Which DAW are you using and why?

ambient

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use the defunct Mackie Tracktion 2 which cost me virtually nothing.

yeah, laugh at me, go ahead.

I use it because I do not want to spend the money to upgrade my hardware or software (and then spend the time to troubleshoot and learn the new setup). I'm not one of those constant upgraders. I still use Vista on a core2 duo laptop. The software runs my VSTs, it records and plays back multiple tracks, and it is fast and uncluttered (yet obsolete, admittedly).

I use a yamaha 01x, and I love it (there is nothing currently available that I would deem equivalent to what Yamaha was doing a couple years ago. I don't know why mLAN never took off).

Wow.

Our setups share similarities.

I have a habit of feeding Tracktion3 with a Yamaha AW16g.

The stuff works, and that's not obsolete.

• Members

REAPER is the god-king of DAWs. :rawk:

I was an Ableton Live 6 user and found REAPER and went from annoyed to overjoyed. It just clicks with my workflow so, so well. Great audio engine, great plugin bridging and general functionality, excellent bundled plugs, friggin' 6MB installer, 64-bit native, Wet/Dry knob for every plugin so you don't have to set up a ludicrous routing chain for simple parallel tasks, nice project management features once you get a little bit familiar with it, stupidly well-documented with a massive manual, oh and it's like $40 if your studio makes less than $20,000 a year. Yes I will take it thank you.

• Members

I use the defunct Mackie Tracktion 2 which cost me virtually nothing.

That's what I started out with, about six years ago. I like its filing system, and its VST compatibility, as well as all of the editing functions. The CPU usage improved with T3.

Now I'm on Logic and wish that that's what I started with, although I can't write off Tracktion altogether since it does get the job done.

• Members
REAPER is the god-king of DAWs.
:rawk:

I was an Ableton Live 6 user and found REAPER and went from annoyed to overjoyed. It just clicks with my workflow so, so well. Great audio engine, great plugin bridging and general functionality, excellent bundled plugs, friggin' 6MB installer, 64-bit native, Wet/Dry knob for every plugin so you don't have to set up a ludicrous routing chain for simple parallel tasks, nice project management features once you get a little bit familiar with it, stupidly well-documented with a massive manual, oh and it's like $40 if your studio makes less than $20,000 a year. Yes I will take it thank you.

Reaper is great. It's easy to use.

• Members

I gotta put in another good word for Live. It really is an incredible program. But, I don't really use it as a recording DAW, so it doesn't really apply to this conversation (for me anyway, I know alot of other people use it for a DAW).

I use it for writing and constructing songs... basically anything that uses alot of loops.

• Members

I gotta put in another good word for Live. It really is an incredible program. But, I don't really use it as a recording DAW, so it doesn't really apply to this conversation (for me anyway, I know alot of other people use it for a DAW).

I use it for writing and constructing songs... basically anything that uses alot of loops.

Ah yeah, good point and one which I alluded to but did not make clear. I also use Live for composition and demos, and use its sequencer for playing back MIDI (and some audio loops), but will slave it to Logic and record everything into that for mixing (on the rare occasion that anything makes it to that point).

cracked software FTW.

I just submitted this thread earlier today for inclusion into the HC Confidential weekly newsletter, which comes out on Thursday, and is read by tens of thousands of people - including a LOT of professional MI products people. You might want to reconsider the wisdom of putting something like that into a public post on an open forum.

Besides, we do NOT promote the use of illegal software on Harmony Central, and it's against the site rules to do so. :cop: Do the right thing and pay for the software you use folks. :wave:

• Members

Logic. I just like it. I'm honestly not very picky about DAWs. I can use just about anything and figure it out. I learned how to record and mix on cubase SX3 so I'm pretty proficient with that. Never had the opportunity to mess with pro tools and I kind of don't want to. I hate that you are locked to certain hardware. The last record I engineered I did in SAW studio and I really love that program for tracking. Really straight forward and has a cool feature where you can do different takes on different layers. Then you just have to move the good takes to one layer and you have your full track. Really quick and simple to save different takes.

I usually track in garageband because it's really fast and simple. And then I import that garageband session into logic to mix it.

• Members

Logic. I just like it. I'm honestly not very picky about DAWs. I can use just about anything and figure it out. I learned how to record and mix on cubase SX3 so I'm pretty proficient with that. Never had the opportunity to mess with pro tools and I kind of don't want to. I hate that you are locked to certain hardware. The last record I engineered I did in SAW studio and I really love that program for tracking. Really straight forward and has a cool feature where you can do different takes on different layers. Then you just have to move the good takes to one layer and you have your full track. Really quick and simple to save different takes.

I usually track in garageband because it's really fast and simple. And then I import that garageband session into logic to mix it.

I agree about the hardware thing, and with Pro Tools LE (at least with 7) ypou don't have the layers feature. Have to pay the BIG bucks to get that.

Archived