A Serious Question About Creativity....

companyman

• Members

:thu:

I think I am aware when I am wasting my time.....I feel like I am not going to get any better at playing guitar, and it doesn't really matter if I do. Painting on the otherhand, each step I take toward it, it takes 2 towards me....then sprints away again just before I reach it, and the process starts over again....like a tango or something...
:lol:

Oh, and FWIW, i did roughly what you are talking about, but in reverse, about fifteen years ago. I don't make pictures so much any more. I don't actively NOT make them or anything. They just don't tend to get made. Lots of other things do though.

For me, i wound up not having to make any 'official' decision, it just was. The jettisoning of the unnecessary is one of (unfortunately very) few things i don't have to think too hard about. :o

Anyhow, if you accidentally drop something useful, it is generally easy enough to reacquire things like guitars and amps later should you need to.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I was in grad school, I had a professor (who has since become quite successful in the international Art market), tell me that dalliances in music would be detrimental to my development as a visual Artist. I always have that statement echoing around in my brain each time I pick up the guitar, I feel guilty. Any opinions?

I don't see how it would hinder your "creativity". In fact, I'm sure everyone's creativity would benefit from being exposed to as many art forms as possible. But there are alot of creative people without the time or discipline to really hone a craft, and that might be where dalliances in music could hurt you. But when you're young, I think it's a good idea to try out as many things as you can until you find your niche. You never know what is ultimately going to "click".

I went to film school with a guy who was a very talented filmmaker. In all my time at school, he was one of only two students I met who really seemed to have a special talent for making films. His films just seemed more fully formed and deeper than the other student work. He was a very visual filmmaker, too.

He also played guitar, but it was just an acoustic he would strum at parties. He didn't really seem to take it that seriously at the time, so I didn't think anything of it. It was really surprising when, after film school, he started doing that full time. Then, in what seemed like a very short amount of time, his "band" was all over the place (he's not radiohead, but it seems like he's been pretty successful. he even gets mentioned on here from time to time, even though he doesn't really use effect pedals).

• Members

I don't see how it would hinder your "creativity". In fact, I'm sure everyone's creativity would benefit from being exposed to as many art forms as possible. But there are alot of creative people without the time or discipline to really hone a craft, and that might be where dalliances in music could hurt you. But when you're young, I think it's a good idea to try out as many things as you can until you find your niche. You never know what is ultimately going to "click".

I went to film school with a guy who was a very talented filmmaker. In all my time at school, he was one of only two students I met who really seemed to have a special talent for making films. His films just seemed more fully formed and deeper than the other student work. He was a very visual filmmaker, too.

He also played guitar, but it was just an acoustic he would strum at parties. He didn't really seem to take it that seriously at the time, so I didn't think anything of it. It was really surprising when, after film school, he started doing that full time. Then, in what seemed like a very short amount of time, his "band" was all over the place (he's not radiohead, but it seems like he's been pretty successful. he even gets mentioned on here from time to time, even though he doesn't really use effect pedals).

I am not young......

• Members

I am not young......

well, young is relative. you mentioned grad school. so, i figured mid to late twenties or so. relatively young, when when we're talking about a career. the guy i mentioned didn't start his music career until after grad school.

of course, maybe grad school was a long time ago for you or you went when you were much older. either way, my advice stands for someone who is still n school or just out of school - try as many things as you can, but be disciplined enough to hone your craft once you find your niche.

• Members

well, young is relative. you mentioned grad school. so, i figured mid to late twenties or so. relatively young, when when we're talking about a career. the guy i mentioned didn't start his music career until after grad school.

of course, maybe grad school was a long time ago for you or you went when you were much older. either way, my advice stands for someone who is still n school or just out of school - try as many things as you can, but be disciplined enough to hone your craft once you find your niche.

• Members

What about people who write lyrics AND music? nothing wrong with that.

that's a little different....

upper echelon Art dealers just aren't going to back a jack of all trades, master of none type creative person over a singularly dedicated creative person. At least I don't think they would...

• Members

upper echelon Art dealers just aren't going to back a jack of all trades, master of none type creative person over a singularly dedicated creative person. At least I don't think they would...

Your decision about whether or not to play music or fully devote yourself to your art should be 100% about what you want to do/create, not about what other people think about you. Focus entirely on art if its what you think will lead you to create your best work, not if you think it will impress art dealers

• Members

hey, who says i can't just be a master of all?

• Members

Your decision about whether or not to play music or fully devote yourself to your art should be 100% about what you want to do/create, not about what other people think about you. Focus entirely on art if its what you think will lead you to create your best work, not if you think it will impress art dealers

I couldn't agree more, the work I aspire to needs to be backed financially....I have been starving for as long as some of you have been alive.

• Members

At the same time, what you might define as "hard work", i might define as "compulsive obsession".

End result: Lots of drawings.

Is it because Picasso felt he needed to 'work harder' at his art(as it seems the OP is implying), and forced himself to work harder, to work better? Or is it because he simply wasn't capable of leaving the bull subject alone until it looked 'right' to him?

Of course it's foolish to try to generalize about anything, particularly art, soI can't defend myself that vigorously here. All I can say is that every time I've seen a retrospective of any artist, the fact that they were working through something to an ideal was pretty glaringly obvious just by looking at their work over time - sometimes with very distinct stages (like Picasso or Deibenkorn (sp?)) and other times via a very linear transformation (like Rothko). Whether it was OCD at work or just a cohesive vision - the world may never know. I suspect, however, that if you ever desire to leave something expressing a clear vision in your wake, it's probably going to take a sustained effort to generate something that will survive the froth.

• Members

Of course it's foolish to try to generalize about anything, particularly art, soI can't defend myself that vigorously here. All I can say is that every time I've seen a retrospective of any artist, the fact that they were working through something to an ideal was pretty glaringly obvious just by looking at their work over time - sometimes with very distinct stages (like Picasso or Deibenkorn (sp?)) and other times via a very linear transformation (like Rothko). Whether it was OCD at work or just a cohesive vision - the world may never know. I suspect, however, that if you ever desire to leave something expressing a clear vision in your wake, it's probably going to take a sustained effort to generate something that will survive the froth.

Diebenkorn is an interesting example of someone permutating a simplification into a career spanning ouvre. Art making (of any sort) is closely related to OCD-like behavior, there is most definitely a compulsion involved. The key lies in self-editing.

• Members

If you respect the guy, what's the harm in following his advice (at least until you can fully develop your own solid opinion on the matter)?

Maybe I missed something, but it looks like most of the people who replied in this thread disagreed with your prof?

Archived