Science Friday....

companyman

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Humans explore at about 3 miles an hour, within an order of magnitude.

A good pace when hiking the Appalachian trail is 3 or 4 miles an hour. Columbus' ships made about 3 miles an hour on the first trip. Yuri Gagarin went into space in 1961, Apollo landed on the moon in 1969, so 8 years. The moon is about 250,000 miles away, so going a quarter million miles in 8 years is about 3 miles an hour, give or take.

Now, to get to mars means going at least 50 million miles. Taking 1961 as a starting point, it'll take about 1900 years to get to mars. Yeah, I'm not hopeful.

Take it even further and figure out how long it's going to take to get to another star. We're probably not going to Alpha Centauri, because that system has 2 or 3 suns, maybe no planets. Figure the closest earth-like planet is about 10 light years away. 10 light years at 3mph is 2 billion years. The oceans of earth will start evaporating around that time, necessitating some sort of move.

• Members

Fake_Moon.jpg

2 words:cross hairs! google it.

crosshairs.jpg

a) In some photos, the crosshairs (fiducials) appear to be behind objects, rather than in front of them where they should be, as if the photos were altered.[16]

* In photography, the light white color (the object behind the crosshair) makes the black object (the crosshair) invisible due to saturation effects in the film emulsion. The film particles that ought to have been black were exposed by light from the adjacent brightly lit particles. Ironically, this saturation effect would not happen if the crosshairs were drawn on in post, and so is evidence of genuine photos. Attempting to alter photos that already have crosshairs would make the compositing process far more difficult.

and......

AS14-67-9386.jpg

thanks for playing!!

• Members

You think that's the only evidence?

I think not!

I wont get into it because before you know it you'll be saying 911 was orchestrated and completed by Osama Bin Laden and his "terrorist" minions. LMFAO!

I don't know if you are being serious or not...

But wouldn't the empirical evidence provided by the retro reflectors debunk all of your so called "evidence" anyway? Which all by the way can all be explained with science.

Also,

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members
just what the Europeans were probably saying before Columbus returned....if there is one thing that humanity has proven about itself, it is that we will consume all resources, relentlessly, meanwhile reproducing at an exponential rate. To not look for other possible inhabitable planets is foolish and short sighted. We have to dream big to win big.

I know you aren't a Zinn fan but perhaps you should re-read the Columbus part again and ask the millions of people exterminated as a result of reckless expansionism how that worked out for them... The cultures extinguished were able to function in balance with their surroundings for tens of thousands of years. Hate to wax sentimental and {censored}. Expansion is fine, provided it is well thought out and doesn't resemble the behaviors of a virus or cancerous growth.
:thu:

• Members

NASA receives less than half of what Homeland Security does.

Agreed.

Found the Stats. Interesting none the less.

* Discretionary spending: $1.114 trillion (+3.1%)

o $481.4 billion (+12.1%) - Department of Defense

o $145.2 billion (+45.8%) - Global War on Terror

o $69.3 billion (+0.3%) - Department of Health and Human Services

o $56.0 billion (+0.0%) - Department of Education

o $39.4 billion (+18.7%) - Department of Veterans Affairs

o $35.2 billion (+1.4%) - Department of Housing and Urban Development

o $35.0 billion (+22.0%) - Department of State and Other International Programs

o $34.3 billion (+7.2%) - Department of Homeland Security

o $24.3 billion (+6.6%) - Department of Energy

o $20.2 billion (+4.1%) - Department of Justice

o $20.2 billion (+3.1%) - Department of Agriculture

o $17.3 billion (+6.8%) - National Aeronautics and Space Administration

o $12.1 billion (+13.1%) - Department of Transportation

o $12.1 billion (+6.1%) - Department of the Treasury

o $10.6 billion (+2.9%) - Department of the Interior

o $10.6 billion (-9.4%) - Department of Labor

o $51.8 billion (+9.7%) - Other On-budget Discretionary Spending

o $39.0 billion - Other Off-budget Discretionary Spending

• Members

No deep space exploration for us. Hell, no exploration of nearby systems, for that matter.

If you mean by physically visiting them in the near future. Well of course not. But with things like Kepler and countless other telescopes we have I don't know if we really need to just yet. I mean we still have plenty to discover in our own solar system.

• Members

Take it even further and figure out how long it's going to take to get to another star. We're probably not going to Alpha Centauri, because that system has 2 or 3 suns, maybe no planets. Figure the closest earth-like planet is about 10 light years away. 10 light years at 3mph is 2 billion years. The oceans of earth will start evaporating around that time, necessitating some sort of move.

In simulations of three body star systems it is possible to have planets. That being said though I wish we knew more about the Alpha Centauri system.

Archived