How much money do you want to earn

• Members

Hmm. I have a house, 2 car payments, a wife and a baby on the way. So maybe a touch different situation than most here.

When my wife was working full time, we were pulling 90k. We've been around 75k the past 2 years. With the extra girl to spoil on the way, I'd hope we're cresting 150k together by 40.

She's an RN and I'm a mechanical engineer. I've been out of school 5 years.

If I were single, I'd be cool with 55k.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I grew up in a suburban upper-middle-class family and now I'm in college. I've never been rich but I've never been without my creature comforts either.

I don't expect enough money to buy everything I want, but I would like to earn enough money to buy everything I NEED and SOME of the things I want. And I would expect to have a family eventually, although God knows that's along way away.

I feel like I'm not at the point where I understand exactly what that translates to as a pure dollar value. But I'm at school studying for a public policy degree; I'll probably end up working for "the man" (I'm perfectly OK with that) and with any luck won't have to worry too much about finances.

• Members

It's funny how where you live really changes how much you need to make, housing factors in huge in what you need to make, add in children, vehicles, food and bills (damn I hate bills), and the number gets kinda large.

I myself am in Fort McMurray, AB, Canada, and the average house price is now at $680,000, hell a mobile home (fancy word for trailer) is on average $420,000 yeah it's retarded.

What you make will always be relative to where you live.

• Members
I graduated from undergrad almost 2 years ago. When I was in school I already had a good idea of what I'd be making coming out (mostly as I already signed with a firm). Still, my goal coming out of undergrad was $1M/year by age 30-32 (10 years of FT work or less). I'm off to a decent start but living in LA is pretty expensive. I live modestly too (don't scoff due to my 2 amps and 2 guitars lol) and think it's still pretty tough to be in decent financial shape.

What to you intend to be working as to make 1m a year?

• Members
What to you intend to be working as to make 1m a year?

High level finance (investment banking, private equity, etc). I'm currently an analyst at a boutique financial and strategic advisory firm that specializes in entertainment and media. It's a brutal job but I like it. There is plenty of upside and the current pay isn't all that bad either.

• Members
High level finance (investment banking, private equity, etc). I'm currently an analyst at a boutique financial and strategic advisory firm that specializes in entertainment and media. It's a brutal job but I like it. There is plenty of upside and the current pay isn't all that bad either.

Good luck, I imagine only a small percentage, perhaps less than 1% of the population would be making that kind of money.

Great if you can do it doing something you dig. :thu:

• Members
Good luck, I imagine only a small percentage, perhaps less than 1% of the population would be making that kind of money.

Great if you can do it doing something you dig.
:thu:

Thanks, I'll probably need all the luck I can get :thu:

Yes, a very small portion of the population makes that kind of money. At the same time, a very large portion of the population would NEVER want to do the work to make that amount of money.

• Members

I used to make about $38k a year, and that was difficult for me to live on. Right now, I make about half that, and it's killing me. I will be starting my new life as a school teacher soon, though, which will put me right back around $40k a year. I guess I'll have to get a 2nd job.

• Members
i'd be happy if i pulled 60k-70k a year. of course, living in vancouver bc that might not be enough.

Yeah, I'd love to buy a house somewhere in the GVD one day, but our housing market is just stupidly inflated. :facepalm:
It would be nice to pull in around 80k or so once I get established in the biz and after I get my P.Eng. I'd be more than happy if I could live in a nice place, pay the bills and have some coin to blow on hobbies, nothing extravagant. Knowing myself, I could probably live in a square room with no furniture. :lol:

• Members

I make 40 grand a year--no kids, not married. I've lived on alot less, though, for many years, so it was sort of hardwired that you get used to spending or living on a certain amount. We got a whole bunch of bonuses in the last few months--a few grand at a time, but I also have a very physically demanding job, and i'm great at data entry and a whole bunch of jack of all trades things that most people in my field don't (can't) do.

It would be nice to earn more, but in alot of ways, I don't need a heckuva lot more.....i've got to the point where I realize that the game changes when you have more money, anyways--you just upgrade to a different level of quality or expenses and then it again never seems to be enough when you hit that level (the toys just get bigger and more expensive)....and you realize that someone always has more. I'm lucky that I make enough to dump enough money into the sinkhole of making music and buying gear (guitars, amps, basses, recording gear, mics, preamps), ha ha....I don't need kids, because that's goddamned demanding enough!

• Members
Are you in finance?

yeah, i work for one of the big 4 in australia

its a great place to work. definately look after their employees. i think ours is the better paid of all the banks in the country. but its also a good culture to work within, from my point of view anyway.

the opportunity to develop and step up is endless as well.

• Members

As long as i could keep a similar standard to my parents. I'd be happy.

So probably 50-75k and my wife would have to make around the same. My parents make more i'm sure. But i feel as if with that i'd be living very comfortable.

We shall see, i'm trying to make this music thing legitimate. So when that inevitably fails and i have to ride the pine for the dough. I hope i can make around that.