Chorus: What's a cheap route to a great, not-noisy, classic-sounding chorus pedal?

arcadesonfire

• Members

Hi folks,

I need a chorus pedal for my band at the moment. I've got an 18v Cool Cat and i love that kind of phasey, classic chorusing. But unfortunately, the pedal has a significant effect on tone (and a bit of noise) just by being plugged into my setup. (I always have my Plexi-ish amp up loud, so my setup already has a fair amount of noise)

So i want a pedal with that kind of sound, but more transparent when not flipped on (and hopefully one that works on 9v). I've built and modded pedals before, so what do you think is my best bet to get what i'm looking for for under $100. Can you recommend models i should look at and/or any mods that would improve cheap models?

Thanks!!!

• Members

amazingly enough, those Fender Starcaster Chorus pedals are actually kinda good. My wife got one from Target for me (what does she know right? she was being nice) and it sounds pretty damn good. I've even taken it in some pretty major sessions and gotten compliments on it (and this engineer doesnt compliment ANYTHING easily).

It even has bass and treble controls to dial in plus you can control the amount of chorus in your signal (and the obligatory rate and depth controls).

Its maybe $40 tops but its not a bad pedal by any stretch. who knew?

• Members

DodFX65.jpg
I like this one (DOD FX-65 Stereo Chorus) as much as my CE-2. I got it used for $30.

+1

I use this one too. It's on my Pedal board. Around $30 delivered on eBay.

I just got a second one for a spare.

I also have a Ibanez CS9 Reissue and CS-505 and a Dano Milkshake chorus.

I had a the real CS-9. I liked the reissue better. (quieter) The CS-505 is cool but needs 18 volts. Dunlop makes an adapter.

My favorite of the 3 is the Dano Milkshake. Around $30.00 delivered on eBay.

Archived