How much money do you want to earn

• Members

In my experience, the people earning the big dollars here have positions that are closely tied in to the business's revenue, sales is one thing, but product development is another, of financial controllers and of course management.

There are software engineers and developers and the like earning 150k easily too. I would say a lot of what they are earning now has little to nothing to do with what degree they earned when they were 19 or 20 years old.

Food for thought.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I'll probably be in college for another 15 years
:idk:

Part of me wouldn't mind being broke and in school for the rest of my life:love::facepalm: I think I just like learning brand new stuff and being tested on it.

On the other hand, regarding the opinions on making more/less than parents, part of me thinks that if I end up making less than them in my lifetime, than what the hell was the point of me? Twisted thought I know :cop:

• Members

I've been supporting myself as a waiter for the last 5 years, working only 15-25 hours a week and pulling in the neighborhood of 20k a year while I spent the majority of my time playing in a band, but I'm in school now for electrical engineering now and the average graduate with a bachelor's in EE from my school starts at over 90k. I feel very comfortable living on what I make now, so that jump is going to feel like winning the lottery.

• Members

In 2008, I took a 40% dip in income.
In 2009, I took a $19K net hit from the previous year.
Three years ago, one of my customers paid me a little over $41K. Last year, I grossed $453.00 from them.
This economy sucks.
BTW, thank you for all the outsourcing. American manufacturing is being killed off.
Three of my customers don't exist anymore.
Obama, you're {censored}ing killing me.

• Members
In 2008, I took a 40% dip in income.

In 2009, I took a $19K net hit from the previous year.

Three years ago, one of my customers paid me a little over $41K. Last year, I grossed $453.00 from them.

This economy sucks.

BTW, thank you for all the outsourcing. American manufacturing is being killed off.

Three of my customers don't exist anymore.

Obama, you're {censored}ing killing me.

How is it Obamas fault? The US was already in recession when he was elected right?

• Members
It's not really lame - it's realistic. If she knew that she ultimately wouldn't be happy, she made the right decision. You may not like it, but it's probably better than ending up with a failed marriage and a couple of kids 5-7 years later....

I guess so. Its kinda old fashioned in the way that people used to always marry for money and property, not love.

But it is like saying, I'd rather marry a rich guy that I can tolerate than a middle class guy that I love.

I know which I would pick, and i dont even believe in Marriage.

• Members
It's not really lame - it's realistic. If she knew that she ultimately wouldn't be happy, she made the right decision. You may not like it, but it's probably better than ending up with a failed marriage and a couple of kids 5-7 years later....

I think the only "lame" part is living at home until 30 and expecting someone else (through marriage) to pick up where your parents left off and take care of everything for you.

• Members
Oh I see, that sucks man.

Yeah, American manufacturing gets no love from our gov.
I started my biz in 1983 and it's geared towards the manufacturing industry.
I've done pretty well without gov help.
I've jumped through hoops and complied with government contracts only to have them pulled from me in literally 5 minutes.
Outsourcing and Obama's health plan is going to put my wife & I out of business.
It's {censored}ing amazing how, Democrat & Republican, can mismanage and leave us with the bill while they drift off to greener pastures.
I have to do my job and perform a service every day and sometimes work harder to chase customers to get paid. Everything I do in my biz is totally self made. I don't get any help from the government except try to make it through their constant speed bumps.
I've done pretty well for myself by depending only on myself, my wife and my customers. I don't need any more gov bull{censored}.
BTW, a small sidebar, corporations are protected and can disolve and reform without paying previous bills. My wife is owed $8K from some Australian company that's gone belly up.....but it's more than $8K, there's the supplies that my wife paid for that is still in the possession of an out of business Austrailian company. Our loss.

• Members
Different people look for different things. I didn't marry for money or status (far from it), but I don't condemn those who do - as long as they are honest with themselves about it.

I just dont see why anyone in the world would do things differently to me.

Its weirdsies

:idk:

• Members

Yeah, American manufacturing gets no love from our gov.

I started my biz in 1983 and it's geared towards the manufacturing industry.

I've done pretty well without gov help.

I've jumped through hoops and complied with government contracts only to have them pulled from me in literally 5 minutes.

Outsourcing and Obama's health plan is going to put my wife & I out of business.

It's {censored}ing amazing how, Democrat & Republican, can mismanage and leave us with the bill while they drift off to greener pastures.

I have to do my job and perform a service every day and sometimes work harder to chase customers to get paid. Everything I do in my biz is totally self made. I don't get any help from the government except try to make it through their constant speed bumps.

I've done pretty well for myself by depending only on myself, my wife and my customers. I don't need any more gov bull{censored}.

BTW, a small sidebar, corporations are protected and can disolve and reform without paying previous bills. My wife is owed $8K from some Australian company that's gone belly up.....but it's more than $8K, there's the supplies that my wife paid for that is still in the possession of an out of business Austrailian company. Our loss.

Ah damn, as an Aussie it sucks to hear that

I hate the idea of outsourcing stuff to cheaper countries. My company is doing just that now, IT development work to a mini sweat shop somewhere in asia. I quit recently, and they are talking about replacing me with a number of outsourced people overseas.

God help us.

• Members
Ah damn, as an Aussie it sucks to hear that

I hate the idea of outsourcing stuff to cheaper countries. My company is doing just that now, IT development work to a mini sweat shop somewhere in asia. I quit recently, and they are talking about replacing me with a number of outsourced people overseas.

God help us.

Outsourcing is killing product quality and putting the foundation of industry out of work.
One of my former customers make communication hubs for military vehicles. It's a plastic cap that looks like a car distributor cap. The contract was split. I can't go to Pakistan to make trucking pick ups and deliver to Kentucky, so I'm out of a contract. BUT, the most disturbing thing is that the outsourced plastic quality is substandard (according to the US company). There's going to be plenty of military communication failures in the field.
Anyway, product quality drops; I lose a customer ($ income); there's the possibility of a failure in the field and some CEO is making money hand over fist.
Either Obama or Bush.....pick your poison. Neither one gives a {censored} about the working stiff.

• Members

It's funny how busnesses are run.
Years ago, I had an agreement with DHL where I'd pick up deliveries that were too much for the facility to handle. I got my foot in the door and it worked out extremely well. I was told that they wish they'd found me 5 years ago. I felt great. I was doing 40 deliveries a day at $20.00 a delivery. That's $800.00 a day. They were happy. I was happy. Then, DHL buys Airborne. It's teamster time. I'm out.
According to my buds at DHL, the DHL/Airborne thing didn't work as well as they liked. Lots of DHL personnel were shown the door....and I lost a great account.
It's allowed to happen.
Where's government protection for the worker?
BTW, does Obama want us to know how many people, who were on unemployment insurance for 99 months, who haven't found a job and aren't on the dole anymore?
Betcha Obama can get a shark sandwich at 3:30 in the morning if he wishes.

• Members

I'm living comfortably, saving slowly with a little cash on the sideto buy new clothes/gear/see a show etc.

As much as I'd love to earn more, I just know that it'll never be enough.

Realistically I'd like to be earning another 10k on top of what i am now.

This would low me to invest money into projects without fear.

I have ideas of things I want to do, but I refuse to get a loan or savage my savings.

• Members
I
It would be nice to earn more, but in alot of ways, I don't need a heckuva lot more.....i've got to the point where I realize that the game changes when you have more money, anyways--you just upgrade to a different level of quality or expenses and then it again never seems to be enough when you hit that level (the toys just get bigger and more expensive)....and you realize that someone always has more. QUOTE]

yeah, i make more in this job than i have in recent years, and i already have things i need. i look online for stuff, but i really dont need much.

i think its more ijportant to keep the debt levels down.

• Members
Where's government protection for the worker?

BTW, does Obama want us to know how many people, who were on unemployment insurance for 99 months, who haven't found a job and aren't on the dole anymore?

Betcha Obama can get a shark sandwich at 3:30 in the morning if he wishes.

Good thing you invested in all those rare guitars and amps, bbreaker. I'd imagine you can make some pretty sweet cash off of that lot. :thu: And I bet Obama can't play a copper Tele at 3:30am!!! :D

My employer pays my health insurance and at my salary I won't be taxed because of the new bill. Its crazy that some people/businesses are so affected, and others won't even notice.

For a more positive Obama story, I bought a house in central San Diego last year; something I never thought I'd be able to afford to do. Just got my refund in the mail and thanks to his first time buyer tax credit, I almost made back the cost of the down payment that I put on the house.

• Members
Housing here in Belgium is pretty cheap compared to the US. 1mil for a manhattan apartement?
:eek:
400.000 will buy you a bigass countryside villa here. I've seen 17th century castles in the neighborhood go for 800.000.

A nice house at a quiet location is around 250.000 here.

Note to self: Move to Belgium.

...You couldn't buy a condo for 400,000 here.