few of the big channels over that. In the early days of HD, HD antennas were pretty big when getting HD content from a cable provider was harder. Now no one really talks about them.

yeah, free TV, public service TV, whatever you want to call it? .... lol, here we are in the 'early days of HD' half the population are still using cathode tube TV's (me included!!) I only know 1 person with an HD TV. :lol:

• Members

son of a bitch. I wish I could get that. Is that {censored}ing cable internet for 20 bucks? you suck man. I'm paying out the ass for my internet.

Yup cable internet and cable TV. HD costs a bit more for the set-top box but it's a one time payment of $100. Each month adds $2 to your total bill for HD. I don't have HD right now since my tv has only 1 HDMI input and it's being used for my PS3.

• Members
yeah, free TV, public service TV, whatever you want to call it? .... lol, here we are in the 'early days of HD' half the population are still using cathode tube TV's (me included!!) I only know 1 person with an HD TV.
:lol:

:lol: HDTVs still aren't the most popular thing here. But they are getting close. If you want to buy a new tv, it's almost all thats available. HD content is becoming standard here, just a few years ago HD channels simply weren't available. A lot of networks are making the switch.

almost no one is carrying BBC America in HD though. :cry:

• Members
:lol:
HDTVs still aren't the most popular thing here. But they are getting close. If you want to buy a new tv, it's almost all thats available. HD content is becoming standard here, just a few years ago HD channels simply weren't available. A lot of networks are making the switch.

almost no one is carrying BBC America in HD though.
:cry:

oh right.... yeah, if I was to buy a new TV it would be the same here, I don't think we are so quick to replace stuff here generally... unless my TV stops working I'm not gonna buy anything else. Most of the BBC's broadcasts aren't in HD yet anyway mate, I can't see that happening until a lot more people have it here, because of the way it's funded (by us!) people don't like paying for something they can't use and the BBC are well aware of that.

Archived