New Blacktop Series Fender Jag/Jazz Guitars....hmmmm

blueballoon

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

not sure if want.

this + mods will equal the same I'll pay for a 90s mij jag/jazz sooooo we'll see. I do have the mod bug, though...

Hmm....I had a CIJ Jazzmaster...then I realized I prefer a 9.5" fretboard radius and the bridge was a total pain in the ass.

With the Blackstop I would probably/maybe just change the pickups...it has a better bridge and a 9.5" radius. Win.

• Members

i am intrigued that they are doing silver on the jag (and tele), mostly because i have been trolling ebay for a while looking for a jag body to refinish in inca silver... with a single-ply black pickguard...

the black jazz with mint pickguard is growing on me, but that hummer has to go...

• Members

I'm glad they're making these for people who want a Jazz but don't have 800 or more to spend on one but judging from the pic the break angle is wrong. That is unless the body is different which I doubt. It looks like they moved the trem up, I guess to try and fix the string issues a lot of people have with them (although a proper setup will do the job). That will seriously change the the attack and the way the notes bloom which to me is one of the best things about the JM. Maybe I'm being a little picky here but regardless I have 5 offsets so....

• Members

and they're all confirmed at $450?

sounds a little too good to be true to get a Jazz/Jag based guitar for that much

Ikr? Price is legit. Even if they aren't the be all, end all offsets...who would honestly expect them to be at this price? It's worth it for the body/neck alone, I think. Would love to see some shell pink, surf green, daphne blue type stuff going on, though.

• Members

I'll add a little......

I'm guessing that these guits are mainly aimed at people who like the offset shape, but don't know/care about how they work or the functional reasons why one should desire to own one. (Or can mod them to more personally desirable specs)

Hell, I'm probably going to buy one of the JM's just because I've always wanted one....but never wanted to spend $600+ for a 3rd or 4th guitar.

Agree/disagree it wouldn't be any more expensive to move the trem back to give it the right break angle. People who like and want they guitar will probably hear or have heard other bands/artists use them and to my ears the buzzstop or changing the break angle really alters the classic JM sound. You said you've always wanted one but didn't want to spend so much for another guitar. Is it the Jazzmaster sound you're after or just the body shape? It really does make a big difference.

• Members

Agree/disagree it wouldn't be any more expensive to move the trem back to give it the right break angle. People who like and want they guitar will probably hear or have heard other bands/artists use them and to my ears the buzzstop or changing the break angle really alters the classic JM sound. You said you've always wanted one but didn't want to spend so much for another guitar. Is it the Jazzmaster sound you're after or just the body shape? It really does make a big difference.

Exactly. I like the shape, the way the pickups sound (had some MIA pickups in another guitar) and the Strat scale. (all my guitars are short or shorter scale). Plus it may be fun to tinker with a bit, modding here and there as I go along.

I'm definitely not denying the tone of the Jazzmaster, or that all of its components and the way they are assembled create that specific tone.

• Members
I'm glad they're making these for people who want a Jazz but don't have 800 or more to spend on one but judging from the pic the break angle is wrong. That is unless the body is different which I doubt. It looks like they moved the trem up, I guess to try and fix the string issues a lot of people have with them....

It obviously uses the same trem position as the classic players that are also made in mexico. I tried one are really liked it. :idk: if you want a vintage style buy a japanese or US one, if you want a more modern beast get one of these. The shorter break angle, tom, and humbucker are much more suited my my playing style. I approve. :)

• Members
At 450 I'm guessing the sunburst JM is going to have a veneer over it?

If so, meh.

It's cool that they are finally making more affordable JM's and jags, though.

eh? it's made of alder, my sunburst jagmaster is alder, alder looks nice in sunburst.... :confused:

• Members
From the copy: "Dual vintage-style Fender Blacktop alnico humbucking pickups rock the hot high-gain power of today's most aggressive sounds."

Is anyone else confused by this?

yeah, the Jazzmaster only has one not duel humbuckers. ;)

Archived