is it time to start thinking about this year's Battle Of The Boards?

RadioSilence

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm tempted to make an all arion/aria/dod board in one of the non-cheap categories.

i think it would be cool if there was an all-brand category. like an EHX, DOD, or an all-boutique brand i guess et cetera.

would also be cool if 'People Who Do Noise' (or had noise specific pedals: 4MS, KCP et cetera...) actually competed in the noise board one but i really only know one person that does noise that posts on here regularly (Kirk Markarian).

• Members
I am afraid I will open the box of pandora, but what do people thing about
pics+soundclips
?

:snax:

I've pushed for this every year and no one goes for it. It seems that people just want a festival for materialism. I would love it if we at least had a category for pics + soundclips, that way we can appease the people who just want to show off the size of their credit card limit and still have a contest for whose board actually sounds good.

I'm sick of the excuses about how it becomes about recording, or how you can't hear the pedals through a {censored}ty camera mic, etc. If you have thousands of dollars worth of pedals and no decent way to record them, then that's pretty silly.

• Members

I've pushed for this every year and no one goes for it. It seems that people just want a festival for materialism. I would love it if we at least had a category for pics + soundclips, that way we can appease the people who just want to show off the size of their credit card limit and still have a contest for whose board actually sounds good.

I'm sick of the excuses about how it becomes about recording, or how you can't hear the pedals through a {censored}ty camera mic, etc.
If you have thousands of dollars worth of pedals and no decent way to record them, then that's pretty silly.

Is it? What if you play solely in a live situation, or just play for fun and your own enjoyment and so have no need to record?

As a test run, why not make it compulsory to post a soundclip with each entrant for the top five categories (based on perhaps number of votes last year), and optional on the rest, and see how it affects people's decisions, or whether it offered an extra level of interest. You can then use the outcome from that to decide whether it should be a regular occurrence.

• Members
It seems that people just want a festival for materialism.

Restructuring BOTB probably won't change this, or encourage most members to think differently about how they vote. Should Kurt Cobain himself rise from the dead and post a clip with just a DS-1... everyone would still vote for a board full of the trendiest boutique array.

Not that I'm against having other categories, because that would be fun too. But don't blame the event or the categories for the reason why we don't agree with the prevailing tastes of HCFX ;)

• Members

Is it? What if you play solely in a live situation, or just play for fun and your own enjoyment and so have no need to record?

I'm not buying it. If you play solely in a live situation, then you probably have access to a decent mic. And if you've just dropped a few grand on pedals to "just play for fun", then there's probably no reason to whine that you can't enter them in a contest without spending $50 or so for a decent mic to record them with.

Archived