Fuzz pedal for that "ripping velcro" sound

• Members

I'm looking for a fuzz pedal that can do that super compressed fuzzy "ripping velcro" sound, like on Raconteurs "Salute Your Solution" (the bridge at 1:45..."I got what I got all despite you.." etc).

I've heard that JW is using either a Z-Vex Wolly Mammoth or Fuzz Factory, not sure though. Is there a pedal that does that doesn't cost +$300?

I have a Little Big Muff on order, will it be able to get that sound or something close?

• Members

The Fuzz Factory is probably even what he's using there.

But the old Univox Squarewave can get you close with more dynamics.

Here's an original with an amazing super charged "clone" by basic audio:

Squarewaves.jpg

also. an Elka Dizzy Tone can definitely get you there and then some.

There are some great clones being built.

like this one from Ghost Effects:

file.php?id=5455

• Members

The Fuzz Factory is probably even what he's using there.

But the old Univox Squarewave can get you close with more dynamics.

Here's an original with an amazing super charged "clone" by basic audio:

Squarewaves.jpg

Do they still sell this?

• Members

I think they are somewhat similar, but heard the Mastrotron (is that name right?) actually sounds better. You may want to contact Zvex and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

The mastotron isn't the same circuit. It makes a lot more noise and a lot less awesome fuzz.

• Members

The Univox is long gone (from the 70s) but the Basic Audio was actually cloned from my original Univox and is spot on.

plus he added some "extras" that can push it into all sorts of other territories.

John is a great builder and a nice guy, kick him an email.

I saw that but I didn't think it was the same pedal, your controls seem much different.

• Members

I had a fuzz god II that does great velcro fuzz, it's a great pedal for a lot of uses (overdrive, sludge also).

I just got a peppermint fuzz, it does the velcro sound better than any fuzz I've tried (not that I'm a connoisseur or anything though).

Archived