Which DAW are you using and why?

ambient

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pretty good with Pro Tools, but my preference (and what I use at home) is for Cubase.

I'm on Cubase 5 and have been using it since VST 3.

I use it because it best suits my workflow (I've used most of the major DAWs at one time or another) and because I can do everything I want (and more) quickly and easily.

• Members

Basically I'm looking to setup a home studio for writing/recording myself. Guitar, vocals, bass - no 'real' drums. Not yet at least, I'll be doing them via midi.

These are my impressions so far - please correct me if I need it.

Protools/alsihad - I've used a little bit. My impression is that there's no a lot midi-wise, you HAVE to use their hardware (digidesign, m-box etc) and is fairly spendy. I know it's "industry standard" but I don't think that means it's better than anything else.

Logic - Looks friggin awesome, loads of bundled plugins, heaps of midi stuff. Not cheap and requires a Mac. I'm not sure it's worth spending the extra on a Mac when I could get a similar spec'd PC for cheaper (I'll need a new computer soon).

Cubase - I just started reading about it today, looks pretty cool but I don't know much about it. Not sure which one would be appropriate (essentials, studio etc).

Ardour - Freeware DAW that works well on linux distros. I dunno what hardware/software that I'll want to use will be supported. It may be more trouble than it's worth.

There's some other DAWs here I'll have to read up on.

• Members

atm the momnet i use garageband, but ive downloaded demos of ableton live lite, reaper, and thaats it so far, i dont like either ableton or reaper, however for the simples garageband works pretty good, and im looking at getting cubase or logic studio at some point

While I own and use several different things, my primary DAW application is Pro Tools 8.1 HD2 Accel.

It kicks butt and takes names. While it took a while, MIDI is finally where I really wanted it to be (I was a longtime Notator / Logic user), the bundled plugins and VI apps are pretty darned good (and anything you could possibly want is available as a third party plugin), and the integrated DSP allows me to do things you just can't do on a 100% "Native" DAW. As far as audio recording / editing / mixing is concerned, I've yet to find anything else that is as elegant, fast and capable.

The fact that it's the closest thing we have to an "industry standard" (the way 2" tape was 20 years ago) is just a bonus.

• Members

While I own and use several different things, my primary DAW application is Pro Tools 8.1 HD2 Accel.

It kicks butt and takes names. While it took a while, MIDI is finally where I really wanted it to be (I was a longtime Notator / Logic user), the bundled plugins and VI apps are pretty darned good (and anything you could possibly want is available as a third party plugin), and the integrated DSP allows me to do things you just can't do on a 100% "Native" DAW. As far as audio recording / editing / mixing is concerned, I've yet to find anything else that is as elegant, fast and capable.

The fact that it's the closest thing we have to an "industry standard" (the way 2" tape was 20 years ago) is just a bonus.

jealousy is a horrible thing. :cry:

• Members

I've been meaning to try Reaper!

currently have been using Live for years. partly because the lite version came free with my soundcard (so full was half-price), but also because of the slick UI and awesome plugins! it also helps that things aren't tied down to a tempo if you dont want them to be. it can be very freeform.

• Members

Ableton is incredible for songwriting. If you come up with an idea you like but dont want to use right now you can just "shelve" it in the clip view, trigger it later and it will play back in time over what you've already got.

I tried logic but writing purely in the arrangement window wasnt fun at all.

• Members

I use Nuendo because I LOVE IT!!!!

Yeah, Nuendo is pretty much the ultimate, IMHO.

I have tried them all and the workflow in Nuendo is unmatched.

You can also control other DAW's with it, like Abelton or FL, or well, a lot of other programs. So let's say you love Fruity Loops but hate the sound of your files when you Bounce them out. You can run FL through Nuendo and use its sound engine to render and get a better quality.

The routing and editing are a breeze too.

I also love Sound Forge as my main wave editor, nothing else touches it in my opinion.

and Wave Lab for mastering. Being able to flip your effects chain around is what really makes it awesome.

so yeah, Nuendo!

(and if you love Cubase SX, Nuendo is pretty much the same thing, just bigger and badder assed)

Archived