is it time to start thinking about this year's Battle Of The Boards?

RadioSilence

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

let's just let it be fun, please? everyone who enters is eligible for the prizes...the prize winners are the true winners of the contest anyway. i'd rather have my name drawn for a Lava Kit or a free Blackout pedal than "win" the contest and not get anything free.

Haha for sure...I did take Phil up on his title offer just to be silly, but really I was just happy to get some free lavas so I could dump my crappy hosas.

• Members

c'mon guys let's be serious..the point is that it should be a funny thing. Imagine how boring it will be for people voting listening hundreds of vid of people wanking..c'mon

I don't give a damn if you're using your pedals, how do you use it, what music you do. If I'm interested I ask to the owner.

this is Battle of the Board not Battle-of-what-you-do-with-your-board.

• Members
c'mon guys let's be serious..the point is that it should be a funny thing. Imagine how boring it will be for people voting listening hundreds of vid of people wanking..c'mon

I don't give a damn if you're using your pedals, how do you use it, what music you do. If I'm interested I ask to the owner.

:thu:

• Members

I agree too. Clips while well intentioned, are not necessary. Having a separate category, fine. I thought the contest was well run last year, and it was fun. Was it a popularity contest? I don't think so, maybe, but it seemed like it wasn't. I don't care that much anyway. I think the biggest issue last year, was that 2/3 of the entrants wound up in the medium board category. Not sure how we address that, but that's what I recall.

Bottom line is to have fun with it, show off what you have, it isn't always more is better, some of the best boards imo, have been small, well thought out boards that look nice. Appearance counts, just like at a car show. Good pics, etc. is all a part of it. I do think a short sentence of what the pedals are, and the chain order are helpful to everyone.

• Members

:love: Spot on :thu:

• Members

Wow, I didn't expect everyone to get so upset about the possibility of a soundclip category. Is it really so worrisome that people may want to hear how your board actually sounds? Is that really such a major challenge?

What's really odd to me is this whole "it's supposed to be Battle of the Boards not Battle of what the Boards sound like" argument. How do soundclips detract from anything? If its some purity thing, then maybe we shouldn't have pictures either, since lighting and photography aren't really essential to the "Boards". Maybe everyone can just list their effects?

I just wonder about the people who are so adamant against soundclips. What do you base your voting on anyway? You certainly haven't played every pedal on the boards and you don't know what they sound like, so how do you determine what is good or bad? Hype? Resale Value? I'm genuinely curious.

• Members

Wow, I didn't expect everyone to get so upset about the possibility of a soundclip category. Is it really so worrisome that people may want to hear how your board actually sounds? Is that really such a major challenge?

What's really odd to me is this whole "it's supposed to be Battle of the Boards not Battle of what the Boards sound like" argument. How do soundclips detract from anything? If its some purity thing, then maybe we shouldn't have pictures either, since lighting and photography aren't really essential to the "Boards". Maybe everyone can just list their effects?

I just wonder about the people who are so adamant against soundclips. What do you base your voting on anyway? You certainly haven't played every pedal on the boards and you don't know what they sound like, so how do you determine what is good or bad? Hype? Resale Value? I'm genuinely curious.

wait maybe I didn't explain well. I don't have any problem with another category just made of soundclips/videoclips. I don't agree to put soundclips/videoclips inside the standard category.

Let's say I'm looking to the small boards entries, I just want to see pics. If I want to hear clips I go to the sound clips category.

I don't think it's anything wrong with wanting clips/don't wanting clips. I just think that it's a different approach. I know that I haven't played every single pedal, but this doesn't imply that I want to know how they sound.

Also the votation of boards is something extremely subjective. Maybe you will vote for the one that sounds the best, others will vote the most tidy, others will vote judging by aesthetics, others again will vote the one closer to their musical style, etc etc..

From what I read it seems like you're more interested in how the pedalboards play rather than what there's on them. There's nothing wrong with this, but the BotB isn't the best occasion to value how they sound, IMO.

I'll be glad to see a separate contest of playing, like the one SAL does, but don't see the necessity to make a crossover with the BotB, that is basically a pedalboard exhibition.

Hope you got my point

• Members

Here's my thoughts on prizes.

100 posts minimum.

Raffle if someone is willing to do the legwork to get donations. I really don't care about prizes, but I do really like the lava pedal board kit I won last year.

Enter as many categories as you want, you get one entry in the raffle.

Make a separate soundclip category. If we make it so you can enter multiple categories then people can duke it out on tone if they wish.

And maybe we should split the medium category up further. Whatever the size requirement from last year, split it in the middle. There were a lot of people in the mid size last year. So if last year was 7-12 pedals, make it 7-9 and 10-12.

• Members

wait maybe I didn't explain well. I don't have any problem with another category just made of soundclips/videoclips. I don't agree to put soundclips/videoclips inside the standard category.

Let's say I'm looking to the small boards entries, I just want to see pics. If I want to hear clips I go to the sound clips category.

I don't think it's anything wrong with wanting clips/don't wanting clips. I just think that it's a different approach. I know that I haven't played every single pedal, but this doesn't imply that I want to know how they sound.

Also the votation of boards is something extremely subjective. Maybe you will vote for the one that sounds the best, others will vote the most tidy, others will vote judging by aesthetics, others again will vote the one closer to their musical style, etc etc..

From what I read it seems like you're more interested in how the pedalboards play rather than what there's on them. There's nothing wrong with this, but the BotB isn't the best occasion to value how they sound, IMO.

I'll be glad to see a separate contest of playing, like the one SAL does, but don't see the necessity to make a crossover with the BotB, that is basically a pedalboard exhibition.

Hope you got my point

This sounds about right to me too. I also agree with the point that it would take forever to listen to clips of every board. Putting clips in their own category would be fun though, especially if you could enter both the clips category and a picture category. I also really like the preliminary model Neoflox set up.

• Members

Hope you got my point

I'm not interest in how they "play" necessarily, but I am interested in how they sound. It's audio gear after all. If you don't know how it sounds, how can you judge it?

But I think we are in agreement on one thing, the clips should be a separate category.

• Members

This sounds about right to me too. I also agree with the point that it would take forever to listen to clips of every board. Putting clips in their own category would be fun though, especially if you could enter both the clips category and a picture category. I also really like the preliminary model Neoflox set up.

I like this way!

• Members

I'm not interest in how they "play" necessarily, but I am interested in how they sound. It's audio gear after all. If you don't know how it sounds, how can you judge it?

But I think we are in agreement on one thing, the clips should be a separate category.

at least we agree on this:thu:

• Members

Here's my thoughts on prizes.

100 posts minimum.

Raffle if someone is willing to do the legwork to get donations. I really don't care about prizes, but I do really like the lava pedal board kit I won last year.

Enter as many categories as you want, you get one entry in the raffle.

Make a separate soundclip category. If we make it so you can enter multiple categories then people can duke it out on tone if they wish.

And maybe we should split the medium category up further. Whatever the size requirement from last year, split it in the middle. There were a lot of people in the mid size last year. So if last year was 7-12 pedals, make it 7-9 and 10-12.

lot of great points here:thu:

also 100 posts seems a legit limit to avoid people signing in just for prizes.

• Members

I agree too. Clips while well intentioned, are not necessary. Having a separate category, fine. I thought the contest was well run last year, and it was fun. Was it a popularity contest? I don't think so, maybe, but it seemed like it wasn't. I don't care that much anyway.
I think the biggest issue last year, was that 2/3 of the entrants wound up in the medium board category.
Not sure how we address that, but that's what I recall.

maybe have 3 sections instead of just one; so have small-medium, medium and large-medium.

Archived