New Blacktop Series Fender Jag/Jazz Guitars....hmmmm

blueballoon

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Both sound pretty good to me - especially the Jazz...
:)

Agreed.

I wouldn't mind one of those Jazzmasters...but I have a Jagmaster project in the works which should satisfy my offset-GAS (for now). :)

Here's the Blacktop Tele:

[YOUTUBE]OhpQErI684I[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I tried the Tele and the Strat today at my local GC through a Tiny Terror combo. The craftsmanship was top notch. The strat didn't do much for me, but I liked the Tele quite a bit.

The necks were really nice - kinda chunky/no sharp fret ends. The pickups weren't too shabby either. The tele did strike me as being pretty heavy far a tele but I'm pretty sure weight tends to be all over the place with Fender MIMs.

• Members

I was pretty excited about these at first, but after some thought the Xaviere offsets might represent a more cost effective modding platform. The Xaviere stuff has more color options as well, like ocean turquoise and
:love:
surf green

I was skeptical about Xaviere stuff at first, but I wanted to get my feet wet in the Tele pool, so I picked up a 620. After some new pickups, I absolutely love it. I'm sure their offsets are pretty similar. The color options are a huge plus, too :thu:

DSCI0273.jpg

• Members

I was pretty excited about these at first, but after some thought the Xaviere offsets might represent a more cost effective modding platform. The Xaviere stuff has more color options as well, like ocean turquoise and
surf green

Heck, the Xavieres are probably just better guitars.

Edit: Oh snap, 5,000th post.

• Members

I was skeptical about Xaviere stuff at first, but I wanted to get my feet wet in the Tele pool, so I picked up a 620. After some new pickups, I absolutely love it. I'm sure their offsets are pretty similar. The color options are a huge plus, too
:thu:

I've been back and forth on Xavieres for a long time, glad to know they're well made. How good is the body/finish/hardware? Apparently the current models will work with Fender necks and pickguards. I'm still working out the details but I figure using Xaviere I can build a partsmaster in the color I want for less than the Blacktop Jazzy/new pups/pickguard.

• Members

How was the neck? did the guitar seem solid?

as a total fender no0b i realy cant comment on the neck thickness in fender terms but it felt like a fatter SG neck in 25.5 scale.

the guitar felt WAY solid, good solid clunk with the pup selector, knobs were nice and tight, pots were smooth. the tele felt like it was built to {censored}ing rock out.

• Members

sounds decent i guess.. but idk im not sold.

i will say that it is weird seeing this demo! this is my local shop, and i have met that guy a few times when im in there. pretty nice guy, and a pretty good player i must say. good ole pianos n stuff :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Probably a really dumb question but I'm lazy and ignorant: Could I just drop a prewired Jaguar HH Special pickguard and pickups into the Blacktop Jag?

I compared the Blacktop, HH Special and Classic Player at my local Sam Ash yesterday and holy {censored} the Blacktop is nice. I prefer the neck on it to the other two as well. But the electronics are just okay; I'd really like a rhythm/lead circuit. However, the HH Special and Classic Player totally aren't worth the extra $400-$500, in my opinion. Really impressed and wondering how easily I can swap the electronics.

Archived